The Structure of Scientific Revolutions:…

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions: 50th Anniversary Edition (original 1962; edition 2012)

by Thomas S. Kuhn (Author), Ian Hacking (Introduction)

Member:andrea1303
Title:The Structure of Scientific Revolutions: 50th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Thomas S. Kuhn (Author)
Other authors:Ian Hacking (Introduction)
Info:University Of Chicago Press (2012), Edition: 4, 264 pages
Collections:Part A students recommendations
Tags:science

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas S. Kuhn (1962)

Human Understanding: The Collective Use and Evolution of Concepts by Stephen Toulmin (thcson)
    thcson: Toulmin gives a good critique of Kuhn and discusses the history of scientific concepts from an evolutionary point of view. He utilizes the history of science in much the same way.
    The Body in Question by Jonathan Miller (Thruston)
    Thruston: The nature of the scientific process set out in Kuhn's masterly account, is one of the central themes in Miller's entertaining history of medicine and the way humans perceive themselves.

English (57)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (60)
In classical science, there are puzzle pieces that don’t fit the existing equations. Once there are too many discoveries that do not fit the existing premises, gradually a new concept evolves. What makes the whole idea more tangled is the fact that there mightn’t be necessarily a clear starting point of that new concept since there are always people exploring outside the accepted doctrine to clarify anomalies.

In my opinion, the essential message of this book is ‘Every breakthrough in science is achieved through a paradigm-shifting... (if you like to read my full review please visit my blog: https://leadersarereaders.blog/2018/10/02/the-structure-of-scientific-revolution...) ( )
  LeadersAreReaders | Feb 19, 2019 |
Essential piece of intellectual history, but its thesis/argument is quite confused, unclear, and contradictory. See Foucault, Feyerabend, Latour, or Piaget for something better. ( )
  alexanme | Dec 9, 2018 |
I read this for Mark Zuckerberg’s book club, A Year Of Books. I am not a scientist, I like science as in seeing it and hearing about new big discoveries, but I don’t conduct experiments or read up in detail about the current events in science. This is why I am not rating this book. I understood it in general terms, but once it went into more detail and the history of science I was at a loss. Thomas Kuhn explained paradigms (basically scientific laws that are established and do not need to be reconfirmed) well and the process it takes that causes changes to them or to be thrown out and replaced then how the changes are used to reevaluate previous founding based on the previous version paradigms. That is about all I understood from this book, he gave examples with great detail that I could not follow. So overall its an informative book, a bit too advance for me, I’m sure people who have more knowledge of scientific fields could really enjoy it.
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
This is not a book that can be read leisurely. It takes full concentration, and to be honest, I’m not sure that I caught everything. What I did catch about the theory of paradigm change and scientific revolutions was interesting. I like when he went in to the examples of different aspects of scientific revolutions in history (perhaps because those were the only concrete things he talked about). I understand that the successive steps that lead to scientific revolution and paradigm change.
What I don’t understand is the relevancy. I know that he mentions how scientific textbooks present the history of a science as linear and building towards and end goal. He mentions that there probably is no end-goal—no final, perfect truth. Does this matter to a scientist, solving “normal” science puzzles? (I guess that’s an unfair question to ask anything involving philosophy.) I wish I could have read this when it came out, and what Kuhn was claiming was revolutionary itself. ( )
  renardkitsune | May 19, 2018 |
An interesting book about how science marches further. He sweeps a history of nature of Scientific Revolution. Kuhn gives his own thoughts of Scientific revolutions from Copernicus. He talks about nature of normal science, paradigms, anomaly, crisis occurs, Response to Crisis.

I liked the chapter on Paradigms and how scientists are trained. Scientists receive beliefs from previous generation of scientists. Most of the content in the book, I felt I had already known them through Philosophy.

--Gottfried. ( )
  gottfried_leibniz | Apr 5, 2018 |
The lasting value of Kuhn’s thesis in The Structure of Scientific Revolutions is that it reminds us that any science, however apparently purified of the taint of philosophical speculation, is nevertheless embedded in a philosophical framework — and that the great success of physics and biology is due not to their actual independence from philosophy but rather to physicists’ and biologists’ dismissal of it. Those who are inclined to take this dismissal as meaning that philosophy is dead altogether, or has been replaced by science, will do well to recognize the force by which Kuhn’s thesis opposes this stance: History has repeatedly demonstrated that periods of progress in normal science — when philosophy seems to be moot — may be long and steady, but they lead to a time when non-scientific, philosophical questions again become paramount. ...

Kuhn deserves the respect of the rigorous criticism that has come his way. It is fitting that his provocative thesis has faced blistering scrutiny — and remarkable that it has survived to instruct and vex us five decades later.

Thomas S. Kuhnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hacking, IanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
History, if viewed as a repository for more than anecdote or chronology, could produce a decisive transformation in the image of science by which we are now possessed.
Questo libro del 1962, l'opera più conosciuta del filosofo americano e uno dei testi teorici più influenti della seconda metà del ventesimo secolo, è divenuto un punto di riferimento stabile per il mondo degli scienziati e dei filosofi della scienza, di cui ha contribuito a rinnovare profondamente vocabolario e orizzonti di riferimento. Nella "Struttura delle rivoluzioni scientifiche", Kuhn sostiene la tesi che la scienza, invece di progredire gradualmente verso la verità, è soggetta a rivoluzioni periodiche, le spiegazioni sono tali all'interno di una struttura, di una vasta rete di interconnessioni, che diventa sempre più sottile, ma che spesso si imbatte in fenomeni che non riesce a spiegare senza trasformare radicalmente se stessa. Esiste una interazione tra struttura concettuale della scienza e realtà, tra realtà sociale e scienza, che si manifesta nel complesso di forze che decidono cosa è problema e cosa è "soluzione" di un problema. Cosa non nuova, ma che Kuhn è stato il primo ad affrontare analiticamente, tenendo fede al detto baconiano con cui si apre questo libro non baconiano: "La verità emerge piuttosto dall'errore che dalla confusione".
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0226458083, Paperback)

There's a "Frank & Ernest" comic strip showing a chick breaking out of its shell, looking around, and saying, "Oh, wow! Paradigm shift!" Blame the late Thomas Kuhn. Few indeed are the philosophers or historians influential enough to make it into the funny papers, but Kuhn is one.

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions is indeed a paradigmatic work in the history of science. Kuhn's use of terms such as "paradigm shift" and "normal science," his ideas of how scientists move from disdain through doubt to acceptance of a new theory, his stress on social and psychological factors in science--all have had profound effects on historians, scientists, philosophers, critics, writers, business gurus, and even the cartoonist in the street.

Some scientists (such as Steven Weinberg and Ernst Mayr) are profoundly irritated by Kuhn, especially by the doubts he casts--or the way his work has been used to cast doubt--on the idea of scientific progress. Yet it has been said that the acceptance of plate tectonics in the 1960s, for instance, was sped by geologists' reluctance to be on the downside of a paradigm shift. Even Weinberg has said that "Structure has had a wider influence than any other book on the history of science." As one of Kuhn's obituaries noted, "We all live in a post-Kuhnian age." --Mary Ellen Curtin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

An analysis of the history of science. Its publication was a landmark event in the sociology of knowledge, and popularized the terms paradigm and paradigm shift.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,528,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible