Frankenstein: Lost Souls by Dean Koontz

Frankenstein: Lost Souls (edition 2010)

by Dean Koontz (Author), Christopher Lane (Reader)

6181915,860 (3.73)15
Member:bookymouse
Title:Frankenstein: Lost Souls
Authors:Dean Koontz (Author)
Other authors:Christopher Lane (Reader)
Info:Brilliance Audio on CD Unabridged (2010), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read but unowned, 2013
Rating:***
Tags:ACLS, Fiction, Audio, Monsters, Horror, Series, Frankenstein, Mad Scientists, Serial Killers, Dean Koontz's Frankenstein

Lost Souls by Dean Koontz

The war against Victor Frankenstein/Helios' New Race/Community continues...in Montana.

Vivid and lush scenery are depicted throughout this tale allowing immersion into different settings.

Varied and entertaining characters present their own intertwined tales which all potentially will come to a head and maybe even intersect in the upcoming war. This tale is all about discovery and preparation for the upcoming way. Some are characters from previous tales which we have grown to love and continue to develop, while others are new and intriguing.

The narrative is both mysterious and action packed with humor interspersed.

Overall, a fun read! ( )
  catya77 | Nov 16, 2013 |
Unfortunately, both Lost Souls and Dead Town are actually a bit redundant. After the first three excellent books, originally intended to be a trilogy, Koontz decided to write a second trilogy to continue the adventures of Deucalion and his battle against Victor Frankenstein.

Koontz never made it that far. Both the fourth and fifth book aren't bad. Actually, they are still enjoyable but the story has lost it's pacing and thrill. A new threat is introduced with the clone of Victor, who continued his plan to wipe out humanity with some minor variations, only to be stopped (again) by Deucalion and the two (now former) homicide detectives Carson and Michael.

Even Koontz himself must've realised that he was copying a great story but that it was the same story he'd already written. The planned sixth book never got written and the series wraps up with Dead Town.

Like i said, it's not that it's a bad story. There's still enough to enjoy but it's not enough to recommend both this book and it's sequel. Read the first three books and then stop. There are lot of better books out there. A lot of those are even written by Koontz, it's just that Lost Souls and Dead Town aren't among those. ( )
  Randomcybrarian | Sep 21, 2013 |
SUMMARY: #1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz brings his fertile imagination and unparalleled storytelling abilities to one of the most timeless—and terrifying—creations in all of fiction: the legend of Frankenstein. In Lost Souls, Koontz puts a singular twist on this classic tale of ambition and science gone wrong and forges a new legend uniquely suited to our times—a story of revenge, redemption, and the razor-thin line that separates humanity from inhumanity as we consider a new invitation to apocalypse. The work of creation has begun again. Only now things will be different. Victor Leben, once Frankenstein, has not only seen the future—heĂ‚Â’s ready to populate it. Using stem cells, “organic” silicon circuitry, and nanotechnology, he will engender a race of superhumans—the perfect melding of flesh and machine. With a powerful, enigmatic backer eager to see his dream come to fruition and a secret location where the enemies of progress canĂ‚Â’t find him, Victor is certain that this time, nothing and no one can stop him.It is up to five people to prove him wrong. In their hands rests nothing less than the survival of humanity itself. They are drawn together in different ways, by omens sinister and wondrous, to the same shattering conclusion: Two years after they saw him die, the man they knew as Victor Helios lives on. Detectives Carson OĂ‚Â’Connor and Michael Maddison; VictorĂ‚Â’s engineered wife, Erika 5, and her companion Jocko; and the original VictorĂ‚Â’s first creation, the tormented Deucalion, have all arrived at a small Montana town where their old alliance will be renewed—and tested—by forces from within and without, and where the dangers they face will eclipse any they have yet encountered. Yet in the midst of their peril, love will blossom, and joy, and they will discover sources of strength and perseverance they could not have imagined. They will need all these resources, and more. For a monumental battle is about to commence that will require all their ingenuity and courage, as it defines what we are to be . . . and if we are to be at all.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Amazon.com Review Dean Koontz on Frankenstein: Lost Souls When it comes to predicting the future, I am Nostradamus's idiot great nephew. In the 1980s, I believed that by 2010, we would all be traveling regularly to no-sales-tax shopping malls on the moon and zipping over to Mars for a Frappuccino. I thought we would be enjoying genetically engineered house pets like cadogs (half cat, half dog, all affection), miniature eaglebbits (flying rabbits), dry chihuahuas (little dogs that never need to pee), crocodobers (highly effective home guard dogs), and spongerbils (sponge gerbils that not only can be cuddled but will mop your floors and wring one another out in a bucket of water). I also predicted that by now we would be flying everywhere with personal jet packs, and carrying clever autofloss machines to strip the bugs out of our teeth in thirty seconds flat after landing. Back in 1980, I predicted that by now John Belushi would be president, but I don't count this one a complete miss, because Al Franken is a United States Senator, which I admit surprises me considering that Mr. Franken isn't nearly funny enough to hold high office. When I finished the third Frankenstein novel, My original trilogy brought to an end a story cycle, but the themes of Shelley's novel are more timely by the month. I realized that I could do much more with the concept than I had done thus far. Furthermore, an entirely new kind of technology of creature-creation occurred to me, and it was a lot more terrifying than the messy-gooey, strictly biological New Race that Victor developed in the first trilogy. By moving the setting from New Orleans to Rainbow Falls, Montana, I was able, as well, to change the atmosphere and to have fun with Armageddon occurring in snow-and-cowboy country. As always, if readers hadn't been so enthusiastic about these books, I wouldn't have been able to proceed with the series. I appreciate your support more than I can say. I've received a lot of mail from readers who said they didn't read these novels for the longest time because the whole Frankenstein thing turned them off, but when they finally tried them, they discovered these weren't at all like what they expected, and they loved them. I always try not to give you the same old same old. Lost Souls has the flavor of my first three Frankenstein titles, but otherwise it does not clump over familiar territory. This time, Victor is much scarier and smarter than his predecessor, and his war against humanity is a blitzkrieg that comes on like a storm. Lost Souls, like the books after it, is self-contained even though it is a part of a larger narrative. You can plunge into it and, if you like it, then go back to The Dead Town, recounting the next phase of the war against humanity, and I suppose it might sound a little strange to say I'm having a good time chronicling our doom. From Publishers Weekly Set in Rainbow Falls, Mont., Koontz's goofy, grisly fourth riff on the Frankenstein theme (after Dead and Alive) finds Victor--previously presumed dead but apparently as easily resurrected as cinematic incarnations of his monster--perfecting his "New Race" of humanoid replicants. As affectless pod-person lookalikes gradually replace the town's citizens, the task of saving humanity from Victor and his megalomaniacal plans to "destroy the soul of the world" fall once again to husband-and-wife detectives Michael and Carson Maddison; Victor's soulsearching original monster, Deucalion; and a host of local yokels who provide both sympathy and comic relief. That the "good guys" are instantly recognizable by their abundant compassion, generosity, and sense of humor and the "bad guys" by their fussbudget fastidiousness and dedication to efficient extermination of inferior humans helps lay the foundation for the humanitarian homilies that punctuate the narrative.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
After book 3 I kept thinking what exactly is Koontz going to do to these characters next? Well,along with changing locations and adding more scenes with a few new characters, he seems bent on putting the lead "good guy" characters through even more craziness. If you enjoyed the first 3 books then four is the only direction to go next. ( )
  TBones | Jun 14, 2013 |
Lost Souls continues the saga of the seemingly unkillable Victor Frankenstein, now a megalomaniac bent on—what else?—world domination, via wiping humanity off the globe, from a few years after where the trilogy Dean Koontz’s Frankenstein left it. Since the blowup (literally: Katrina was raging) in New Orleans in which Victor and his replicant New Race went down for good, Erika Five, the last and most independent version of Frankenstein’s “wife,” has settled outside a Montana town, happily laying low. Then, shopping in town, she sees what could only be Victor. It is, and it isn’t, as she later figures out. Meanwhile, a new bunch of replicants starts replacing their human prototypes and launches a mass termination of the rest of the populace. Fortunately, Deucalion, as Frankenstein’s original creation is now known, is on to the plot. He brings the detective couple from New Orleans, who are now married, new parents, and PIs in San Francisco, into the action, which races to a climax that doesn’t quite conclude in this book. Obviously enjoying himself, Koontz does his dance of grisly suspense, wry dialogue, sharp characterization, outlandish but charming (and well-integrated) comic relief, and cultural criticism more adroitly than almost ever before.
added by cmwilson101 | editBooklist, Ray Olson

“Koontz does his dance of . . . suspense, wry dialogue, sharp characterization . . . charming (and well-integrated) comic relief, and cultural criticism more adroitly than almost ever before.”
added by cmwilson101 | editBooklist

added by cmwilson101 | editPublishers Weekly

#1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz raises the stakes—and the suspense—taking his Frankenstein saga to a dynamic new level with the riveting story of a small town under siege, where good and evil, destruction and creation, converge as the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

FRANKENSTEIN: LOST SOULS

The war against humanity has begun. In the dead hours of the night, a stranger enters the home of the mayor of Rainbow Falls, Montana. The stranger is in the vanguard of a wave of intruders who will invade other homes . . . offices . . . every local institution, assuming the identities and the lives of those they have been engineered to replace. Before the sun rises, the town will be under full assault, the opening objective in the new Victor Frankenstein’s trajectory of ultimate destruction. Deucalion—Victor’s first, haunted creation—saw his maker die in New Orleans two years earlier. Yet an unshakable intuition tells him that Victor lives—and is at work again. Within hours Deucalion will come together with his old allies, detectives Carson O’Connor and Michael Maddison, Victor’s engineered wife, Erika Five, and her companion Jocko to confront new peril. Others will gather around them. But this time Victor has a mysterious, powerful new backer, and he and his army are more formidable, their means and intentions infinitely more deadly, than ever before.

Two years after they saw him die, the man they knew as Victor Helios lives on. Detectives Carson O'Connor and Michael Maddison; Victor's engineered wife, Erika 5, and her companion Jocko; and the original Victor's first creation, the tormented Deucalion, have all arrived at a small Montana town where their old alliance will be renewed--and tested--by forces from within and without, and where the dangers they face will eclipse any they have yet encountered.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,480,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible