Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth…

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Beth Hoffman

Info:Pamela Dorman Books (2010), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:unread

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth Hoffman

Recently added byalmin, rena75, mposey, vacbooks, Lewstheryn
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (susiesharp)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (susiesharp)
    The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    The Complete Anne of Green Gables [Books 1-8] by L. M. Montgomery (itbgc)
    Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall (Iudita)
    Salting Roses: A Novel by Lorelle Marinello (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: both enjoyable southern fiction with great characters
    Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer (mariah2)
    What Happened to My Sister by Elizabeth Flock (dara85)
    dara85: Both novels take place in south, both girls from dysfunctional families and are rescued to better situations.

English (208)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (210)
There's a line in the book that summarizes it well, that there's a difference between eccentric and crazy.

CeeCee's mom crosses that line. She has something wrong with her mentally and she keeps dressing up in old prom dresses and reminiscing about being a beauty queen. CeeCee's dad is hardly ever home.

The first 12 years of CeeCee's life are very sad. Then one day she is sent to live with her great aunt Tootie. For the first time in her life, she's welcomed into a family. There's her aunt and her aunt's cook and they both welcome her with open arms.

Lots of eccentric characters enter the story around this time.

I enjoyed how things gradually got better for her. It was hard to read so much of the sadness at the beginning, but I sure did love the ending.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Review: Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman.

Beth Hoffman’s writing style is what drew me into the story. Her descriptions of a slower kind of life were so enticing and easy to follow. The two main characters had that southern charm and were at the forefront of adulthood and are discovering much about life and family after spending the summer months down in the south with other strong female characters.

In the story the impact of mental illness and the sever destruction that it can cause to families and friends as well as the individual themselves is described as painful but as the story continues the reader can feel the healing nature of love, patience and kindness which uplifted the story. CeeCee Honeycutt’s mother was suffering from mental illness and CeeCee’s life was an embarrassment and filled with moments of sadness when she was faced with outrageous behaviors caring for her mother. CeeCee was only twelve when she took the role of parent as her mother acted as a child living in a fantasy world.

Than tragedy struck when CeeCee’s mother was killed by a car and her feelings were confusing because she doesn’t know whether to be sad or relieved from the burden of caring for her mother. There was a neighbor Mrs. Odell that CeeCee cared for as a substitute mother but now she was moving away with her great aunt Tootie in Savannah.
There were a few racial issues once CeeCee got to Georgia because her extended family was black and she was white.

As she packed for the journey she was sad because she couldn’t take her whole collection of books with her. CeeCee was a dedicated reader and cherish every one of her books.
Once CeeCee’s was settled in her life began to change for the better. She was given the chance to be a child again…. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Nov 12, 2018 |
A VERY fun read. I loved CeeCee and all those sweet Southern women! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
What does your life book say about you?

Wow! I love finding a buried treasure on my shelves. I have had this book forever, so when I saw the audiobook I thought I would give it a try. It took me completely by surprise and also helped me get out of my audiobook slump.

I am not sure what I thought this was about, but it was not what it ended up being (in the best way possible). This deals with mental health, loss, love, and family. This is also dealing with historical issues in the South including race issues.

Overall, I really loved this! I highly recommend this on audio. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jun 10, 2018 |
CeeCee's life starts out pretty rough - an absent father and a mentally ill mother with only the love of a nearby neighbor to bring a little light into her life. When tragedy strikes, CeeCee can only feel abandoned and betrayed. But this novel is filled with women who are ready and willing to love CeeCee and fill up all those empty places that she has lived with for so long. I especially loved this aspect of the novel - all the wonderful and diverse women who each provide something important to CeeCee. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 11, 2018 |
Saving CeeCee Honeycut ((Beth Hoffman)

Set in the 60's Cecilia (CeeCee) Honeycut just wants to be an ordinary girl. Living in Ohio with her mother and father, she is not sure what normal is. Her mother is mentally unstable, while her traveling salesman father is never home. CeeCee seems to be the mother as she watches over and takes care of her "crazy" mother. Then one day, unexpectedly her mother dies. Soon CeeCee finds herself in another world when her great Aunt Tootie, comes to take her to Georgia, to live with her.

Saving CeeCee Honeycut, was a wonderful (emotional) read. Well written Ms. Hoffman grabs the readers attention and won't let go until the perfect ending. Colorful unforgettable characters, laugh out loud, moments, a perfect coming of age story. I look forward to more work from Beth Hoffman.
added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Feb 26, 2011)

This book is dedicated to Marlane Vaicius, the best friend a girl could ever hope to find, Marlane, you are my Dixie. And: In loving memory of my great-aunt, Mildred Williams Caldwell of Danville, Kentucky, the remarkably generous and wise little woman who ignited the flame that inspired this book.
Momma left her red satin shoes in the middle of the road.
I made a mental note that if I ever needed help from a man I would make him a pie. I wondered if that's why my dad didn't come home much anymore. As far as I knew, Momma never once had baked him a pie.
The truth fell on me like a piano. Though I had no idea what lay ahead, there was one thing I knew for sure: wherever I was going, it had to be better than where I was.

Read Beth Hoffman's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

Steel Magnolias meets The Help in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom

Twelve-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt is in trouble. For years, she has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town-a woman trapped in her long-ago moment of glory as the 1951 Vidalia Onion Queen. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt, Tootie Caldwell.

In her vintage Packard convertible, Tootie whisks CeeCee away to Savannah's perfumed world of prosperity and Southern eccentricity, a world that seems to be run entirely by women. From the exotic Miz Thelma Rae Goodpepper, who bathes in her backyard bathtub and uses garden slugs as her secret weapons, to Tootie's all- knowing housekeeper, Oletta Jones, to Violene Hobbs, who entertains a local police officer in her canary-yellow peignoir, the women of Gaston Street keep CeeCee entertained and enthralled for an entire summer.

Laugh-out-loud funny and deeply touching, Beth Hoffman's sparkling debut is, as Kristin Hannah says, "packed full of Southern charm, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart." It is a novel that explores the indomitable strengths of female friendship and gives us the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

"Steel Magnolias" meets "The Help" in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom. Laugh-out-loud funny, Hoffman's charming work offers the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others.For years, 12-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt from Savannah, Tootie Caldwell, who whirls CeeCee into her world of female friendship, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beth Hoffman's book Saving CeeCee Honeycutt was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,535,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible