Walt Disney's Uncle Remus Stories by Marion…

Walt Disney's Uncle Remus Stories (edition 1974)

by Marion Palmer

Info:Golden Press (1974), Hardcover
Collections:Your library, read, tbr 2013
Tags:humor, juvenile

Walt Disney's Uncle Remus Stories by Joel Chandler Harris

It is crazy to read children's literature from 25 years ago, even though I've read these books as a kid. Now that I understand them better and seek a message, this book was pretty violent. Brer Rabbit is constantly tricking and hurting Brer Bear and Brer Fox. The rabbit tricks the bear into trapping himself on a rope on a tree. He punches a pretend bear for not saying hi to him. I don't think this book would be suitable for an elementary classroom. ( )
  bmmoore | May 8, 2014 |
From Brer Bear to Brer Fox to Brer Rabbit and all the rest, I share their stories and my love of the Song of the South with my young children and grandchildren. One of my favorite books! ( )
  ElnEm | Jul 29, 2008 |
23 Adaptations of the Original Tales of the author
  BiskeyHM | Jul 1, 2008 |
Summary:
A series of stories about Brer Rabbit a character with a knack for getting himself into trouble. Illustrated by Disney studios in 1947, the book is very old in style and very politically incorrect. The writing is "old southern style" and would be offensive to many people.

Review:
I included this book in my collection for my class to simply show how far children's literature has come. This book was put out by Disney to accompany their movie "Song of the South" and their adaptations of Uncle Remus stories by Joel Chandler Harris. An example of the style of writing: "When Brer Rabbit look down inter dat big open alligater mouf, it seem like he see more toofs dan der wuz stars in de sky."

I think the writing was supposed to reflect the dialect of the old south and some of the people who lived there, but to me it does nothing but show how wrong it was to keep people uneducated and does nothing to do away with old stereotypes. This book does however show how much Disney was invested in children's literature and illustrations for children. ( )
  sharese | Jun 8, 2008 |
Way down deep in de brier-patch is de home of Brer Rabbit.
Brer Fox an de Rabbit Trap. I'm tired of stayin' home, said Brer Rabbit one day. I'm goin' away...far, far away...an I'm goin' to have some fun.
Dat's my laughing place!

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible