The mapping of love and death : a Maisie…

The mapping of love and death : a Maisie Dobbs novel (edition 2010)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:lejonet
Title:The mapping of love and death : a Maisie Dobbs novel
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:New York : Harper, c2010
Rating:**1/2

The Mapping of Love and Death by Jacqueline Winspear

Pardonable Lies by Jacqueline Winspear (robertgriffen)
    robertgriffen: Pardonable Lies is another in the Maisie Dobb series by Jacqueline Winspear and like all this series is a well crafted and enjoyable book which I found very difficult to put down. Anyone who enjoys a mystery story based around real events immediately following the First World War will find this whole series absolutely fascinating. Try to start with 'Maisies Dobbs and then work yor way through the series. Each book connects with the previous and has a link to the next. The latest the Mapping of Love and Death is an excellent story, the latest in this series. Hopefully there will be more to come.… (more)

I think this was the best one so far, it touched my emotions is ways the previous ones did not. ( )
  crazeedi73 | Jan 30, 2016 |

The first time I picked this book up, I immediately put it down....So much for first impressions!

This was my choice for Historical Mysteries "Buddy Read".

Maisie Dobbs is a single woman, private investigator, and former WWI nurse. In this book, at the behest of the Clifton family, she is investigating the death of their son Michael, an American cartographer, who joined the British in WWI, whose death certificate indicates injuries not congruous with war injuries. The Cliftons have been attacked, their room at a high class hotel has been ransacked, and Maisie has been pushed down & robbed. Later the robber had been found bludgeoned to death. There is a cache of old love letters from an "English Nurse" & a mystery surrounding the land the cartographer bought in the oil fields of CA.

I liked the characters, they seemed real and exuded warmth, intelligence, & a respect for life without being over-written caricatures.

I just might read another in this series. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
There is a great deal of unmapped country within us which would have to be taken into account in an explanation of our gusts and storms.
-- George Eliot, 'Daniel Deronda'
War is like love; it always finds a way. -- Bertolt Brecht
For John
"The Bluesman"
With my love
"Would you believe it, Billy - three years and we're still in business!"

Set in 1932, bestseller Winspear's endearing seventh Maisie Dobbs novel (after 2009's Among the Mad) centers on Michael Clifton, a young American cartographer during the Great War, whose remains turn up in a French field. Evidence suggests to Maisie that Michael, rather than dying in a shell blast, was murdered. Michael's parents arrive in London with letters from an unnamed English nurse that raise disturbing questions about the nurse's relationship with their son. The plucky inquiry agent embarks on a search for this woman, following a trail that leads to Chatham, home of the School of Military Engineering, which Michael attended. There she learns about the vital role that cartography played in the war.

London investigator Maisie Dobbs must unravel a case of wartime love and death--an investigation that leads her to a doomed affair between a young cartographer, listed as missing in action when World War I ends, and a mysterious nurse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,150,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible