Tell-tale by Sam Hayes

Authors:Sam Hayes
Info:Headline Book Publishing (2010), Paperback
Collections:Book Group, Read but unowned

Tell Tale by Sam Hayes

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
A woman stands on a bridge, the water rushing below, the wind catching her skirt. In a few seconds she will jump, plunging more than 200 feet to the bottom. Who is she? And why is she desperate to take her own life? Nina Kennedy is afraid. A man is following her, threatening her family, toying with her sanity. What does he want? And how long will it be before he strikes? Eight-year-old Ava sits waiting for her daddy. But, like the others in the children's home, she knows her father will never come. The home is a place of whispers and shadows. But no one dare tell the truth. Until now...

My Thoughts:

I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed this book. Normally books that have children on the cover with big bambi eyes I do avoid. This book however is for book group so I did give it ago and was as I say quite surprised.

The story is really good and kept me wanting to find out what was going to happen next. Each chapter ended with not a cliffhanger as such but the need to read to see how it was going to end.

The story line was raw with abuse in a childrens home, this is why I normally avoid books with children on the covers. The story was also a good thriller with plenty of twists and turns.

This next paragraph will contain spoilers.

What I thought was clever was how the author lead me to believe that I was reading three individual characters stories and it turned out that it actually was one person all along. I also didn’t like the ending in the fact that Nina’s husband was the one she was running and hiding from all along. It wouldn’t have made any difference if the hooded figure was never found out.

Overall a really good read although the subject matter was a bit unsettling and I would seek out more book by this author. ( )
  tina1969 | Dec 16, 2012 |
From Back Cover

WHAT DO YOU DO....

A woman stands on a bridge, the river rushing below.. In seconds she will jump, plunging over two hundred feet to the bottom. Who is she? And why is she desperate to take her own life?

WHEN THERE'S NO WAY OUT....

Nina Kennedy, a wife and mother, is afraid. A man is following her, toying with her sanity, watching her beloved family. What does he want? And how long will it be before he strikes?

AND NOWHERE LEFT TO HIDE?

Eight year old Ava is waiting for her daddy. But, like the others in the children's home, she knows her father will never come. The home is a place of whispers and shadows, where no one dare speak the truth. Until now....

Three desperate strangers. One shocking secret. Who will live to tell the chilling tale?

My review

OMG this was a jaw dropping can't believe it race to the end adult fiction thriller. Go and buy this one now.

I highly recommend this one. I will definitely read her other books now, so a new author for me, yaay. I only read approx 1 book a week and most are approx 350 pages, well this was a chunkster at 501 pages and I still finished it in a week, it was that good. I stayed up until 2am last night finishing, I just had to know the outcome.

Three stories that has the best ending I have ever read, I didn't see it coming. Sam Hayes did a remarkable job on keeping you glued to the stories wanting to know is there a connection and what could it be. I love Nina's story it was captivating with so much suspense. Ava's story was scary and heartbreaking, my heart raced when hers raced and I wanted to run with her, the detail had you right there.

I can't talk about the book because any detail will be a possible spoiler. I will say this is a story about pedophiles in case that is a topic you choose not to read about. ( )
  marcejewels | Jun 1, 2010 |
It’s very difficult to discuss the plot of this book, without giving too much away – something I hate seeing in a review. The only thing to say is that it takes the three strands mentioned above, and blends them together, gradually bringing all the connections together.

If you’ve read Sam’s previous books, Blood Ties and Unspoken, you’ll have an idea of what to expect, both in style, and pace. Everything that I’ve enjoyed with those previous books carries on in this one, there was no disappointment.

Sam’s books are all thrillers – they are fast paced, and very difficult to put down. However, they don’t rely on being plot driven books – the characters within are always interesting and believable. As well as wanting to know where the story in general is going, I also find myself wanting to know what’s going to happen to the characters too.

If you have already enjoyed Sam’s previous books, I would strongly advise this one. If you haven’t, and you enjoy emotional thrillers, I would strongly advise that you give one a try!
  michelle_bcf | Dec 3, 2009 |
This is a terrific story, told in three different voices, set in three different times and about a terrible evil. Nina Kennedy is a devoted wife and mother with an exciting career as a makeup artist. Things are going perfectly for Nina, her business growing, her family and friends solidly behind her. But there is a terrible secret in Nina's past, one which has reappeared in her life. Someone is following her, threatening her secure existence.

Nina's story overlaps with that of Frankie Gerrard, working in a fine private school built on the remains of an old orphanage. That takes us to Ava, eight years old and waiting in the orphanage for her father to return and take her home.

The thread of evil that connects Ava, Frankie and Nina is the plot of Tell Tale , and, with a twist at the end that comes as a shock, it's a story that will keep you guessing.
added by VivienneR | editThe Globe and Mail, Margaret Cannon (Jan 15, 2010)

'Tell Tale' is the story of three strangers bound together by a shocking secret. Who will live to tell the chilling tale?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible