The True Gift: A Christmas Story by Patricia…

The True Gift: A Christmas Story

by Patricia MacLachlan

754160,370 (4)1

As the sun streamed through the window this morning, I took this book off the shelf and spent delightful time reading another of MacLachlan's lovely books.

This author has a special way of softly unfolding the story. I've read most of the books of this Newbery award winning author and she never fails to disappoint.

Lily and Liam look forward each year to the Pre-Christmas visit to their grandparent's farm. Avid readers, the two love the slow pace of farm life in the winter, of time to read, time to bake cookies and time to spend with loving grandparents.

When Liam notices a solitary white cow alone in the field of his grandparent's farm, he believes the cow looks forlorn and lonely. Obsessed with finding company for white cow, short on funds, but large in heart, Liam posts notices throughout the tiny hamlet imploring people to help.

Pooling funds together, and selling their beloved books, nets just enough to rescue a lovely brown cow from the clutches of a mean spirited man.

Realizing that what I'm writing sounds corny and trite, I want to stress the loveliness of this simple tale. The writing is lyrical and wonderful.
  Whisper1 | Jan 27, 2014 |
When Lily and her younger brother Liam go to stay with their grandparents during the week leading up to Christmas - a yearly tradition in their family - they expect another delightful visit, full of the joy of spending time with loved ones, visiting the local "lilac" library (so named because it always smells of lilacs), decorating the house and tree, and selecting gifts at the local shops. Things don't go quite as planned however, when Liam - sensitive and very stubborn - decides that something must be done about White Cow, now the sole resident of their grandparents' adjacent field, after the departure of her only companion, Rosie the donkey. Convinced that White Cow is lonely, and bolstered by his research, which indicates that cows are social animals, Liam sets out to find a companion for the solitary cow, eventually winning over the reluctant Lily to his cause...

This brief chapter-book by the author of the Newbery Medal winner Sarah, Plain and Tall is an engaging holiday story, one which highlights the emotional lives of animals, and emphasizes our responsibility to care for the creatures in our charge. I can't think of another story for children which imparts this message using livestock animals, rather than pets, and think it would be especially appealing - for this reason - for vegetarian children, and for readers particularly interested in the welfare of farm animals. For those young readers who are not, parents should probably expect questions about where meat comes from, and how the animals in question were treated. I know I was thinking about it, while reading The True Gift. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 18, 2013 |
Cute story, though I had the distinct feeling it started out much longer and got edited down. ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
When I describe this story as a bibliophile that wants to help a cow at Christmas is might sound like an odd premise. Actually this chapter book tells a very poignant story about a perfect holiday trip becoming even more meaningful. This story will quietly engage young readers. ( )
  pacollins | Dec 9, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141699081X, Hardcover)

All year long Lily and Liam look forward to Christmas on their grandparents' farm. It's always the perfect trip -- walking to the lilac library, trimming the tree, giving gifts. But this year, thanks to a white cow alone in the meadow, things will be different. This Christmas, Lily and Liam will find out the meaning of a true gift.

From one of our most beloved authors comes a brand-new holiday classic that rings in the season by celebrating the joys of family, community, and true giving.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:37 -0400)

While spending Christmas at their grandparents' farm, Lily becomes convinced that her younger brother Liam is right about White Cow being lonely and helps him seek a companion for her, leaving little time for Christmas preparations or reading.

22 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible