Freedom (TM) by Daniel Suarez

Freedom (TM) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Daniel Suarez

Series: Daemon (2)

Member:LuckyG
Title:Freedom (TM)
Authors:Daniel Suarez
Info:Signet (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Tags:Kindle

Freedom™ by Daniel Suarez (2010)

English (35)  Italian (1)  All (36)
Lots of fun here for cyberthriller fans. Suarez does a decent job of holding his own in a genre known for names like Gibson and Stephenson, and this sequel to DAEMON proves that Suarez's first outing was no fluke. Yes, there's some over-the-top cinematic silliness that seems to have been written with a screenplay in mind, but the themes and underlying concepts here are just all kinds of fun for anyone with a decent geek streak, and there is no shortage of thought-provoking topics driving the action-packed narrative. A quote that sums up a particular favorite of mine: “Democracy requires active participation, and sooner or later someone ‘offers’ to take all the difficult decision-making away from you and your hectic life. But the darknet throws those decisions back onto you. It hard-codes democracy into the DNA of civilization. You upvote and downvote many times a day on things that directly affect your life and the lives of people around you--not just once every few years on things you haven’t got a chance in hell of affecting.” With solid hits in his first two outings, Suarez is already on my don't miss list. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
I'm really disappointed. Not because Freedom™ is a bad book, just because I didn't think it was better than "not bad". Considering that the prequel, Daemon, was one of my favourite books this year I really wished, hoped, and expected Freedom™ to blow me away.

This sequel incorporates all of my least favourite elements of the first book, and completely leaves out most of the stuff I loved. The first book was a clever, somewhat subtle, "look at how technology can be twisted into doing really mad but ultimately cool things", kind of story that was built up at a pace which really made the climaxes impactful. In Freedom™ technology has already gone completely mad, and just keeps getting madder. And madder. Where the first book managed to balance on a fine line between realism and fantasy, this book not only steps off the line, but runs perpendicularly to it for the duration. It is turned up to 11 throughout, and the attempts at inter-personal moments between the characters drown in the blood of limbs being cut off. There is a lot of great action, sure, but it is so frequent and expected that none of it really becomes exciting.

What this book does do is make a rather solid point about the world we live in, the people who control us, what defines a free society, whether a society can really be free, and so on, and so forth. However, the point is made so frequently, and in so many different ways, that even one of the most interesting perspectives on a global, connected society I have read in a long time starts to become tedious. Nevertheless, the "world view" part of the book is very much there, and it does hold up.

Finally, the ending. Without spoiling anything, it seems apparent that the ending relies on the reader feeling a certain way. I didn't. Not because I necessarily disagreed with what the book wanted me to feel, but because I just didn't care anymore. At the end of the first book I could relate to the universe, to the characters in it, and the situation they found themselves in. The story was told so meticulously that I was forced to have an opinion. After all, the situation seemed plausible. Unlikely, but plausible.
At the end of this second book I feel like I might as well have read a story about the alien mining industry on the planet Jupiter. It has become too distant for me to care. That's a real, real, pity.

I know I'm being a lot harsher than the book deserves, and had I read Freedom™ without first reading Daemon I would probably have accepted Freedom™ as a fun, but somewhat predictable and overdone, tech-inspired read. But I was hoping and wishing for a new Daemon, and I didn't get it. ( )
  clq | Apr 29, 2017 |
A sequel that surpasses the original in quality, although it doesn't stand alone well - unless you've read Daemon, you won't follow the story well. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
This was almost a 180 shift from the previous book. Everyone good was now bad and the Daemon and it's minions were now the good guys.   And the first 3rd of the book was more of a soapbox preaching about economic philosophies. It wasn't really interesting.   Then things got interesting, but it was more like a computer game. And Suarez seems to postulate that if only real life were more like a videogame then everything would be ok. The problem is that the system he puts in place could, and would, be abused, hacked and manipulated just like anything in life.   But the points he makes about our current socio-economic way of life simply doesn't ring with me, as I believe the path we are on is one that is a necessity for the End to come.   Really too bad that Daemon wasn't more of a standalone, because this really drags it down. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Started yesterday, June 24th,2013 just after finishing the first book in the series of two: [b:Daemon|4699575|Daemon (Daemon, #1)|Daniel Suarez|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347478594s/4699575.jpg|4763873].
Do yourself a favour, buy both together.
This book reminds me of John Brunner: [b:The Shockwave Rider|41070|The Shockwave Rider|John Brunner|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348645148s/41070.jpg|868164] (among others from him).
Bruner writes more fragmented, like someone flipping through channels of a TV, with Newsclips splattered in between and the storyline is not complete, the reader has to piece the given parts together and figure out missing parts. This makes hard reading for some, if you do not like that style. In Robocob, Starship Troopers and Total Recall (the original) Paul Verhoeven has used nearly the same technique for bringing a story to live.

Suarez writes more straight.
The two books are a harsh view of a near future that might-be, with a strong sense of morality and critique of giving corporations too much power (among other mistakes). In this way they serve as a warning.
Being near the end I view it as an optimistic, good ending, but reached with a brutally high body count, torture, sometimes sanctioned from the government / white house.
Must-read and although I took my time, both books are page-turners and may lead to reading them in a long nigh (or short :-). Highly recommended, therefore 5 stars.

The next book [b:Kill Decision|13542606|Kill Decision|Daniel Suarez|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1332376530s/13542606.jpg|19106895] is already on my to-read list, but I will wait till the price drops and also because reading 3 books in a row from the same author is not my style. Check out the talk about automated Drones from Suarez (Youtube, TED or Vimo?).

If you like the gaming part of this, I suggest reading the (arguably lighter) [b:Ready Player One|9969571|Ready Player One|Ernest Cline|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1333576871s/9969571.jpg|14863741].
And of course, the already mentioned Brunner, Shockwave Rider (Good Ending), [b:Stand on Zanzibar|41069|Stand on Zanzibar|John Brunner|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1360613921s/41069.jpg|2184253] (Open Ending), [b:The Sheep Look Up|41074|The Sheep Look Up|John Brunner|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327999238s/41074.jpg|900514] (dark ending, high body count). All 3 could be considered a trilogy, although they have no people or story-parts overlapping. A fourth book [b:The Jagged Orbit|470186|The Jagged Orbit|John Brunner|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1175028806s/470186.jpg|2202667] goes in the same direction but I have not finished it yet. The books by Brunner were sometimes out of print, I do not know now, if printed editions are available as new or used for a reasonable price, but the ebooks are mostly cheap.

Other books from Brunner differ greatly in style and story and from those I read I did not like all, some just felt to be written to cover a certain theme, like time-travel. These 3 I finished and mentioned I consider among his best, Jagged Orbit probably also very good. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day. -- Theodore Roosevelt in 1906
For Generation Y
An elderly man emerged from the crowd an aimed a revolver straight at Anthony Hollis's face.

The propulsive, shockingly plausible sequel to "New York Times" bestseller "Daemon, Freedom" features a world of rapidly diminishing human power, where what's at stake is nothing less than humanity's survival.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,161,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible