The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution,…

The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789 (1982)

by Robert Middlekauff

Series: The Oxford History of the United States (3)

882None10,169 (4.05)15

I gave up.

I found this too dry for me to keep up with -- which is fair, because I tend to prefer narrative history. This tended toward the overexplaining side, rather than the storytelling side, which is fine for some and not for others. I'm in the others column. Ah well. ( )

lyrrael | Mar 14, 2014 |
This book is an extensive recounting of the Founding of America. Middlekauff begins with background knowledge, going back to the end of the French and Indian War. He ends with a chapter on the ratification of the Constitution. He does not give lots of details about all of the battles, but this is one of the most comprehensive overviews of the War for independence that I have had the privilege of reading. ( )
  torrey23 | Jun 1, 2013 |

Robert Middlekauffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kennedy, David M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lynch, Kathleen M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trumbull, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodward, C. VannIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Holly
"The use of traveling," Doctor Johnson wrote Mrs. Thrale, "is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 019531588X, Paperback)

Many histories of the American Revolution are written as if on stained glass, with George Washington's forces of good battling King George III's redcoat devils. The actual events were, of course, far more complex than that, and Robert Middlekauff undertakes the difficult task of separating the real from the mythic with great success. From him we learn that England taxed the colonials so heavily in an attempt to retire the massive debt incurred in defending those very colonials against other powers, notably France; that the writing of the Constitution was delayed for two years while states argued among themselves in the face of massive military losses; and that demographic shifts during the Revolution did much to increase America's ethic diversity at an early and decisive time. Vividly told, this is a superb account of the nation's founding.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:44 -0400)

"The first book to appear in the illustrious Oxford History of the United States, this critically acclaimed volume - a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize - offers an unsurpassed history of the Revolutionary War and the birth of the American republic." "This new edition has been revised and expanded, with fresh coverage of topics such as mob reactions to British measures before the War, military medicine, women's role in the Revolution, American Indians, the different kinds of war fought by the Americans and the British, and the ratification of the Constitution. It includes a new epilogue and an updated bibliography."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,460,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible