Tell-tale by Sam Hayes

Authors:Sam Hayes
Info:Headline Book Publishing (2010), Paperback
Collections:Book Group, Read but unowned

Tell Tale by Sam Hayes

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
This was a great crime thriller with an unexpected twist at the end. It is told by three female voices - Nina, Frankie and Ava - and is set in different times, but all of them are linked to the one horrifying event. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
A woman stands on a bridge, the water rushing below, the wind catching her skirt. In a few seconds she will jump, plunging more than 200 feet to the bottom. Who is she? And why is she desperate to take her own life? Nina Kennedy is afraid. A man is following her, threatening her family, toying with her sanity. What does he want? And how long will it be before he strikes? Eight-year-old Ava sits waiting for her daddy. But, like the others in the children's home, she knows her father will never come. The home is a place of whispers and shadows. But no one dare tell the truth. Until now...

My Thoughts:

I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed this book. Normally books that have children on the cover with big bambi eyes I do avoid. This book however is for book group so I did give it ago and was as I say quite surprised.

The story is really good and kept me wanting to find out what was going to happen next. Each chapter ended with not a cliffhanger as such but the need to read to see how it was going to end.

The story line was raw with abuse in a childrens home, this is why I normally avoid books with children on the covers. The story was also a good thriller with plenty of twists and turns.

This next paragraph will contain spoilers.

What I thought was clever was how the author lead me to believe that I was reading three individual characters stories and it turned out that it actually was one person all along. I also didn’t like the ending in the fact that Nina’s husband was the one she was running and hiding from all along. It wouldn’t have made any difference if the hooded figure was never found out.

Overall a really good read although the subject matter was a bit unsettling and I would seek out more book by this author. ( )
  tina1969 | Dec 16, 2012 |
This is a terrific story, told in three different voices, set in three different times and about a terrible evil. Nina Kennedy is a devoted wife and mother with an exciting career as a makeup artist. Things are going perfectly for Nina, her business growing, her family and friends solidly behind her. But there is a terrible secret in Nina's past, one which has reappeared in her life. Someone is following her, threatening her secure existence.

Nina's story overlaps with that of Frankie Gerrard, working in a fine private school built on the remains of an old orphanage. That takes us to Ava, eight years old and waiting in the orphanage for her father to return and take her home.

The thread of evil that connects Ava, Frankie and Nina is the plot of Tell Tale , and, with a twist at the end that comes as a shock, it's a story that will keep you guessing.
added by VivienneR | editThe Globe and Mail, Margaret Cannon (Jan 15, 2010)

'Tell Tale' is the story of three strangers bound together by a shocking secret. Who will live to tell the chilling tale?

5 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,199,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible