Freedom (TM) by Daniel Suarez

Freedom (TM) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Daniel Suarez

Series: Daemon (2)

Title:Freedom (TM)
Authors:Daniel Suarez
Info:Signet (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages

Freedom™ by Daniel Suarez (2010)

Recently added byprivate library, fxmarc, super_christie, okdork, Ingo.Lembcke, darushawehm, KoraxDC

English (33)  Italian (1)  All languages (34)
Started yesterday, June 24th,2013 just after finishing the first book in the series of two: [b:Daemon|4699575|Daemon (Daemon, #1)|Daniel Suarez|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347478594s/4699575.jpg|4763873].
Do yourself a favour, buy both together.
This book reminds me of John Brunner: [b:The Shockwave Rider|41070|The Shockwave Rider|John Brunner|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348645148s/41070.jpg|868164] (among others from him).
Bruner writes more fragmented, like someone flipping through channels of a TV, with Newsclips splattered in between and the storyline is not complete, the reader has to piece the given parts together and figure out missing parts. This makes hard reading for some, if you do not like that style. In Robocob, Starship Troopers and Total Recall (the original) Paul Verhoeven has used nearly the same technique for bringing a story to live.

Suarez writes more straight.
The two books are a harsh view of a near future that might-be, with a strong sense of morality and critique of giving corporations too much power (among other mistakes). In this way they serve as a warning.
Being near the end I view it as an optimistic, good ending, but reached with a brutally high body count, torture, sometimes sanctioned from the government / white house.
Must-read and although I took my time, both books are page-turners and may lead to reading them in a long nigh (or short :-). Highly recommended, therefore 5 stars.

The next book [b:Kill Decision|13542606|Kill Decision|Daniel Suarez|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1332376530s/13542606.jpg|19106895] is already on my to-read list, but I will wait till the price drops and also because reading 3 books in a row from the same author is not my style. Check out the talk about automated Drones from Suarez (Youtube, TED or Vimo?).

If you like the gaming part of this, I suggest reading the (arguably lighter) [b:Ready Player One|9969571|Ready Player One|Ernest Cline|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1333576871s/9969571.jpg|14863741].
And of course, the already mentioned Brunner, Shockwave Rider (Good Ending), [b:Stand on Zanzibar|41069|Stand on Zanzibar|John Brunner|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1360613921s/41069.jpg|2184253] (Open Ending), [b:The Sheep Look Up|41074|The Sheep Look Up|John Brunner|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327999238s/41074.jpg|900514] (dark ending, high body count). All 3 could be considered a trilogy, although they have no people or story-parts overlapping. A fourth book [b:The Jagged Orbit|470186|The Jagged Orbit|John Brunner|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1175028806s/470186.jpg|2202667] goes in the same direction but I have not finished it yet. The books by Brunner were sometimes out of print, I do not know now, if printed editions are available as new or used for a reasonable price, but the ebooks are mostly cheap.

Other books from Brunner differ greatly in style and story and from those I read I did not like all, some just felt to be written to cover a certain theme, like time-travel. These 3 I finished and mentioned I consider among his best, Jagged Orbit probably also very good. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
better than the first one! ( )
  adamwolf | Jul 19, 2015 |
So first, my disappointments: Suarez is much better at writing straight-up techno-thrillers than he is alternative societies and political conundrums. Freedom (tm) begins where Daemon left off, and as a result falls into the societies that build up in a post-Daemon world. Suarez largely falls on the side of 'tell, don't show' with regard to these societies, and the story suffers for it - characters engage in dialogue that feels rather unsatisfying. They get lost in narrating their own exposition and lose their own voices, all using the same vocabulary instead of explaining concepts in what would be a more natural way for themselves.

There's still plenty of techno-gadgets, and there's still plenty of action - although I found it to be jarring and gratuitous. (Here's these new pockets of society. Back to the motorbikes with lasers and swords! Slice slice slice!) If you're not familiar with general concepts in online communities (voting patterns, reputation scores, and the like), you may not have as much appreciation for the details in the post-Daemon world.

Still, it's a logical and thought provoking continuation of where Daemon left off. The story is advanced by Freedom (tm), and it's overall a satisfying read. ( )
  Neurokeen | Jun 25, 2015 |

flag comment · see review ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 19, 2015 |
The continuation of the story started in "Daemon," I didn't find this one to be quite as exciting. Maybe I was spoiled by the first book and had unfair expectations going into the sequel. However, "Freedom" was still a good book in its own way. The after effects of the massive cyber attack were quite believable. I certainly hope we never find out how accurate Mr. Suarez was in his futuristic vision. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 5, 2015 |
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day. -- Theodore Roosevelt in 1906
For Generation Y
An elderly man emerged from the crowd an aimed a revolver straight at Anthony Hollis's face.

The propulsive, shockingly plausible sequel to "New York Times" bestseller "Daemon, Freedom" features a world of rapidly diminishing human power, where what's at stake is nothing less than humanity's survival.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible