One Amazing Thing by Chitra Divakaruni

One Amazing Thing (edition 2010)

by Chitra Divakaruni

Member:newsomejp
Title:One Amazing Thing
Authors:Chitra Divakaruni
Info:Voice (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Lakewood Village Life
Rating:*****

One Amazing Thing by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

The first thought that popped into my head as I read the synopsis was 'The Decameron'. For those of you who haven't read it, 'The Decameron' is about a group of people in ancient Italy? who flee to the mountains in order to escape the black plague, they then tell each other stories. That just seemed like it was so similar to this book, not a bad thing at all, it take guts to write a book stringing stories well together.

I liked this book for it's premise mostly. 'One Amazing Thing' started out a bit slow and then progressed a bit only to take a cliff dive off the deep end. Once the characters started to tell their stories, the whole book seemed to lose a bit of focus, and in turn as a reader, so did I. The characters were well thought of and the author did an excellent job putting these characters together in one place, and also with the choosing of the character's backgrounds. I just never felt that hook that draws you head first into a story. 'One Amazing Thing' was just ok, in my opinion. I still love the idea of the book though and it has an excellent theme; I'll let you figure it out for yourself. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
When an earthquake rips through the afternoon lull, trapping these nine characters together, their focus first jolts to their collective struggle to survive. There's little food. The office begins to flood. Then, at a moment when the psychological and emotional stress seems nearly too much for them to bear, the young graduate student suggests that each tell a personal tale, "one amazing thing" from their lives, which they have never told anyone before. And as their surprising stories of romance, marriage, family, political upheaval, and self-discovery unfold against the urgency of their life-or-death circumstances, the novel proves the transcendent power of stories and the meaningfulness of human expression itself.
  pj100pl | Sep 28, 2014 |
I had a problem with reading about 9 characters' stories within a 200 page book, perhaps, it is that there are so many left out details. I did not "feel" the characters' voices as much as I would have liked.

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
A well-written book that was entertaining enough. While I appreciated the challenge that Divakaruni set for herself, the stories themselves lacked a certain depth which would have made it a really great book. ( )
  eapalmer | Mar 8, 2014 |
We create stories and stories create us. It is a rondo.
--Chinua Achebe

If no one knows you, then you are no one.
--Dan Chaon
To my three men
Murthy
Anand
Abhay
When the first rumble came, no one in the visa office, down in the basement of the Indian consulate, thought anything of it.

Late afternoon in a passport and visa office in California, nine people are in the office when an earthquake rips through the building trapping these nine together struggling to survive.

Chitra Divakaruni is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Hyperion and Voice

2 editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 1401340997, 1401341586

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

One Amazing Thing by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,341,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible