Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth…

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Beth Hoffman

1,6961974,206 (3.98)89
Member:dara85
Title:Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel
Authors:Beth Hoffman
Info:Penguin Books (2010), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, mental illness, motherless, accident, overachiever, beauty queen, moving, friendship, dysfunctional family, books, school, cook, Nancy Drew, party, fight, Georgia

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Recently added bybenandhil, sstrader, Rena37, lamotamant, stelap, villagegtown, private library, TeacherManagerMom
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (susiesharp)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (susiesharp)
    The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    The Complete Anne of Green Gables [Books 1-8] by L. M. Montgomery (itbgc)
    Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall (Iudita)
    Salting Roses: A Novel by Lorelle Marinello (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: both enjoyable southern fiction with great characters
    Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer (mariah2)
    What Happened to My Sister by Elizabeth Flock (dara85)
    dara85: Both novels take place in south, both girls from dysfunctional families and are rescued to better situations.

English (199)  Piratical (1)  All languages (200)
Really 1.5

It was a sweet story, but the syrupy writing and the stereotypes ruined it for me. Oletta, the mammy figure was the worst for me, but there were lots of caricatures to choose from! ( )
  purpleiris | Aug 8, 2016 |
I loved everything about this book, the characters especially. I experienced every kind of emotion while reading this, but the smiles outweighed the heartaches.

Until I have time to write more, and to avoid spoilers, I'll just say that Ceecee's mother, once loving, sinks into psychosis, and twelve-year-old Ceecee ends out with a distant relative in Savannah. A wide variety of things happen in this book, but none felt forced, just the result of interesting characters.

P.S. The audio by Jenna Lamia was wonderful. ( )
  Connie-D | Aug 3, 2016 |
3.5 Stars
Recommended for: Those seeking a light beach read or lovers of women's southern fiction.

This novel was reminiscent of [b:The Help|4667024|The Help|Kathryn Stockett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1346100365s/4667024.jpg|4717423] and [b:The Secret Life of Bees|37435|The Secret Life of Bees|Sue Monk Kidd|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333819031s/37435.jpg|3275013] but something was missing. In some respects, perhaps it was lacked depth and substance? The beginning chapters held a lot of promise but the second half of the story descended into too much of a "feel good" novel with a few over-the-top scenes seemingly thrown in for dramatic effect. However, I am glad I read it and the book ended up suiting my need for a comforting story. Not all books need to have a deep message in order to make them worthy of reading.

My favorite quote: Don’t go wastin’ all them bright tomorrows you ain’t even seen by hangin’ on to what happened yesterday...... ~ Oletta ( )
  Lisa805 | Jul 23, 2016 |
Lovely Images-wished it was longer. Ending wraps up everything though, like a little more hanging-myself. ( )
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - Beth Hoffman
3.5 stars round up to 4

I avoided this book for a while, thinking I would be reading a sad story about an abused and neglected child. CeeCee Honeycutt was an abused and neglected child, but this is the happily ever after story of how she was saved. CeeCee tells the story herself and it is filled with the humorous, bittersweet observations of an intelligent young person. CeeCee spends her early childhood coping with the debilitating effects of her mother’s mental illness and her father’s complete neglect of his responsibilities. Fortunately, she has an elderly neighbor who injects love and a semblance of stability into her life. Following her mother’s accidental death, CeeCee’s life takes a drastic turn for the better when she is adopted and whisked off to Savannah by her wealthy Aunt Tootie. The story continues with the introduction of many eccentric but loving characters that help CeeCee adjust to her new life.

This was an easy book with mild action, gentle humor and a pleasant setting; a perfect summer read.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Saving CeeCee Honeycut ((Beth Hoffman)

Set in the 60's Cecilia (CeeCee) Honeycut just wants to be an ordinary girl. Living in Ohio with her mother and father, she is not sure what normal is. Her mother is mentally unstable, while her traveling salesman father is never home. CeeCee seems to be the mother as she watches over and takes care of her "crazy" mother. Then one day, unexpectedly her mother dies. Soon CeeCee finds herself in another world when her great Aunt Tootie, comes to take her to Georgia, to live with her.

Saving CeeCee Honeycut, was a wonderful (emotional) read. Well written Ms. Hoffman grabs the readers attention and won't let go until the perfect ending. Colorful unforgettable characters, laugh out loud, moments, a perfect coming of age story. I look forward to more work from Beth Hoffman.
added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Feb 26, 2011)

This book is dedicated to Marlane Vaicius, the best friend a girl could ever hope to find, Marlane, you are my Dixie. And: In loving memory of my great-aunt, Mildred Williams Caldwell of Danville, Kentucky, the remarkably generous and wise little woman who ignited the flame that inspired this book.
Momma left her red satin shoes in the middle of the road.
I made a mental note that if I ever needed help from a man I would make him a pie. I wondered if that's why my dad didn't come home much anymore. As far as I knew, Momma never once had baked him a pie.
The truth fell on me like a piano. Though I had no idea what lay ahead, there was one thing I knew for sure: wherever I was going, it had to be better than where I was.

Read Beth Hoffman's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

Steel Magnolias meets The Help in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom

Twelve-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt is in trouble. For years, she has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town-a woman trapped in her long-ago moment of glory as the 1951 Vidalia Onion Queen. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt, Tootie Caldwell.

In her vintage Packard convertible, Tootie whisks CeeCee away to Savannah's perfumed world of prosperity and Southern eccentricity, a world that seems to be run entirely by women. From the exotic Miz Thelma Rae Goodpepper, who bathes in her backyard bathtub and uses garden slugs as her secret weapons, to Tootie's all- knowing housekeeper, Oletta Jones, to Violene Hobbs, who entertains a local police officer in her canary-yellow peignoir, the women of Gaston Street keep CeeCee entertained and enthralled for an entire summer.

Laugh-out-loud funny and deeply touching, Beth Hoffman's sparkling debut is, as Kristin Hannah says, "packed full of Southern charm, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart." It is a novel that explores the indomitable strengths of female friendship and gives us the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

"Steel Magnolias" meets "The Help" in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom. Laugh-out-loud funny, Hoffman's charming work offers the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others. For years, 12-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt from Savannah, Tootie Caldwell, who whirls CeeCee into her world of female friendship, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,265,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible