A Rainbow in the Night: The Tumultuous Birth…

A Rainbow in the Night: The Tumultuous Birth of South Africa

by Dominique Lapierre

English (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (4)
Mr. Lapierre relates the history of South Africa from 1652 when Dutchman Jan van Riebeeck lands in the Cape to plant lettuce to 1994 when Nelson Mandela becomes South Africa’s first black president. There are great hardships and great triumphs described and the perseverance of the African people is remarkable and commendable. Mr. Lapierre states in his bibliography that he “wanted to recount, as accurately as possible, a fabulous human epic” which I find he does very well. I admit that I didn’t know much about South Africa’s history and after reading Mr. Lapierre’s historical account have been awakened to the devastation that apartheid had caused for the South African people.

The book contains informative and moving images and the appendices contain a short summary of what each noted person is doing today, some excerpts of the seventeen hundred laws and measures instituted by apartheid legislators, a chronology, a glossary, a bibliography, an explanation and some information on charitable organizations, image credits, acknowledgments and a very thorough index. I commend Mr. Lapierre’s hard work in researching and writing this book and his humanitarian efforts to help destitute children in India, Africa, and South America to where half of the royalties of this book are donated.

Thank you to Mr. Lapierre and De Capo Press for giving me the opportunity to review this book. ( )
  sherton | Jun 24, 2010 |
I have to admit, I didn't know much about Africa's history. This book has made a huge impact on me and I ached for the people of Africa and what they had to endure the apartheid. There are a few pages of photos included in the book which I think was a great addition. Although the subject matter was at times very difficult to read, I'm glad I finished it. There was also a great deal of other information that I found very interesting. I loved reading about the day to day lives of the people. My favorite was Chris Barnard. I was amazed by his carreer and also loved reading about his family life. I thought this would read like a text book, but I was wrong. It's like reading fiction, and it's hard to put down. It's a book I think everyone needs to read this, especially those of us who really don't know much about the history of Africa. ( )
  VickiLN | Jan 30, 2010 |
Each one of us is as intimately attached to the soil of this beautiful country as are the famous jacaranda trees of Pretoria and the mimosa trees of the bushweld...--a rainbow nation at peace with itself and the world. --Nelson Mandela
To Helen Lieberman and to all those--whites, blacks, and coloreds--who put an end to apartheid oppression and brought about the triumph of freedom, unity, truth, and reconciliation.
Pillage, rape, murder: it was a sixteenth-century crusade against heresy so violent it was almost unique in history. Hollands' northern provinces were engulfed in flames and blood, occupied by savage troops sent from pious Spain.

In 1652 a small group of Dutch farmers landed on the southernmost tip of Africa. Sent by the powerful Dutch India Company, their mission was simply to grow vegetables and supply ships rounding the cape. The colonists, however, were convinced by their strict Calvinist faith that they were among God’s “Elect,” chosen to rule over the continent. Their saga—bloody, ferocious, and fervent—would culminate three centuries later in one of the greatest tragedies of history: the establishment of a racist regime in which a white minority would subjugate and victimize millions of blacks. Called apartheid, it was a poisonous system that would only end with the liberation from prison of one of the moral giants of our time, Nelson Mandela.

A Rainbow in the Night is Dominique Lapierre’s epic account of South Africa’s tragic history and the heroic men and women—famous and obscure, white and black, European and African—who have, with their blood and tears, brought to life the country that is today known as the Rainbow Nation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:23 -0400)

"A Rainbow in the Night" is Lapierre's epic account of South Africa's tragic history and the heroic men and women--famous and obscure, white and black--who have, with their blood and tears, brought to life the country that is today known as the Rainbow Nation.… (more)

6 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible