Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography by Jo…

Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (2009)

by Jo Brand

Short Ok read. I don't like stand up comedians in general but I've seen Jo Brand on Countdown and she always makes me laugh with her made up words. So this was picked up cheap at the local Lions Sale. Quite interesting, particularly the sections about her mental health nurse work. To my relief I didn't dislike her by the end although I'd still never go to her stand up show. ( )
  infjsarah | Aug 8, 2015 |
It wasn't about food really. Interesting book, seems very honest. I was surprised about her fathers behaviour. Full of admiration for her work as a nurse in mental health - lots of integrity, shame she is not working there now. Could do with people like her. ( )
  happyanddandy1 | Feb 22, 2014 |
Not as belly laugh-filled as I'd expected, but still interesting, charming and in places very moving. The focus is on her pre-comedy career, delivered in her unmistakable laconic style. She's not big on picking over the past, so the book reads as a series of vignettes with a few random tangents here and there. ( )
  missizicks | Mar 30, 2013 |
I wanted to like this book, but found it rather lacking in substance, humour and quality. Obviously, someone's life story is what it is and cannot be embellished, but I found it rather boring. I don't feel like I could get into Brand's mind at any point in her life and got rather tired of her 'could've gone to Oxbridge' obsessions. I am also saddened that the book finished just as her comedy career was taking off- I sense another volume may be on the horizon. ( )
  martensgirl | Dec 24, 2012 |
I found Brand's nursing career stories very interesting, and she is obviously a lot more intelligent than I had previously given her credit for ... but I would have liked the story to continue, to learn more about her career as a stand up. Oh well, maybe a second volume will be coming ... here's hoping, because I was very engaged with her narrative. ( )
  Franby | May 5, 2012 |
To anyone out there who hasn't done what they want to do yet.
Thanks to everyone who helped me.
'Please welcome Jo Brand!'

Jo Brand is one of Britain's funniest and best-loved comedians. With a sharp eye for the absurd and in her own unique voice, she tells her story for the first time. What possessed her to become a professional comedian in the cut-throat world of stand-up comedy after ten years as a psychiatric nurse? How did she deal with late night drunken audiences? From her early years growing up in a small south coast town with two brothers who toughened her up, to emerging on stage as 'The Sea Monster', Jo Brand tells it like it is with wit and candour.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:19 -0400)

Jo Brand is one of Britain's funniest and best-loved comedians. With a sharp eye for the absurd and in her own unique voice she tells her story for the first time with wit, candour and a wonderful sense that life can be ridiculous, but there's always a funny side.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,508,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible