Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth…

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Beth Hoffman

Member:dara85
Title:Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel
Authors:Beth Hoffman
Info:Penguin Books (2010), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, mental illness, motherless, accident, overachiever, beauty queen, moving, friendship, dysfunctional family, books, school, cook, Nancy Drew, party, fight, Georgia

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Recently added byprivate library, kylerhea, amosley, nthsJrThemeBond, JudithDCollins
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (susiesharp)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (susiesharp)
    The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    The Complete Anne of Green Gables [Books 1-8] by L. M. Montgomery (itbgc)
    Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall (Iudita)
    Salting Roses: A Novel by Lorelle Marinello (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: both enjoyable southern fiction with great characters
    Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer (mariah2)
    What Happened to My Sister by Elizabeth Flock (dara85)
    dara85: Both novels take place in south, both girls from dysfunctional families and are rescued to better situations.

English (176)  Piratical (1)  All languages (177)
I most recently read “Looking for Me” (2013) by Beth Hoffman and absolutely loved it--(highly recommend)! Therefore, immediately following started her debut novel – “Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt”, e-book. Wow –both are amazing 5 stars plus!

If you love southern novels –and a fan of Susan Rebecca White, Mary Kay Andrews, Kathryn Stockett, and Dorothea Benton Frank – this charming novel is for you!

A native of the south, I adore southern writers, and so excited I recently found Beth – she knows southern women and is one talented storyteller! A mixture of Thelma and Louise, Designing Women, and Steel Magnolias--You will laugh out loud and cry at the same time with this bittersweet story, which draws you in with the smells and picturesque scenes of each setting.

An inspiring and heartwarming 1960’s story of Cee Cee Honeycutt (12 yr old little girl) who lives in a small town of Ohio, with a crazy (mentally ) mom who still thinks she is a southern beauty queen from Georgia, and a father which escapes to his traveling sales job leaving the burden and responsibility of caring for his wife to Cee Cee.

Your heart goes out to Cee Cee, with the burden of her mom --with mixed emotions as she loves her; however is not equipped to offer her the care she needs, with highs of up and downs and constant embarrassment of her mom’s outbursts in town. A smart yet loner girl, who spends her time reading and her only solace is the elderly wise woman (next door neighbor) who is loving and teaches her about the Book of Life. (loved these quotes).

When her mother is killed and her dad no longer wants her, she is shipped off to her great aunt Tootsie (loved her) in Savannah, GA. She is unaware of what is in store for her, and the love she will find with her new family and an array of southern, witty, charming, and independent women. Full of racist, eccentric women and one special one (cook) – Oletta who becomes her best friend.

Would love to see a movie of both books – outstanding! I look forward to following this talented author and her development of rich characters who come alive on the pages, filling you with amusement and life lessons full of wisdom, which you do not soon forget. This book would be an inspiration to any child or teen who cannot see beyond their immediate environment, as well as adults – people are put in our Book of Life for a season or reason. Well done!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
I did not know about this book until my sister highly recommended it. I don't really have anything else to add to all the wonderful reviews, but I'm grateful to have read it. From the first page, I could tell this author was an excellent writer as I was immediately drawn into the scene. ( )
  eliorajoy | Oct 7, 2014 |
Although with hundreds of great reviews, she probably doesn't need another one, I feel compelled to say how grateful I am to have found this author. The writing is wonderful and the characters will stay with me for a long time! I wish her the very best and I look forward to her next book. ( )
  fdrury | Oct 5, 2014 |
Oozing southern charm and a genteel lifestyle , on Gaston Street (of course), in Savannah, this first novel is sure to be a winner. Twelve year old CeeCee has been brought up by a certifiably crazy mother and a father who is most often absent. When mom dies, CeeCee goes to live with a great aunt and experience the other side of life. A story that could be shared with your twelve year old daughter or granddaughter. A light and pleasant read. ( )
  librarian1204 | Aug 21, 2014 |
About 12 year old Cee Cee, her psychotic Mom, and her new life in Savannah with Aunt Tootie, housekeeper Oletta, Mrs. Odell and the many other ladies. I loved the quote "It's how we survive the hurts in life that brings us strength and gives us our beauty." The ending sums it up, "Momma left this world and set herself free, and in doing so, she set me free too."
  Judy.Welker.Frick | Aug 14, 2014 |
Saving CeeCee Honeycut ((Beth Hoffman)

Set in the 60's Cecilia (CeeCee) Honeycut just wants to be an ordinary girl. Living in Ohio with her mother and father, she is not sure what normal is. Her mother is mentally unstable, while her traveling salesman father is never home. CeeCee seems to be the mother as she watches over and takes care of her "crazy" mother. Then one day, unexpectedly her mother dies. Soon CeeCee finds herself in another world when her great Aunt Tootie, comes to take her to Georgia, to live with her.

Saving CeeCee Honeycut, was a wonderful (emotional) read. Well written Ms. Hoffman grabs the readers attention and won't let go until the perfect ending. Colorful unforgettable characters, laugh out loud, moments, a perfect coming of age story. I look forward to more work from Beth Hoffman.
added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Feb 26, 2011)

This book is dedicated to Marlane Vaicius, the best friend a girl could ever hope to find, Marlane, you are my Dixie. And: In loving memory of my great-aunt, Mildred Williams Caldwell of Danville, Kentucky, the remarkably generous and wise little woman who ignited the flame that inspired this book.
Momma left her red satin shoes in the middle of the road.
I made a mental note that if I ever needed help from a man I would make him a pie. I wondered if that's why my dad didn't come home much anymore. As far as I knew, Momma never once had baked him a pie.
The truth fell on me like a piano. Though I had no idea what lay ahead, there was one thing I knew for sure: wherever I was going, it had to be better than where I was.

Read Beth Hoffman's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

Steel Magnolias meets The Help in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom

Twelve-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt is in trouble. For years, she has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town-a woman trapped in her long-ago moment of glory as the 1951 Vidalia Onion Queen. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt, Tootie Caldwell.

In her vintage Packard convertible, Tootie whisks CeeCee away to Savannah's perfumed world of prosperity and Southern eccentricity, a world that seems to be run entirely by women. From the exotic Miz Thelma Rae Goodpepper, who bathes in her backyard bathtub and uses garden slugs as her secret weapons, to Tootie's all- knowing housekeeper, Oletta Jones, to Violene Hobbs, who entertains a local police officer in her canary-yellow peignoir, the women of Gaston Street keep CeeCee entertained and enthralled for an entire summer.

Laugh-out-loud funny and deeply touching, Beth Hoffman's sparkling debut is, as Kristin Hannah says, "packed full of Southern charm, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart." It is a novel that explores the indomitable strengths of female friendship and gives us the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:15 -0400)

"Steel Magnolias" meets "The Help" in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom. Laugh-out-loud funny, Hoffman's charming work offers the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others. For years, 12-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt from Savannah, Tootie Caldwell, who whirls CeeCee into her world of female friendship, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible