Lines on the Water: A Fisherman's Life on…

Lines on the Water: A Fisherman's Life on the Miramichi (1998)

by David Adams Richards

332338,203 (4)5

I picked this up as a sale/discard item from my local library and it just sat in a pile of similar items until I picked it up a few days ago. I wish I'd taken the trouble to read it before now.

The author's stamping-ground is thousand of miles away from mine, and many of his fishing methods and experiences are also many miles away from my own, metaphorically speaking. However, it certainly struck a chord once I gave it my attention. As a previous reviewer has said, it also has potential to appeal to a more general reader.

The more philosophically-minded angler will probably find parallels with their own experiences, thoughts and motivations, while the general reader may gain some insight into an angler's mindset, and how it can evolve.

A brief footnote: according to the circulation-sheet inside the book, this copy was loaned just three times during a shelf-life of seven years. Why did I choose to pass it by when it was on the shelves I was scanning regularly? ( )
  ten_floors_up | Jan 8, 2012 |
Winner of the Governor General's award in Canada, Lines on the Water: A Fisherman's Life on the Miramichi consists of the author's reminiscences about fishing on that river. Not having fished myself, I never thought that a book primarily about fly-fishing would be so compelling. David Adams Richards, writing in a simple and beautiful way, gives us a glimpse into this other world and helps us understand the relationship between man and nature, fisherman and fish. ( )
1 vote mathgirl40 | Sep 12, 2009 |
I love my river.I can tell you that.Each year there are days when the Miramichi shows its greatness- its true greatness- once again. And each year on the river, once or twice, I will meet men and women with a fire of generosity in them, of love for others that God required old prophets to have.
To peter McGrath and David Savage
As a boy, I dreamed of fishing before I went, and went fishing before I caught anything, and knew fishermen before I become one

David Adams Richards explores man's relationship with nature: whether fishing salmon on the Miramichi, hunting moose or deer, losing your way in the woods, or sneaking away from a bear. This book is about hunters and fishermen, about history and memory. Richards weaves together the tales that have informed his life as a fisherman. He has learned his skill from the guides and the poachers, the sports and the city slickers who have all fished the Miramichi. He learns about perseverance and respecting nature, and he reflects on the changes that the modern world has brought to the great river. Lines on the Water abounds with lore and wisdom, humor, and most of all, passion. -- Publisher's description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,400,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible