Michelle by Deborah Hopkinson

Summary: Michelle Obama was born as the youngest daughter of a family living in Chicago. Her parents were very hard-working and taught Michelle very important lessons growing up. Although her family didn't have much money, they stressed the importance of education and how you have to work hard in order to succeed. Michelle studied so hard in school and got into Harvard to practice being a lawyer. She graduated and moved back to Chicago to begin her practice. At the firm, she met Barack Obama and they immediately connected. They fell in love and got married a few years later. Michelle shortly after left the law firm and moved on to work with community service. A few years later, Barack and Michelle had two girls and it became hard for her to juggle her own job and being a mom. Shortly after, Barack decided he wanted to run for president. Michelle followed Barack and helped campaign for his presidential campaign. She told her own story about coming from a working class family and working hard to get to where she was. In 2008, Barack became president and Michelle continued to share her story and talk to people.

Argument: I thought this book was a very nice way to explain Michelle's life. I really like the message this book portrayed. I think this main message is about working hard in order to succeed in life which I think is a very important message for children. Through reading Michelle Obama's story, students will get a strong message about the importance of education and how going to school and working hard to get good grades pays off in the future. ( )
  csteve13 | Dec 7, 2014 |
This book is a biography of Michelle Obama, the first lady of America and wife of President Obama. This book tells of Michelle's early life as well as her career, being a mother, and being the first lady of the United States. I learned a lot about Michelle Obama from this book. In particular when she was young, I had no idea that she was from a working class family or that she was such a gifted student. Michelle skipped second grade and in sixth grade she went to one of the best schools in Chicago. My favorite part of this biography though was the part when she stood by her husband when he ran for President. The author says that, "Michelle spoke of how each child in America deserved a better chance to excel". I loved that quote, I could not agree more. ( )
  SMLawrence | Oct 12, 2014 |
A gentle, exposition of Michelle Obama's journey from humble beginnings in Chicago to inauguration day. Thought not earth shattering, this book IS encouraging. I'm envisioning 4th and 5th grade girls becoming starry eyed as they learn of the merits of grit though the true story of a contemporary leader. ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 15, 2014 |
I love the first lady of the United States of America. She is very educated and a strong African American woman. Women as myself looks up to her because she is a great role model. I also love reading biographies about Michelle along with her husband the President. ( )
  MaryEttaJ | Apr 24, 2013 |
I love Michelle Obama!! She is a very educated and strong woman. She graduated from Harvard, a very prestigious college with a law degree. Education is a huge factor in my life. I always tell my babies that it doesn't matter what you go to college for, as long as you go. I respect Michelle tremendously for all that she has accomplished and I respect her even more so for doing her own thing and standing individually beside Barack. Women are strong creatures and she proves to us that women of all color can accomplish anything that they set their minds to. ( )
  Klefort | Oct 22, 2012 |

Smart and sure, hardworking, talented, professional and passionate, loving wife and mother, daughter, sister, friend.

This is the story of a girl from Chicago who dared to dream big, worked hard to make things happen, and grew up to be an extraordinary woman: Michelle Robinson Obama.

Deborah Hopkinson and AG Ford capture the inspiring story of the first African American First Lady in this beautiful picture-book biography.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:48 -0400)

Describes the life and accomplishments of Michelle Obama, from her childhood and early achievements in education to her career in law and community service, as well as her family life and marriage to Barack Obama.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible