Freedom (TM) (Daemon Book 2) by Daniel…

Freedom (TM) (Daemon Book 2) (original 2010; edition 2009)

by Daniel Suarez (Author)

Series: Daemon (2)

The propulsive, shockingly plausible sequel to "New York Times" bestseller "Daemon, Freedom" features a world of rapidly diminishing human power, where what's at stake is nothing less than humanity's survival.
Member:NeoWayland
Title:Freedom (TM) (Daemon Book 2)
Authors:Daniel Suarez (Author)
Info:Dutton (2010), 417 pages

Freedom™ by Daniel Suarez (2010)

English (39)  Italian (1)  All languages (40)
Sequel to Daemon. Seems like the kind of thing Cory Doctorow would love. I thought this was going to be a trilogy, but I guess it’s a dulogy. Hardly matters–I don’t think I’d read the third book anyway.

This one’s more sludgy than the first one (like most sequels are), especially in the middle. Whereas the first one had a clear A to B to C storyline, this one is more like a series of vignettes. It lacks a coherent beginning and ending.

For example, there’s this fifth-generation farmer who starts with a lawsuit with Big Agri over seed DNA patents and becomes a VR wearing, commune-living, self-sufficient man, all thanks to this computer virus that, somehow, one man was able to program well enough to penetrate Chinese, Russian, and American military defense systems autonomously and regardless of upgrades or patching. That was a long sentence.

It reminded me of Peter Watts’s writing or Stephen Baxter’s Flood, which I didn’t care for. Too much milieu, characters that drop from and into oblivion as is convenient to the author, tone dissonance (is it science fiction or meant to be plausible). And here, same case — I didn’t like it. It has the trappings of the first book (see last entry) and the struggles of a sequel trying to finish a storyline. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 1, 2019 |
Great stuff. It's very rare to hear anyone talk about the corporate stranglehold on our food supply. ( )
  sitting_duck | Mar 22, 2018 |
I listened to the audio version. When I finished Daemon, I was somewhat dissatisfied with the conclusion, as reflected in my review. I subsequently learned that Mr. Suarez could not find a publisher for Daemon, so published it himself, and it became an internet sensation. I feel that Freedom was better than Daemon, less repetitive and even more relevant to the financial crisis of 2008 and its aftermath, including the response of the Obama administration. The story moves along quickly toward a satisfying resolution, although the question Sobel posed near the end isn't really one that needs to be answered "yes" or "no." The writing is excellent, although the author seems less comfortable handling romantic situations and conversations than when describing technology or creating action scenes.

The narration is outstanding, and having a woman reading the headlines is a bonus. I felt the length was better matched to the subject matter than in Daemon, which seemed a bit too drawn out. I noticed that, in written form, Freedom was only 50 pages shorter than Daemon, a difference of a bit more than 10%, yet the audible version was more than 4 hours shorter, about 25% less. I didn't investigate why that is; probably the result of a different typesetting in print form. ( )
  MidwestGeek | Dec 29, 2017 |
Lots of fun here for cyberthriller fans. Suarez does a decent job of holding his own in a genre known for names like Gibson and Stephenson, and this sequel to DAEMON proves that Suarez's first outing was no fluke. Yes, there's some over-the-top cinematic silliness that seems to have been written with a screenplay in mind, but the themes and underlying concepts here are just all kinds of fun for anyone with a decent geek streak, and there is no shortage of thought-provoking topics driving the action-packed narrative. A quote that sums up a particular favorite of mine: “Democracy requires active participation, and sooner or later someone ‘offers’ to take all the difficult decision-making away from you and your hectic life. But the darknet throws those decisions back onto you. It hard-codes democracy into the DNA of civilization. You upvote and downvote many times a day on things that directly affect your life and the lives of people around you--not just once every few years on things you haven’t got a chance in hell of affecting.” With solid hits in his first two outings, Suarez is already on my don't miss list. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
I'm really disappointed. Not because Freedom™ is a bad book, just because I didn't think it was better than "not bad". Considering that the prequel, Daemon, was one of my favourite books this year I really wished, hoped, and expected Freedom™ to blow me away.

This sequel incorporates all of my least favourite elements of the first book, and completely leaves out most of the stuff I loved. The first book was a clever, somewhat subtle, "look at how technology can be twisted into doing really mad but ultimately cool things", kind of story that was built up at a pace which really made the climaxes impactful. In Freedom™ technology has already gone completely mad, and just keeps getting madder. And madder. Where the first book managed to balance on a fine line between realism and fantasy, this book not only steps off the line, but runs perpendicularly to it for the duration. It is turned up to 11 throughout, and the attempts at inter-personal moments between the characters drown in the blood of limbs being cut off. There is a lot of great action, sure, but it is so frequent and expected that none of it really becomes exciting.

What this book does do is make a rather solid point about the world we live in, the people who control us, what defines a free society, whether a society can really be free, and so on, and so forth. However, the point is made so frequently, and in so many different ways, that even one of the most interesting perspectives on a global, connected society I have read in a long time starts to become tedious. Nevertheless, the "world view" part of the book is very much there, and it does hold up.

Finally, the ending. Without spoiling anything, it seems apparent that the ending relies on the reader feeling a certain way. I didn't. Not because I necessarily disagreed with what the book wanted me to feel, but because I just didn't care anymore. At the end of the first book I could relate to the universe, to the characters in it, and the situation they found themselves in. The story was told so meticulously that I was forced to have an opinion. After all, the situation seemed plausible. Unlikely, but plausible.
At the end of this second book I feel like I might as well have read a story about the alien mining industry on the planet Jupiter. It has become too distant for me to care. That's a real, real, pity.

I know I'm being a lot harsher than the book deserves, and had I read Freedom™ without first reading Daemon I would probably have accepted Freedom™ as a fun, but somewhat predictable and overdone, tech-inspired read. But I was hoping and wishing for a new Daemon, and I didn't get it. ( )
  clq | Apr 29, 2017 |

Daniel Suarezprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gurner, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day. -- Theodore Roosevelt in 1906
For Generation Y
An elderly man emerged from the crowd an aimed a revolver straight at Anthony Hollis's face.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible