Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth…

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Beth Hoffman

Member:dara85
Title:Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel
Authors:Beth Hoffman
Info:Penguin Books (2010), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, mental illness, motherless, accident, overachiever, beauty queen, moving, friendship, dysfunctional family, books, school, cook, Nancy Drew, party, fight, Georgia

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (susiesharp)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (susiesharp)
    The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    The Complete Anne of Green Gables [Books 1-8] by L. M. Montgomery (itbgc)
    Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall (Iudita)
    Salting Roses: A Novel by Lorelle Marinello (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: both enjoyable southern fiction with great characters
    Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer (mariah2)
    What Happened to My Sister by Elizabeth Flock (dara85)
    dara85: Both novels take place in south, both girls from dysfunctional families and are rescued to better situations.

English (175)  Piratical (1)  All languages (176)
I did not know about this book until my sister highly recommended it. I don't really have anything else to add to all the wonderful reviews, but I'm grateful to have read it. From the first page, I could tell this author was an excellent writer as I was immediately drawn into the scene. ( )
  eliorajoy | Oct 7, 2014 |
Although with hundreds of great reviews, she probably doesn't need another one, I feel compelled to say how grateful I am to have found this author. The writing is wonderful and the characters will stay with me for a long time! I wish her the very best and I look forward to her next book. ( )
  fdrury | Oct 5, 2014 |
Oozing southern charm and a genteel lifestyle , on Gaston Street (of course), in Savannah, this first novel is sure to be a winner. Twelve year old CeeCee has been brought up by a certifiably crazy mother and a father who is most often absent. When mom dies, CeeCee goes to live with a great aunt and experience the other side of life. A story that could be shared with your twelve year old daughter or granddaughter. A light and pleasant read. ( )
  librarian1204 | Aug 21, 2014 |
About 12 year old Cee Cee, her psychotic Mom, and her new life in Savannah with Aunt Tootie, housekeeper Oletta, Mrs. Odell and the many other ladies. I loved the quote "It's how we survive the hurts in life that brings us strength and gives us our beauty." The ending sums it up, "Momma left this world and set herself free, and in doing so, she set me free too."
  Judy.Welker.Frick | Aug 14, 2014 |
A heartbreaking yet happy story of a 12 year old girl. Her mentally unbalanced mother died in an accident and her father (who was mostly abesnt) sent her to live with a great aunt in Savannah, Ga. As she adjusts to "Southern" life the story reveals lots of surprises. ( )
  rphalliburton | Jun 24, 2014 |
Saving CeeCee Honeycut ((Beth Hoffman)

Set in the 60's Cecilia (CeeCee) Honeycut just wants to be an ordinary girl. Living in Ohio with her mother and father, she is not sure what normal is. Her mother is mentally unstable, while her traveling salesman father is never home. CeeCee seems to be the mother as she watches over and takes care of her "crazy" mother. Then one day, unexpectedly her mother dies. Soon CeeCee finds herself in another world when her great Aunt Tootie, comes to take her to Georgia, to live with her.

Saving CeeCee Honeycut, was a wonderful (emotional) read. Well written Ms. Hoffman grabs the readers attention and won't let go until the perfect ending. Colorful unforgettable characters, laugh out loud, moments, a perfect coming of age story. I look forward to more work from Beth Hoffman.
added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Feb 26, 2011)

This book is dedicated to Marlane Vaicius, the best friend a girl could ever hope to find, Marlane, you are my Dixie. And: In loving memory of my great-aunt, Mildred Williams Caldwell of Danville, Kentucky, the remarkably generous and wise little woman who ignited the flame that inspired this book.
Momma left her red satin shoes in the middle of the road.
I made a mental note that if I ever needed help from a man I would make him a pie. I wondered if that's why my dad didn't come home much anymore. As far as I knew, Momma never once had baked him a pie.
The truth fell on me like a piano. Though I had no idea what lay ahead, there was one thing I knew for sure: wherever I was going, it had to be better than where I was.

Read Beth Hoffman's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

Steel Magnolias meets The Help in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom

Twelve-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt is in trouble. For years, she has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town-a woman trapped in her long-ago moment of glory as the 1951 Vidalia Onion Queen. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt, Tootie Caldwell.

In her vintage Packard convertible, Tootie whisks CeeCee away to Savannah's perfumed world of prosperity and Southern eccentricity, a world that seems to be run entirely by women. From the exotic Miz Thelma Rae Goodpepper, who bathes in her backyard bathtub and uses garden slugs as her secret weapons, to Tootie's all- knowing housekeeper, Oletta Jones, to Violene Hobbs, who entertains a local police officer in her canary-yellow peignoir, the women of Gaston Street keep CeeCee entertained and enthralled for an entire summer.

Laugh-out-loud funny and deeply touching, Beth Hoffman's sparkling debut is, as Kristin Hannah says, "packed full of Southern charm, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart." It is a novel that explores the indomitable strengths of female friendship and gives us the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:15 -0400)

"Steel Magnolias" meets "The Help" in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom. Laugh-out-loud funny, Hoffman's charming work offers the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others. For years, 12-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt from Savannah, Tootie Caldwell, who whirls CeeCee into her world of female friendship, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,929,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible