Lover Mine by J.R. Ward

So...gah this is a hard one to review. I wish I would have reread the rest before I read this one, I think I would have had a stronger reaction to all the events. J.R. Ward holds nothing back in this book, torturing her characters with seeming glee. I have been in love with JM for a LONG time now and am so happy to see him get his HEA in this book.

The characters: you know how I feel about gorgeous and sex incarnate JM. I think Xhex and I are on ok terms, she is the one with JM's heart and since I can't have it, I guess that she is pretty cool. I do have to give her props, I don't think I could have survived what she did.

The plot: moves rather quickly and seamlessly. I am glad to see some new characters and get a tiny taste of the old ones. I heart all the brothers and it's awesome to still see them all happy and well. The ending is a good one as well, although I won't give it away! Enjoy :) ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
The battle between good and evil rages on in the newest installment of J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Lover Mine is John Matthew and Xhex’s story. In previous books, these two have shared intense fellings for each other but did not establish a permanent relationship. At the end of Lover Avenged Xhex was kidnapped by Lash when the Brotherhoods stormed the sympath colony to save Rhevenge. Lash is the ForeLesser and bad boy son of the Omega.

Lover Mine by JR Ward picks up right where Lover Avenged left off. John is fervently looking for Xhex. His hope is to find her alive, but being out in the field with the Brotherhood, John realizes he very well just may be searching for a body. John seeks out Trez and iAm to try and get any information that may help locate Xhex. The Shadows have information about a drug meeting between Lash and Caldwell’s biggest importer. From this meeting John and the Brothers are able to track Mr. D (Lash’s second in command) back to a non-descript brownstone. It’s obvious that Xhex had been kept here, but because of Lash’s spell, no one can see that she’s still there and they leave without her.

There are also several secondary story lines that weave into the main story. Depending on what kind of reader you are, this will either distract from or enhance the main story. For me, it made it better and did not detract from the main story at all.

My interest in this series has been heightened again because of Lover Mine. There are so many questions that I would like to have answered and so many happily ever afters I still want to see. I took my time reading this book so I could savor it. The writing is superb and flows well. New elements were added to the series, conflicts resolved and yet there are still things that hold my interest. I cannot wait for the next book. Lover Mine is an amazing story and Ward is such a talented author. I’ve heard several people say that after the last couple of books, they were giving up on the series. To those people, please read Lover Mine before you make that decision. In the end Lover Mine really adds to the continuing saga of the Black Dagger Brotherhood and will have a place on my keeper shelf. ( )
  Once-Upon-a-Chapter | Nov 9, 2014 |
I'd been looking forward to reading John and Xhex's story for a while, ever since the tentative flirting relationship started between them. There's a lot of angst in their romance, but Xhex is one awesomely tough cookie, and they make it through.

I could have done without thee whole "Lash rapes Xhex repeatedly" thing at the beginning of the book, because I really hate it when strong female characters (who are in very short supply in this series) are raped. But Xhex adapts, like she always does, and in the end, I was relatively happy with how the book ended. I especially like the whole "destiny" thing between Xhex and John/Darius, in which it's revealed that Darius saved the life of Xhex and named her.

The whole thing with Lash, once again, bored me, and by this time I wanted him to die a slow and painful death. I didn't exactly get my wish. The Lesser Society is really coming across as a circus show now, not anything like the group of murderers who are pretty much taking down the vampire race, and I find them more laughable than anything now. The less time dedicated to them in future books, the better, I think.

What really stole the show for me in this book was Blaylock and Qhuinn's troubled friendship/relationship. Blay's love for Qhuinn has always come across as one-sided on his part, but in this book, it's revealed that Qhuinn does have feelings for Blay - he's just stuck in this whole "I have to accomplish what is on my mental list to be happy" kind of funk. And Blay definitely isn't on that list, at least not yet. I didn't mind Blay's relationship with Saxton, who is Qhuinn's cousin; in fact, I was rather happy about it, because seeing Blay pine for a guy who treats him poorly isn't exactly fun, and I really like the character of Blay. I have a feeling that Qhuinn and Blay will end up together eventually somehow down the road, and I'm looking forward to reading that story if/when it happens.

I felt like the whole story with Rathboone was a giant waste of time, even at the end when it was revealed why it was included.

And I really have a hard time liking Payne, and I know that her book is next in the series,so I'm not exactly jumping at the bit to read it. ( )
  schatzi | Oct 5, 2014 |
I have liked John and Xhex's relationship, but i think that J.R forgot how Xhex was before she was taken at the end of Lover Avenged. By the end of the book, Xhex was very sweet and I think she lost a little bit of herself on the course of the book, but it still was a great read. I can't wait to be done with Lover Unleashed so that I can start with Lover Reborn. People are saying great things about Tohr's story. :) ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Wow, where did this book come from? After about the third book in a series, I pretty much give up on being surprised by what an author brings to the table.

Surprise. This book was significantly better than previous books I've read by this author. Some may criticize this book as too "neat," but I found the final resolution of several seemingly-disparate plotlines satisfying. Well, satisfied to the point of crying for MORE PLEASE!

Focusing on John Matthew, this book also does a great job of progressing the stories of the other members of the Black Dagger brotherhood. Blaylock's story was particularly powerful. Not saying I enjoyed parts of it, as it was as painful as it was truthful. Well, until the author remembered she's writing a romance, and completely backed off from how much it sucks to love someone who will never love you back.

Anyway . . . very good story. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
DEDICATED TO YOU:

I cannot believe you and I have come so far.
Your book is not a goodbye, however-
just another beginning.
But you're used to that...
He wished he had more time.
Sometimes you had to sandblast in order to clean something properly. -- p. 372
Gray and acid yellow and hot pink. Really? You really think that's hot? -- p. 446
He'd read that book, seen the movie, bought the sound track, the DVD, the T-shirt, the mug, the bobble-head, and the insider's guide. -- p. 446

Newly made vampire John Matthew vows to free his mate, the symphath Xhexania, from Lash, a paranoid coke addict who's transmuting into a nontemporal entity like his vampire-killer father, the Omega. Once freed, Xhexania joins the Brothers in battling the Omega, but refuses to acknowledge her emotional connection to John. Meanwhile, sexually promiscuous Qhuinn, shockingly jealous of his cousin Saxton's new lover, wonders whether he should have seduced Saxton when he had the chance.

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly war raging between vampires and their slayers. And there exists a secret band of brothers like no other - vampire warriors, defenders of their race...John Matthew has been through his vampire transition and taken to the life of the Brotherhood with a vengeance, but he still can't shake the nightmare of his past and is unsure of his future as a warrior hero. He's made a promise to honour the Brotherhood and their fight with the slayers at all costs, until the love of his life is kidnapped and he is forced to make a choice that could change his life and the Brotherhood's forever...… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible