The Privileges: A Novel by Jonathan Dee

The Privileges: A Novel

by Jonathan Dee

Hmm. Not sure what to think. I liked Jonas. I liked a lot of the writing. The problem is that I found Adam, Cynthia, and April utterly irritating, and although I can read and enjoy books about unlikable characters, it didn't work for me in this book. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
i read the first part and skimmed the rest. the characters did not interest me. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |
A wedding! The first of a generation; the bride and groom are just twenty- two, young to be married these days. Most of their friends flew in yesterday, and though they are in Pittsburgh, a city of half a million, they affect a good- natured snobbish disorientation, because they come from New York and Chicago but also because it suits their sense of the whole event, the magical disquieting novelty of it, to imagine that they are now in the middle of nowhere. They have all, of course, as children or teenagers, sat through the wedding of some uncle or cousin or in quite a few cases their own mother or father, so they know in that sense what to expect. But this is their first time as actual friends and contemporaries of the betrothed; and the strange, anarchic exuberance they feel is tied to a fear that they are being pulled by surrogates into the world of responsible adulthood, a world whose exit will disappear behind them and for which they feel proudly unready. They are adults pretending to be children pretending to be adults. Last night’s rehearsal dinner ended with the overmatched restaurant manager threatening to call the police. The day to come shapes up as an unstable compound of camp and import. Nine hours before they’re due at the church, many of them are still sleeping, but already the thick old walls of the Pittsburgh Athletic Club seem to hum with a lordly overenthusiasm.

Becoming wealthier and more socially connected throughout their marriage, Adam and Cynthia Morey also find themselves increasingly subject to the temptations of excess and risky behavior while their children struggle with their own privilege-based challenges.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jonathan Dee's book The Privileges was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,716,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible