Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin…

Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again (edition 2011)

by Craig Hatkoff, Juliana Hatkoff, Isabella Hatkoff

Member:Crystal.Axelson
Title:Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again
Authors:Craig Hatkoff
Other authors:Juliana Hatkoff, Isabella Hatkoff
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2011), Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:non-fiction

Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned To Swim Again by Juliana Hatkoff

I loved this book! The main message was to never give up and that you can overcome any obstacle that life puts in front of you. One reason I liked this book was because of the pictures. They were actual photographs of Winter without her tail, the prosthetic tail that was built for her, and her trainers working with her. The pictures also had labels to go along with them, so the child knew exactly what was happening in the photo. For example, there is a picture of Winter and another older dolphin, and the caption is "Panama lets Winter trail just behind her, the way baby dolphins follow their mothers". The other reason I liked this book was because of how they personified Winter. They talk about how she was an inspiration that all people could relate to, that she would struggle which showed she still had the heart and energy to try to protect herself, and that she learned to trust her owners. Children need to understand that animals are living creatures and require help and love just like us. ( )
  jperro2 | Feb 28, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book for several reasons. I liked the writing of the book and how it was told in an engaging way. It told the story from where a dolphin named Winter lost her tail in the lagoon where she lived when she got stuck in a crabbing net. The book talked about the struggles Winter had to face not only without a tail, but also being taken away from her home and being placed in an aquarium in order for her to heal and get healthy again. I enjoyed the pictures because they are actual pictures of winter. There were several pictures of winter without her tail which served as a great visual. The message of the book teaches readers that with a positive attitude, you can make the best of every situation. Even though Winter was taken away from her home and placed in an aquarium in order to heal from her lost tail, she always had hope and showed readers that anything is possible. It also teaches readers that even if you lose something that you need on a daily basis, if you don’t give up, anything is possible. ( )
  jobend2 | Feb 4, 2014 |
Juliana, Isabella and Craig Hatkoff - the author team that produced Looking For Miza: The True Story of the Mountain Gorilla Family Who Rescued One of Their Own and Knut: How One Little Polar Bear Captivated The World (Isabella and Craig also worked on Owen & Mzee: The True Story Of A Remarkable Friendship) - turn their attention to the story of Winter the tailless dolphin in this moving and informative picture-book. Injured when she becomes caught in the lines of a crab trap set in Florida's Mosquito Lagoon, a very young dolphin is rescued and brought to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, where she is named Winter (due to the coldness of the season) and nursed back to health. When her tail, badly damaged in her ordeal, falls off, and Winter begins compensating by swimming in a manner that her trainers think will damage her spine, Kevin Carroll of Hanger Prosthetics and Orthotics steps in, and offers to design a prosthetic tail...

I must be living under a rock, but until a goodreads friend reviewed Winter's Tail, I was unfamiliar with this story, and had no idea that a film had been made from it! Now that I am aware, I am quite keen to see Dolphin Tale, even though I understand that it takes some liberties with the facts of the case. I'd just love to see Winter actually swim around with her amazing tail! I don't think I'd ever really considered prosthetics for injured and disabled animals before, so I found Winter's story quite informative, as well as heartwarming. It was interesting to me that the project to help Winter ended up helping human amputees as well, through the special gel that Carroll invented, to make Winter's tail more comfortable. A wonderful example of everyone benefiting from Carroll's good deed, in volunteering to help Winter!

Illustrated with photographs that document this amazing cetacean's journey, Winter's Tail is a book I would recommend to all young dolphin and marine life lovers, and to any picture-book readers who saw and enjoyed the film. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 21, 2013 |
I thought that this is a great book. It may be harder for some lower elementary children to read, but they could still get a great message out of the book. It is a great way to teach about overcoming obstacles and also a great way to teach about disabilities.
  Crystal.Axelson | Dec 6, 2012 |
When a dolphin became trapped in a crab net, her tail was so severely damaged that it fell off. She was rescued and taken to an aquarium where they taught Winter to swim again and ultimately to wear a prosthesis.
  gvclibrarian | Nov 26, 2012 |

The original hardcover upon which the major motion picture is based on!

When Winter was a baby, she was rescued from a crab trap, her tail seriously damaged, and rushed to Clearwater Marine Aquarium. Winter survived, but eventually her tail fell off. Then Winter received a prosthetic tail. It was very challenging but now Winter is thriving and using her new tail with great command. Every year, thousands of visitors travel to visit Winter who has become an inspiration to adults and children alike, especially to children who are amputees themselves. And now Winter's story is soon to be a major motion picture starring Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, and Harry Connick Jr.!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:32 -0400)

Describes the rescue and rehabilitation of a young Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, named Winter, who received an artificial tail after being badly injured when caught in a crab trap.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,657,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible