Red Ted and the Lost Things by Michael Rosen

Red Ted and the Lost Things (2009)

by Michael Rosen

Other authors: Joel Stewart (Illustrator)

Dogger by Shirley Hughes (babyhomer)
    babyhomer: favourite teddies getting reunited with their children

I loved this title so much that after reading the library copy I bought one for myself. A determined little teddy bear, accidentally left on a train, finds himself in the lost-and-found room. He is befriended by a toy crocodile. Determined to get back to his beloved little girl, Stevie, Red Ted leaps off the shelf, and accompanied by Crocodile, sets out to find her.

After a few adventures, and assisted by a cat who is hoping for a cheese reward, Red Ted is reunited with Stevie. Stevie is able to understand the language of toys and cats, and Crocodile gets a new home with her, and Cat gets cheese.

The drawings are wonderful, and very clear. The cavernous lost-and-found area is rather poignant. The drawings are quite expressive.

I would like to see more works by these two authors. ( )
  juglicerr | Mar 4, 2015 |
This story has been recommended to me by several sources (sorry, I've forgotten what they were). A beloved red teddy, owned by a cheese-loving little girl, has been lost. Unlike the sad and depressed other lost things, Red Ted is determined to find his beloved Stevie again and takes a few friends along with him. Together, they brave dangers and explore the outside world until there is a joyous reunion for Red Ted and Stevie, a new home for Crocodile and cheese for the singing cat.

This graphic novel picture book is presented in panels and dialogue, although most panels are wordless. It's best suited for one-on-one reading, but I'm going to read it in storytime anyways, because I want to sing the cat's little song! The panels are in soft, washed-out colors, while the characters stand out brightly, which I think will make it easier for storytime listeners to follow the action.

Verdict: Recommended. A sweet story with intriguing illustrations

ISBN: 978-0763645373; Published November 2009 by Candlewick; Borrowed from the library; Added to the library's wishlist
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 7, 2012 |
A very simple story about a teddy bear, left behind on a train by his owner, who finds his way home with the help of a stuffed crocodile and a cat.

The text is simple enough for an older 1st grader-2nd grade, and the images - rich colors and dark lines for the characters against a faded, washed out background - may help those unfamiliar with graphic novels to follow the characters through the story. ( )
  kayceel | Jul 12, 2011 |
When a teddy bear is accidentally left on the seat of a train, he uses his ingenuity - and some new friends - to search for the little girl who lost him. ( )
  kidlit9 | Aug 13, 2010 |
I love this picture book! It has all the things I love: stuffed animals (including my personal favorite, a teddy bear!), real animals, train conductors, and cheese. What more could a reader ask for? I will definitely be checking out the other works by one of Britain's Children's Laureates (2007-2009), Michael Rosen. ( )
  rgustafson | Jan 20, 2010 |

Michael Rosenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, JoelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Emile, Elsie, and Emma

M. R.
For the lost and found of Dalston

J. S.
One day a little bear named Red Ted was left on a train.

With bravery, teamwork, and lots of common sense, a forgotten bear finds his way home in this warm, wise, and very funny graphic storybook.

One day, a little bear named Red Ted is accidentally left on the seat of a train. When he winds up on a high shelf in the place for lost things, he doesn’t despair — he puts his mind to work! With the help of new friends and the use of all their senses (including a certain fondness for cheese), Ted and pals are determined to find their way back to the little girl who loves and misses him. Author Michael Rosen and illustrator Joel Stewart offer a sweet graphic storybook about pluck, persistence, and the pure comfort of home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

When a teddy bear is accidentally left on the seat of a train, he uses his ingenuity--and some new friends--to search for the little girl who lost him.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763645370, 0763646245

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible