dismiss

Confessions of St. Augustine by Saint…

Confessions of St. Augustine

by Saint Augustine

One of the most influential religious books in the Christian tradition recalls crucial events in the author's life: his mid-4th-century origins in rural Algeria; the rise to a lavish lifestyle at the imperial court in Milan; his struggle with sexual desires; eventual renunciation of secular ambitions and marriage; and recovery of his Catholic faith.… (more)
    The Six Enneads by Plotinus (jpers36)
    jpers36: Plotinus was a major influence on Augustine.
    Early Christian Lives (Penguin Classics) by Carolinne White (Anonymous user)
    Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life by C. S. Lewis (2below)
    2below: For anyone interested in exploring spiritual autobiographies, C. S. Lewis' is worth checking out. Unlike Augustine, who covers the entire span of his life from birth to his conversion in adulthood, Lewis focuses on his childhood and young adult years and how his experiences during this time shaped the development of his spiritual life as he got older. I found Lewis' book a much quicker read than Augustine's, though both are very good.… (more)
    Holy Bible - Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) by Wartburg Project (lhungsbe)
    The Book of Margery Kempe by Margery Kempe (Cecrow)
    Late Have I Loved Thee by Ethel Mannin (lisanicholas)
    lisanicholas: Mannin's novel is modeled on the real-life spiritual autobiography of St Augustine of Hippo. Read the original!
    The Public Hating {short story} by Steve Allen (satanburger)
    satanburger: CONFESSIONS 6.8 (you'll see the similarities)

English (102)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (113)
Rated: D
Confessions by St. Augustine is a Christian classical read written around 400 AD (like before we knew the world was round). The autobiographical books (I-IX) reveal his life of sin before his conversion to Christianity. Very enlightening witnessing a misspent youth coming to know the truth in Christ. However, the remainder of the books (X-XIII) where he shares his commentary on time and creation based on his understanding of the book of Genesis were far too glandular to the point of irrelevance. ( )
  jmcdbooks | May 13, 2020 |
I read this because I'm working my way through Clifton Fadiman's "The New Lifetime Reading Plan" (1999), and this book was number 22. So, o.k., I've checked that box. I sense some people like it because this intelligent and sincere man was the most effective defender the Church has had in its long history. So it's worth knowing his thought processes for that reason alone. He was a spiritual seeker who tried on different philosophies like Manichaeism and Neoplatonism before settling on Catholicism, but he apparently knew nothing of Buddhism or Taoism. I sense that if he'd been born in India we'd be reading a Buddhism apologia rather than a Christian one. I get that this is a very moving account of one person's journey toward God, but he (like Aristotle) couldn't know anymore about creation than the limits of logic allowed. The philosopher Protagoras said: "As for the gods, I have no way of knowing either that they exist or that they do not exist." Augustine, however, presupposes God, and sin, and the sanctity of scripture. For me, this was not an open minded discussion, but mainly devotional stuff. Also, I challenge anyone to really understand what he's trying to say in Books 10-13. It is very difficult, very metaphysical. I think it would be more accessible to advanced philosophy majors than to most average readers. ( )
  chas69 | May 6, 2020 |
189 AUG
  alessandragg | Apr 21, 2020 |
He was born 354 A.D. in Thagaste, Numidia of a Roman father (Patricius) and a Berber mother Monica, and died 430 A.D. in Hippo, Algeria. He became one of the greatest writers of Christian theology largely through the preservation of his writings. He was a product of his times; women were for sexual enjoyment, and procreation, and were to obey their husbands. This was a challenging read, completed through a sense of duty, not of enjoyment. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Feb 6, 2020 |
A book that needs to be read several times at differnt points in life ( )
  ShaneBX | Feb 4, 2020 |

Is contained in

Contains

Is abridged in

Has as a study

An allegorical interpretation of the first chapter of Genesis (Book XIII)
dedicated to parentibus meis
You are great, O Lord, and greatly to be praised: great is your power and to your wisdom there is no limit.
You are great, O Lord, and very worthy of praise; mighty is your power and your wisdom is immeasurable.
'Vast are you, Lord, and vast should be your praise' - 'vast what you do; what you know beyond assaying.'
Great art Thou, O Lord, and greatly to be praised;  great is Thy power, and of Thy wisdom there is no number.   [tr. F. J. Sheed]
It became clear to me that things which are subject to corruption must be good, for if they were perfect, or not good at all, they could not be corrupted.
Corruption is an agent of harm but if it is not taking away from what is good, it is causing no harm.
Who remembers the sins of my infancy? ... What were my sins? Did I bawl too loudly for the breast?
As an adolescent I had prayed ... "Give me chastity and give me control over myself, BUT NOT YET".

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014044114X, 0143039512, 0143105701

Bridge Logos

An edition of this book was published by Bridge Logos.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,732,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible