Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders…

Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders (edition 2010)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:AuntieClio
Title:Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:2012 SantaThing, 75 in 2013, January TIOLI, None Yet

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman (Author)

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    moonstormer: Fragile Things contains a short story with the same character as is in American Gods. Both are highly recommended.
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (moonstormer)
    moonstormer: the short story in Fragile Things - Monarch of the Glen - is very related to Beowulf and could be seen as an interesting commentary.
    The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke (Larkken)
    Larkken: The short stories contained in each anthology have a similar feel, and both, to some degree, play with traditional fairy tale themes. Clarke's novel benefits from reading her debut novel, as her collection is placed in the same world.
    Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Not all circuses are for your amusement. Choose wisely which one to attend.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    We Never Talk About My Brother by Peter S. Beagle (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "Ah. My story. Are you certain you wish to hear it? It is long, unlikely, and remarkably unedifying -- shameful, even, to come from a minister's lips. Blasphemous, too, properly regarded."
    A Pack of Lies by Geraldine McCaughrean (fyrefly98)
    The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm by Ellen Datlow (veracity)
    The Fate of Mice by Susan Palwick (MyriadBooks)
    The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis (sturlington)
    sturlington: One of Gaiman's stories speculates on what Susan did after the events in The Last Battle.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (PghDragonMan)

English (157)  French (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (164)
Not only is this the first time I've read Neil Gaiman, it has also been a long time since I've read anything like what he wrote that is included in this short story collection. So, there were a lot of times when I'd read something to the end, and think "What the h--- was that?!" and backtrack and re-read it. A lot of these stories really stuck with me.

This collection has a bit of everything: there's horror, paranormal, sci-fi, fantasy -- in some stories, there's more than one of these elements present.

There's also some poems, mainly light verse, which didn't do much for me. The final piece in this collection is billed as a novella, but really is more like a long short story. The novella was quite good.

I definitely am going to seek out his other writings although I think some would work better for me than others.

"...--I had to go to the store, I had decided, to bring back some apples--and I went past the store that sold apples and I kept driving, and driving. I was going south, and west, because if I went north or east I would run out of world too soon." (p. 85, from the short story "Bitter Grounds") ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Dec 8, 2014 |
Os nove contos de 'Coisas Frágeis' trazem Gaiman abordando os mais diversos temas, misturando puberdade, punk rock e ficção científica em 'Como Conversar com Garotas nas Festas'; combinando o Sherlock Holmes de sir Arthur Conan Doyle com o terror de H. P. Lovecraft em 'Um Estudo em Esmeralda'; extrapolando o mundo de Matrix em 'Golias', inspirado no roteiro original do primeiro filme; ou mesmo presenteando a filha mais velha com um conto fantástico sobre um clube de epicuristas em 'O Pássaro-do-Sol'. 'Coisas Frágeis' é um tratado prático de como escrever boas histórias - histórias que, como diz a introdução do livro, 'duram mais que todas as pessoas que as contaram, e algumas duram muito mais que as próprias terras onde elas foram criadas'.
  melissa.gamador | Sep 4, 2014 |
While this book is not so bad, I think it is not by far Gaiman's best book. I thought that the short stories were not as remarkable as the ones in Smoke and Mirrors, save for one or two that were a bit more entertaining. It really felt like Neil Gaiman, unlike in Smoke and Mirrors and The Dream Hunters, didn't really put his heart and soul into this book. It felt... unattached, for the lack of a better word. Some of the stories were even a tad boring, as if the magic of the "parallel universes" that seem so present in his other books simply wasn't here. It wasn't a bad book, it just felt like there wasn't a soul in it. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
I don't often read anthologies of short stories, but I love Gaiman's work, and this was good fun to have on the go alongside whatever novel I've been reading, and to dip in and out of. In fact at one point I read a few too many of them in a row and found that was too much concentrated weird all in one go, and left me feeling a bit peculiar. Which I suspect says something good about these stories. It's a while since I started, so it's probably not fair to try and compare them, but I really did love the last longer one, set in the same world as American Gods. Whetted my appetite to re-read that too. Very good. ( )
  lnr_blair | Jul 12, 2014 |
This is the first Gaiman that I've read, and I have to say, I was impressed. All of the stories were more than decent, and quite a few were fantastic. "Other People" sticks out in my head - it had me lying awake thinking about it for nights afterwards, creepy and disturbing as it was. Overall great writing, and a nice collection of stories. I plan on reading more of his work soon. ( )
  ashleyk44 | Jul 8, 2014 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
佳織, 野沢翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beest, Emmy vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
瑞人, 金原翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Beest, EmmyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ray Bradbury and Harlan Ellison, and the late Robert Sheckley, masters of the craft
"I think...that I would rather recollect a life mis-spent on fragile things than spent avoiding moral dept." The words turned up in a dream and I wrote them down upon waking, uncertain what they meant or to whom they applied.

Collects these stories
"A Study in Emerald"
"The Fairy Reel"
"October in the Chair"
"The Hidden Chamber"
"Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire"
"The Flints of Memory Lane"
"Closing Time"
"Going Wodwo"
"Bitter Grounds"
"Other People"
"Keepsakes and Treasures"
"Good Boys Deserve Favors"
"The Facts in the Case of the Disappearance of Miss Finch"
"Strange Little Girls"
"Harlequin Valentine"
"Locks"
"The Problem of Susan"
"Instructions"
"How Do You Think It Feels?"
"My Life"
"Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot"
"Feeders and Eaters"
"Diseasemaker's Croup"
"In the End"
"Goliath"
"Pages from a Journal Found in a Shoebox left in a Greyhound Bus Somewhere Between Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Lousville, Kentucky"
"How to Talk to Girls at Parties"
"The Day the Saucers Came"
"Sunbird"
"Inventing Aladdin"
"The Monarch of the Glen"

A mysterious circus terrifies an audience for one extraordinary performance before disappearing into the night, taking one of the spectators along with it . . .

In a novella set two years after the events of American Gods, Shadow pays a visit to an ancient Scottish mansion, and finds himself trapped in a game of murder and monsters . . .

In a Hugo Award-winning short story set in a strangely altered Victorian England, the great detective Sherlock Holmes must solve a most unsettling royal murder . . .

Two teenage boys crash a party and meet the girls of their dreams—and nightmares . . .

In a Locus Award-winning tale, the members of an excusive epicurean club lament that they've eaten everything that can be eaten, with the exception of a legendary, rare, and exceedingly dangerous Egyptian bird . . .

Such marvelous creations and more—including a short story set in the world of The Matrix, and others set in the worlds of gothic fiction and children's fiction—can be found in this extraordinary collection, which showcases Gaiman's storytelling brilliance as well as his terrifyingly entertaining dark sense of humor. By turns delightful, disturbing, and diverting, Fragile Things is a gift of literary enchantment from one of the most unique writers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:30 -0400)

A collection of more than twenty-five short fictional works follows a theme of the intersections between life and death, perception and reality, and darkness and light.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,481,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible