Retromancer by Robert Rankin

Retromancer (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Robert Rankin

Member:setnahkt
Title:Retromancer
Authors:Robert Rankin (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2011), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:science fiction, fantasy, humor, england, weird, alternate history

Retromancer by Robert Rankin (2009)

English (4)  French (1)  All languages (5)
Germany has won the Second World War and the whole England is firmly under the Nazi jackboot. America is shortly to be wiped out by an atomic bomb. Who will save mankind ? why of course Hugo Rune,assisted by Rizla his not always reliable assistant. There are also pirates and robots,and of course Rune's arch enemy Count Otto Black.
Being written by Robert Rankin the plot is as usual quite mad,but has also a curious sort of insane logic.
Very readable (if you are in the right frame of mind that is) and very,very funny. ( )
  devenish | Jun 5, 2012 |
Fun, although the Hugo Rune books aren't my favourite Rankin "thread". I do worry that he's now going through the motions rather than doing anything genuinely new or creative. ( )
  pauliharman | Mar 15, 2011 |
'You have a plan, do you not?' I said.
'Naturally. Twelve cases and we win the war.'
'Twelve cases, I see.' And I did. Well, sort of.
It is always twelve cases, as I have told you before. It is always to do with time and it always involves the solving of twelve Cosmic Conundra. It is what I do and what I am.'
'And I will be proud to aid you' I said.

The teenage Jim Pooley is surprised when his aunt serves him bratwurst for breakfast one morning rather than bangers. When he ventures out into the streets of Brentford, he finds that apparently Germany won the war and he seems to be the only person in Brentford who knows that history has been changed, and wonders if this could be because Hugo Rune had already interfered with his time-line, so that their year-long adventures in Brighton (as chronicled in "The Brightonomicon") appeared to have taken a single day. After a run-in with the German authorities, he finds himself
waking up in World War II London, and working with Rune to re-set history and ensure that the Allies win the war. This involves investigating twelve cases under the aegis of the Ministry of Serendipity, whose secret headquarters are underneath Mornington Crescent tube station.

A great improvement over Necrophenia, which I read a couple of months ago. ( )
  isabelx | Feb 6, 2011 |
Another book centered around Hugo Rune “the most amazing man who ever lived” - a character that Rankin evidently enjoys writing about, and he does love this character, so his book is definitely enjoyable to read. The story opens in 1967, but in a 1967 where the Germans won WWII, so the characters go back in time to 1944 to correct this error. This story follows The Brightonomicon in time, but you do not need to have read that book to enjoy this one, it also follows the same general pattern of The Brightonomicon in that there are a dozen mysteries that are solved as the book progresses. Another fun read from Robert Rankin. ( )
  Calypso42 | Feb 4, 2011 |
For my good friend
Neil Gardner
With many many
many thanks
He named me Rizla, and for one extraordinary year I was his acolyte, his assistant and his amanuensis.

In the newest madcap adventure from Robert Rankin, history has gone askew and it's up to the one and only Hugo Rune to face down aliens and monsters galore in order to put everything in its right place

There is big and evil magic upon the face of the Earth, and history has consequently been changed. The Germans have won World War II; America is a nuclear wasteland; and worst of all the breakfast menu at the Wife's Legs Café in Brentford is serving bratwurst rather than the proper British sausage. When the world is all wrong and it needs setting right, the only hope left is Hugo Rune, a man who offers the world his genius and asks only that his expenses be covered. Hugo, also known as the hokus bloke, the Lad Himself, and the Retromancer, sets out to rewrite history the way it should be, with the aid of his faithful acolyte and companion Rizla. Together they return to war-torn London to solve the 12 cosmic conundrums based upon Hugo's personal tarot deck, each mystery leading them closer to a final terrifying confrontation. They must match their wits against beautiful spies, advanced alien technology, killer robots, and death rays; do battle with an ancient god; and come face to face once more with Hugo Rune's arch-enemy, the sinister Count Otto Black.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:55 -0400)

There is big and evil magic abroad upon the face of the Earth. History has been changed: the Germans won WWII, America is a nuclear wasteland, and The Wife's Legs Cafe is serving Bratwurst rather than the proper British banger. To set it all right, the world needs Hugo Rune, a man who offers the world his genius, and asks only that the world cover his expenses. Hugo's job rewriting history includes a faithful acolyte, beautiful spies, advanced alien technology, killer robots, death rays, an ancient god and Hugo's arch-enemy, the sinister County Otto Black.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible