One Amazing Thing by Chitra Divakaruni

One Amazing Thing (edition 2010)

by Chitra Divakaruni

Member:newsomejp
Title:One Amazing Thing
Authors:Chitra Divakaruni
Info:Voice (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Lakewood Village Life
Rating:*****

One Amazing Thing by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

I had a problem with reading about 9 characters' stories within a 200 page book, perhaps, it is that there are so many left out details. I did not "feel" the characters' voices as much as I would have liked.

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
A well-written book that was entertaining enough. While I appreciated the challenge that Divakaruni set for herself, the stories themselves lacked a certain depth which would have made it a really great book. ( )
  eapalmer | Mar 8, 2014 |
What a wonderful read! I love the idea of throwing all these people together, unbeknownst to them, all at a crossroads. The storytelling was magical, as each person describes the single event in their life that completely changed their trajectory. Each story, filled with tragedy also held the joy that can come from adversity - like this opportunity to share and explore their own lives as they face the aftereffects of an earthquake that may mark their end.
I am in love with this concept of the single event that can change a life, so it really took me. Great writing and wonderful stories. ( )
  MarshaKT | Feb 2, 2014 |
I loved the background of the story, but I felt like Chitra could have built more onto this story to make it absolutley magical. Great plot, but would have liked to see more details and more in depth stories. But regardless, great book and power with words ( )
  Jjvye | Nov 8, 2013 |
We create stories and stories create us. It is a rondo.
--Chinua Achebe

If no one knows you, then you are no one.
--Dan Chaon
To my three men
Murthy
Anand
Abhay
When the first rumble came, no one in the visa office, down in the basement of the Indian consulate, thought anything of it.

Late afternoon in a passport and visa office in California, nine people are in the office when an earthquake rips through the building trapping these nine together struggling to survive.

Chitra Divakaruni is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Hyperion and Voice

Two editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 1401340997, 1401341586

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

One Amazing Thing by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,330,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible