Michelle by Deborah Hopkinson

I really enjoyed reading this book about Michelle Obama. This was an autobiography about her, but unlike the others, this one was actually written in more of a story form. There is no table of contents or glossary. I found this biography more helpful than the others because I actually followed along with it as a story. Even without the table of contents the book was still easy to follow. The written language was also easy to read, but at times it seemed like the sentences were too long. The characters were her husband, President Barack Obama, their children and her parents. They were all perceived as they are in real life because this was still a biography. It was also written in third person. There was no real conflict within this story because there weren’t any problems. The illustrations were very life like, especially on the front cover. I could tell that the illustrator paid close attention to detail. Even on the illustrations from when Michelle Obama was a teenager going to college, I could tell that the illustration was her without even reading. I also like how the author named the book Michelle. She had so many other options for the title but she chose this one. I think she did it purposefully in order to build the relationship with the reader. The author wanted the reader to feel as if they were on the same level as Michelle Obama. I really liked this quality of the book. The book didn’t really make me think about tough issues but it made me think about the presidential election and how I felt when the first African American President was elected. I also feel like this book made the reader think of Michelle Obama as a humble everyday person. I could see this book as being biased because the author had nothing but good things to say about her, they didn’t mention the negative things. The only one I remember was that her parents weren’t very wealthy and at one point they had to live in a one-bedroom apartment for four people. But overall, this was a really good book about the life of Michelle Obama. ( )
  nmills3 | Mar 17, 2016 |
This book is about the perseverance and drive Michelle Obama has to fulfill her dreams. As a child, she grew up in a one bedroom apartment with her family of four. Michelle studied hard, did her best and achieved her goals. Michelle graduated from Princeton and then from Harvard with her degree in law. She later met, Barack Obama, when she had to advise him in law. She fell in love with Barack's vision and supported him in everything he did. She worked hard as a mom and wife to have the best life they could. She enjoyed helping people and encouraging children to work hard and follow their dreams. In 2009, Michelle's husband was inaugurated as the US 44th president, making her the first lady of the United States of America. I enjoyed this book because it shows children that with hard work, perseverance and passion anything is possible, even becoming the first lady of the United States. ( )
  olivia.sanchez | Jan 19, 2016 |
This is the story of Michelle Obama. This is a wonderful book that helps young children learn all about the First Lady. Her biography starts when she is a young child to the time she becomes First Lady of the USA. I like this book because we learn that she has a lot in common with ordinary people. She loves mac and cheese and board games. There is a theme in this book: Never give up. Fight for your dreams. Although her parents did not have much, she overcame all the hardships and went on to get a good education. She graduated from law school. ( )
  ccanizales | Mar 3, 2015 |
Summary: Michelle Obama was born as the youngest daughter of a family living in Chicago. Her parents were very hard-working and taught Michelle very important lessons growing up. Although her family didn't have much money, they stressed the importance of education and how you have to work hard in order to succeed. Michelle studied so hard in school and got into Harvard to practice being a lawyer. She graduated and moved back to Chicago to begin her practice. At the firm, she met Barack Obama and they immediately connected. They fell in love and got married a few years later. Michelle shortly after left the law firm and moved on to work with community service. A few years later, Barack and Michelle had two girls and it became hard for her to juggle her own job and being a mom. Shortly after, Barack decided he wanted to run for president. Michelle followed Barack and helped campaign for his presidential campaign. She told her own story about coming from a working class family and working hard to get to where she was. In 2008, Barack became president and Michelle continued to share her story and talk to people.

Argument: I thought this book was a very nice way to explain Michelle's life. I really like the message this book portrayed. I think this main message is about working hard in order to succeed in life which I think is a very important message for children. Through reading Michelle Obama's story, students will get a strong message about the importance of education and how going to school and working hard to get good grades pays off in the future. ( )
  csteve13 | Dec 7, 2014 |
This book is a biography of Michelle Obama, the first lady of America and wife of President Obama. This book tells of Michelle's early life as well as her career, being a mother, and being the first lady of the United States. I learned a lot about Michelle Obama from this book. In particular when she was young, I had no idea that she was from a working class family or that she was such a gifted student. Michelle skipped second grade and in sixth grade she went to one of the best schools in Chicago. My favorite part of this biography though was the part when she stood by her husband when he ran for President. The author says that, "Michelle spoke of how each child in America deserved a better chance to excel". I loved that quote, I could not agree more. ( )
  SMLawrence | Oct 12, 2014 |

Smart and sure, hardworking, talented, professional and passionate, loving wife and mother, daughter, sister, friend.

This is the story of a girl from Chicago who dared to dream big, worked hard to make things happen, and grew up to be an extraordinary woman: Michelle Robinson Obama.

Deborah Hopkinson and AG Ford capture the inspiring story of the first African American First Lady in this beautiful picture-book biography.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:31 -0400)

Describes the life and accomplishments of Michelle Obama, from her childhood and early achievements in education to her career in law and community service, as well as her family life and marriage to Barack Obama.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible