Lover Mine by J.R. Ward
Recently added byEisler, TexasBookLover7, Alwaysmidnight, Destiny_Burns, seanbata, private library, LaMala, kjn5579

These books are campy, cheesy, adventurous, and original. I hate that I love reading these.

It reminds me of when I go to the grocery and buy something like fiery hot Cheetos, or bacon flavored SPAM. Or even those cheap pot pies in the frozen section, or a bag of pork rinds. I have to shop produce first because then I can...or ONE can hide them under the healthy food. You don't want people to know that you love those things but you can't stop buying them from time to time, or in this case, reading them.

So I've heard.... ( )
  fueledbycoffee | Jun 21, 2015 |
I still love this book even the second time around! ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Lover Mine: the Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Good

-Xhex. I've loved Xhex since LR and have enjoyed the dance of attraction between her and JM. Seeing her finally accept love was beautiful. I was hoping that she would maintain her toughness and for the most part she did. I loved how she rescued her damn self and didn't need the others to come get her. Hell, they couldn't even find her! If Ward had turned the only badass female in the series into another damsel in distress I would've thrown the book out right then.

-JM finally grows a set. Thank the Virgin. I know he's been through a lot but the male's never ending whining was starting to drive me crazy. He manned up and now is truly a man of worth. The scenes where he takes Xhex through his childhood really showed me how much he's grown and how much he trusted Xhex.

-Darius/Tohr flashbacks. I loved how Darius took care of Tohr when he was so young. The love and respect they had for each other. Makes me hurt for modern Tohr. He's lost so much.

-Blay finally got laid. Thanks be to the Scribe. The male is just a year or so out of transition. Stop moping over some guy that may or may not be into you and find yourself a slice of happiness.

-Payne. She's made it to this side and she's pissed the Scribe lied to her about Vishous. I can't wait to see her and V bond and the reactions of the Brotherhood. April is sooo far away. Waiting for her story will be sweet torture! The male set up to be her HEA I don't really care about but maybe Ward will change my mind.

Bad

That paranormal reality show crap. Sweet Virgin in the Fade why did that go on so damn long? It really took up space that could've been used to flesh out other things. I think Mhurder's going to be a great character but this was a shoddy way to introduce him.

I must be the only fan in the BDB fandom that doesn't really care about Qhuay. I love Qhuinn and Blay a lot but they are young males barely out of transition. They just aren't interesting to me. I'd love to get slices of life with them but the whole Qhuay angst makes me want to shove a dagger in my eye.

Where was Beth? JM is her long lost brother and a female he cares about is missing. Where is she to support him? Beth is the whole reason JM exists in the first place and they share one off screen encounter? I call shennanigans!

No'One. So we finally find out she's Xhex's mom. This should've been a very powerful scene. Not something tacked on the end as Xhex is getting ready to be mated. And Xhex just accepting this stranger dropping in from the Otherside? I don't buy it. It was too rushed.

Ugly

Ward needs to stop with the rape and kidnapping. I know it serves up big drama but enough is enough. It's starting to feel like a cheap ploy for emotion and it shouldn't. Obviously if the raped or kidnapped person is the hero or heroine they will survive the ordeal because we need the HEA to happen. So why do it?

Horrible use of the healing power of sex. I really couldn't buy the whole 48 hours after freeing herself from the son of all evil Xhex was ready to get down with her male. Even though it's a romance I still wanted to see a little more time go by before she jumped in the sack with JM. I didn't want the whole book to focus on her getting over it but isn't there something in between?

Where was Rehvenge? I kept turning pages looking for how he and Xhex connected. Twenty five years he whored himself out to the Sympath Princess to keep their secret. How did they even meet? Did I miss something? Seriously, I'm doing a re-read of LAv because it seems like a big honking hole to me. I know everything can't be put in but maybe if less time was spent on the reality tv show there could've been more time for the Xhex/Rehv relationship. They were a big part of each other's lives and he should've been in LM more. ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
So...gah this is a hard one to review. I wish I would have reread the rest before I read this one, I think I would have had a stronger reaction to all the events. J.R. Ward holds nothing back in this book, torturing her characters with seeming glee. I have been in love with JM for a LONG time now and am so happy to see him get his HEA in this book.

The characters: you know how I feel about gorgeous and sex incarnate JM. I think Xhex and I are on ok terms, she is the one with JM's heart and since I can't have it, I guess that she is pretty cool. I do have to give her props, I don't think I could have survived what she did.

The plot: moves rather quickly and seamlessly. I am glad to see some new characters and get a tiny taste of the old ones. I heart all the brothers and it's awesome to still see them all happy and well. The ending is a good one as well, although I won't give it away! Enjoy :) ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
The battle between good and evil rages on in the newest installment of J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Lover Mine is John Matthew and Xhex’s story. In previous books, these two have shared intense fellings for each other but did not establish a permanent relationship. At the end of Lover Avenged Xhex was kidnapped by Lash when the Brotherhoods stormed the sympath colony to save Rhevenge. Lash is the ForeLesser and bad boy son of the Omega.

Lover Mine by JR Ward picks up right where Lover Avenged left off. John is fervently looking for Xhex. His hope is to find her alive, but being out in the field with the Brotherhood, John realizes he very well just may be searching for a body. John seeks out Trez and iAm to try and get any information that may help locate Xhex. The Shadows have information about a drug meeting between Lash and Caldwell’s biggest importer. From this meeting John and the Brothers are able to track Mr. D (Lash’s second in command) back to a non-descript brownstone. It’s obvious that Xhex had been kept here, but because of Lash’s spell, no one can see that she’s still there and they leave without her.

There are also several secondary story lines that weave into the main story. Depending on what kind of reader you are, this will either distract from or enhance the main story. For me, it made it better and did not detract from the main story at all.

My interest in this series has been heightened again because of Lover Mine. There are so many questions that I would like to have answered and so many happily ever afters I still want to see. I took my time reading this book so I could savor it. The writing is superb and flows well. New elements were added to the series, conflicts resolved and yet there are still things that hold my interest. I cannot wait for the next book. Lover Mine is an amazing story and Ward is such a talented author. I’ve heard several people say that after the last couple of books, they were giving up on the series. To those people, please read Lover Mine before you make that decision. In the end Lover Mine really adds to the continuing saga of the Black Dagger Brotherhood and will have a place on my keeper shelf. ( )
  Once-Upon-a-Chapter | Nov 9, 2014 |
DEDICATED TO YOU:

I cannot believe you and I have come so far.
Your book is not a goodbye, however-
just another beginning.
But you're used to that...
He wished he had more time.
Sometimes you had to sandblast in order to clean something properly. -- p. 372
Gray and acid yellow and hot pink. Really? You really think that's hot? -- p. 446
He'd read that book, seen the movie, bought the sound track, the DVD, the T-shirt, the mug, the bobble-head, and the insider's guide. -- p. 446

Newly made vampire John Matthew vows to free his mate, the symphath Xhexania, from Lash, a paranoid coke addict who's transmuting into a nontemporal entity like his vampire-killer father, the Omega. Once freed, Xhexania joins the Brothers in battling the Omega, but refuses to acknowledge her emotional connection to John. Meanwhile, sexually promiscuous Qhuinn, shockingly jealous of his cousin Saxton's new lover, wonders whether he should have seduced Saxton when he had the chance.

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly war raging between vampires and their slayers. And there exists a secret band of brothers like no other - vampire warriors, defenders of their race...John Matthew has been through his vampire transition and taken to the life of the Brotherhood with a vengeance, but he still can't shake the nightmare of his past and is unsure of his future as a warrior hero. He's made a promise to honour the Brotherhood and their fight with the slayers at all costs, until the love of his life is kidnapped and he is forced to make a choice that could change his life and the Brotherhood's forever...… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,857,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible