The Extraordinary Adventures of Arsene…

The Extraordinary Adventures of Arsene Lupin, Gentleman-Burglar (original 1907; edition 2012)

by Maurice LeBlanc

Member:literarysarah
Title:The Extraordinary Adventures of Arsene Lupin, Gentleman-Burglar
Authors:Maurice LeBlanc
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 140 pages
Collections:Ebooks, Your library
Rating:**1/2
Tags:france

Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar by Maurice Leblanc (1907)

English (9)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
This was published in the late 19th Century introducing Arsène Lupin who is more or less the French answer to Sherlock Holmes, whom he meets in the final chapter of this book. Lupin is a thief but a very refined one. I can't help but be reminded of Cary Grant in Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief. Grant, of course is the epitome of a gentleman and Arsène Lupin is no different. He charms everyone he meets, most of whom do not know he is a thief and that he will likely steal their jewels/furniture/paintings/etc. in the night. His thefts leave the police baffled, for he leaves no trace. Therefore, it can be assumed that if a theft has no evidence, that theft was likely committed by Lupin. He has one real adversary, Detective Ganimard, who arrests Lupin in the first chapter and later becomes quite good friends with him.

As stated, in the final chapter, Lupin meets Sherlock Holmes, who naturally recognizes an intellect on par with his own. Holmes does not apprehend the thief (for Holmes is indeed too late, as the title of the chapter states), but he suspects their paths will cross again. I understand that is exactly what happens in the sequel but never again afterward due to copyright issues.

The book is very episodic with just a thread of plot that carries through each chapter. The reason for this is that each chapter was originally published as a short story in the French magazine Je Sais Tout. I listened to an audiobook through Librivox which had a different reader for each chapter. I had to smile at the variations in pronunciations of French words and names (not that I'd do any better). I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will most likely be looking for others in the series. He is a character that one cannot help but love, for who doesn't like a story about a sophisticated criminal? ( )
1 vote Jessiqa | Dec 5, 2012 |
A highly entertaining introduction to Arsene Lupin. My only complaint with this particular translated edition is that it does not appear to have been edited... there are some embarrassing typos and other errors throughout the text. Still, quite a fun read. ( )
  jeb1981 | Aug 6, 2011 |
This one was lots of fun. It makes an interesting comparison with Raffles. This one was more fun to me as I found Lupin a more likable character than Raffles. Not always believable, but still great fun. My favorite story was "The Queen's Necklace." I liked the introduction of Sherlock Holmes. Looking forward to reading more. ( )
  cmbohn | Dec 18, 2010 |
This is a wonderful series that is recommended particularly for lovers of the gentleman thief or the Trickster. French thief, Arsene Lupin moves from caper to caper making fools of the wealthy, police officers, and in a few stories Sherlock Holmes. :D (Surprised that Doyle's brother-in-law, E.W. Horunng didn't think of this when creating his gentleman thief, A.J. Raffles). The stories do contain unlikely scenarios (such as when Lupin escapes from prison through an unbelievable disguise) but he pulls them off with such charm, wit that the reader is willing to follow him. Among my favorite stories are:
The Queen's Necklace- a story of Lupin's first robbery which gives an interesting background story to the gentleman thief.
The Wedding Ring-A moving story which shows the thief's chivalrous side as he aids an unhappily married former love.
Sherlock Holmes Arrives Too Late-the historic first meeting between the two titans of detective mystery fiction ( )
1 vote jusaport | Nov 13, 2010 |
Spoilers. This was fine. It just isn't compelling. The stories are somewhat mechanical & they fall into place & the cleverness falls into place. This collection ranges over the entire oeuvre, I think. I didn't read the Introduction.
  franoscar | Aug 6, 2010 |

Maurice Leblancprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sims, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teixeira de Mattos, AlexanderTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pierre Lafitte.

My Dear Friend:
You have thrust me upon a route where I never believed that I would venture, and in which I have found so much pleasure and literary allurement that it seems but just to inscribe your name at the head of this volume, and thereby prove to you my sentiments of affectionate and faithful gratitude.
M. L.
The strangest of journeys! And yet it had begun so well! (de Mattos translation)

I. The Arrest of Arsène Lupin

VII. Madame Imbert's Safe

VIII. The Black Pearl

IX. Sherlock Holmes Arrives Too Late

The suave adventures of a gentleman rogue—a French Thomas Crown

Created by Maurice LeBlanc during the early twentieth century, Arsène Lupin is a witty confidence man and burglar, the Sherlock Holmes of crime. The poor and innocent have nothing to fear from him; often they profit from his spontaneous generosity. The rich and powerful, and the detective who tries to spoil his fun, however, must beware. They are the target of Arsène’s mischief and tomfoolery. A masterful thief, his plans frequently evolve into elaborate capers, a precursor to such cinematic creations as Ocean’s Eleven and The Sting. Sparkling with amusing banter, these stories—the best of the Lupin series—are outrageous, melodramatic, and literate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:28 -0400)

This title is a collection of Maurice Leblanc's brilliant series of stories about the suave burglar and confident man Arsene Lupin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,526,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible