Freedom (TM) by Daniel Suarez

Freedom (TM) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Daniel Suarez

Series: Daemon (2)

690None13,774 (4.11)17
Member:LuckyG
Title:Freedom (TM)
Authors:Daniel Suarez
Info:Signet (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Tags:Kindle

Freedom™ by Daniel Suarez (2010)

English (25)  Italian (1)  All languages (26)
It was okay, the original had more suspense ( )
  hakoreh | Jan 30, 2014 |
Excellent. Fell off a bit from "Daemon", but still a great story with (I believe) some loose ends that may get resolved in "Darknet" coming out in 2011 ( )
  lgwapnitsky | Jan 6, 2014 |
[Yeah, spoilers. Boilerplate, polite version: I promise I don't "spoil" anything about this book that would have bothered me had I known about it in advance of reading this book. That said, I cannot think of anything I have read in my life that would have been spoiled had I known the plot-advancing facts. And this is not, I promise, a brief Cliffs Notes–style detailed summary of the story. Perhaps the only real way to "spoil" a book is to detail any serious flaws in logic, to the extent that you then can't get them out of your head as you read the book. I can't promise that I don't to that -- but neither can anyone else.]

This book is a sequel to Daemon. Unfortunately, it is less of a novel and more of a series of anecdotal extensions from its predecessor, dropped along a plot line depicting one of those characters making an extensive journey. If you haven't read Daemon, there's no sense in reading this. If you have, the primary benefit is how the playing field shifts, and how the Daemon of the original story is revealed to be a much more neutral presence than it previously seemed to be. Not neutral in terms of impact, neutral in terms of good/bad and right/wrong.
  Disquiet | Mar 30, 2013 |
After completed the second book in the Daemon series, I really hope there will be a third. This is a complete nerdfest; much like the first. It mixed elements of MMORPG’s in with the standard Thriller genre to make an exciting and action packed Techno-Thriller. Once again the Daemon has still got control of the world; but is this a good thing or a bad thing. Taking away the power of the few and giving it to the masses; will this lead to civil unrest or total war. All the holes in the first book seem to make sense now that I’ve read Freedom TM, I think it was a stronger book than the first; but they go hand in hand. ( )
  knowledgelost | Mar 29, 2013 |
I'd thought the first book was dark, but wow, Freedom (TM) takes it even further. Anyway, high marks on the story, but downgraded to 3 stars because I can't say it was the satisfactory conclusion I expected. I mentioned in the review of Daemon that in the second half of the book everything seemed to wind down, and I had hoped Freedom (TM) would rekindle it again.

It didn't play out that way, unfortunately. Mainly, it was because I felt many of the characters we met in the first book were relegated to the background in Freedom (TM). for example, characters like Ross disappear for long stretches at a time while new ones I didn't really care for were introduced. Natalie Philips, pretty much the only female character in these books, also felt completely useless and wasted. Even the presence of Matthew Sobol appears to have diminished, and it was the all powerfulness of his Daemon in the first book that made it such a thrilling read in the first place.

What this sacrifice bought, however, was a more in depth look at the Darknet and in the lives of people living in these semi-cyber reality societies that we only got a glimpse of in the first book. The concept is kinda cool, actually -- sort of like living in an online game come to life.

Speaking of which, the science and technology has also been dialed up big time. Despite the sci-fi nature of these two books, I find it very interesting how half of the reviews I've read talk about the plausibility of such a scenario, while the other half find it too farfetched and unrealistic. Admittedly, I fall into the latter group, but then again I'm no software designer or network systems expert. I suppose it all comes down to the reader, and his or her interests and knowledge in the novel's topics.

If there's one big gripe I have about this book, it's that at times it could get very "preachy". I find this often happens with books involving groups of people trying to reconstruct civilization and build their own utopian societies. The author invests so much into describing the mission and trying to convince the reader, when really, I'm more interested in these ideas being shown rather than pounded in my face. In my opinion the time could also have been better spent, say, maybe developing the characters involving them more in the plot?

In any case, these two books constituted a very unique techno thriller, well worth the read. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 8, 2013 |
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day. -- Theodore Roosevelt in 1906
For Generation Y
An elderly man emerged from the crowd an aimed a revolver straight at Anthony Hollis's face.

The propulsive, shockingly plausible sequel to "New York Times" bestseller "Daemon, Freedom" features a world of rapidly diminishing human power, where what's at stake is nothing less than humanity's survival.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible