Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth…

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Beth Hoffman

"Steel Magnolias" meets "The Help" in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom. Laugh-out-loud funny, Hoffman's charming work offers the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others.For years, 12-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt from Savannah, Tootie Caldwell, who whirls CeeCee into her world of female friendship, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart.… (more)
Member:littlebookworm
Title:Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel
Authors:Beth Hoffman
Info:Pamela Dorman Books (2010), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:unread

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (susiesharp)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (susiesharp)
    The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    The Complete Anne of Green Gables [Books 1-8] by L. M. Montgomery (itbgc)
    Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall (Iudita)
    Salting Roses: A Novel by Lorelle Marinello (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: both enjoyable southern fiction with great characters
    Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer (mariah2)
    What Happened to My Sister by Elizabeth Flock (dara85)
    dara85: Both novels take place in south, both girls from dysfunctional families and are rescued to better situations.

English (213)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (215)
I really enjoyed this book. I actually listened to it through Audible and the reader was very good. It was told from the perspective of Cee Cee Honeycutt who is 12 years old. Overall just a good feel good story! ( )
  Weezer41 | Dec 27, 2020 |
  Weezer41 | Dec 27, 2020 |
Delightful is what comes to mind when I think of this book. It tells the story of Cee Cee, who is taken in by her great aunt from Savannah after her mentally unstable mother dies. Cee Cee has never met her great aunt Tootie before, but she soon becomes pleasantly surprised by the warmth that Tootie, her housekeeper, and a myriad of Southern neighbors pour onto her. Cee Cee has a few bumps along the way as she adjusts to her new community - and learns a few things about her past history - but all in all it is delightful to enter the world of this book and see how she turns out in the end. ( )
  debs4jc | Dec 18, 2020 |
Finished the book in about two days. It was fun sharing CeeCee's wide eyes wonderment and discoveries. Beth did a good job at capturing self doubt and internal critic that lives in all of us. If we are lucky we would have women in our life similar to those that came to CeeCee's rescue. ( )
  Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
This book is proof that all of our freshman English teachers were wrong: there actually is such a thing as too many metaphors and similes, and this book reached critical mass on nearly every page. It's entirely probably that the most often used words in this book are "like" and "as if".

It is described here in some marketing material as Steel Magnolias meets The Help. Not even close, although it seems to borrow heavily little details from both of those. (Up to and including the chocolate pie from The Help.)

It is also listed as adult fiction, and I disagree with that as well. This is more of a YA book and written on that level. There were many, many chances to delve into something of substance in this coming-of-age story, but the author chose instead to resort to shallow tropes, homilies, and pancreatitis-inducing amounts of marshmallow fluff. The end result is that this reads like any one of a dozen other forgettable books set in a certain time frame in the south. ( )
  Yaaresse | Jul 21, 2020 |
Saving CeeCee Honeycut ((Beth Hoffman)

Set in the 60's Cecilia (CeeCee) Honeycut just wants to be an ordinary girl. Living in Ohio with her mother and father, she is not sure what normal is. Her mother is mentally unstable, while her traveling salesman father is never home. CeeCee seems to be the mother as she watches over and takes care of her "crazy" mother. Then one day, unexpectedly her mother dies. Soon CeeCee finds herself in another world when her great Aunt Tootie, comes to take her to Georgia, to live with her.

Saving CeeCee Honeycut, was a wonderful (emotional) read. Well written Ms. Hoffman grabs the readers attention and won't let go until the perfect ending. Colorful unforgettable characters, laugh out loud, moments, a perfect coming of age story. I look forward to more work from Beth Hoffman.
added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Feb 26, 2011)

Beth Hoffmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bogdan, IsabelÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Marlane Vaicius, the best friend a girl could ever hope to find, Marlane, you are my Dixie. And: In loving memory of my great-aunt, Mildred Williams Caldwell of Danville, Kentucky, the remarkably generous and wise little woman who ignited the flame that inspired this book.
Momma left her red satin shoes in the middle of the road.
I made a mental note that if I ever needed help from a man I would make him a pie. I wondered if that's why my dad didn't come home much anymore. As far as I knew, Momma never once had baked him a pie.
The truth fell on me like a piano. Though I had no idea what lay ahead, there was one thing I knew for sure: wherever I was going, it had to be better than where I was.
ISBN 1401322476 is for Annie's Ghost

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beth Hoffman's book Saving CeeCee Honeycutt was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,753,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible