The Dickens With Love by Josh Lanyon

The Dickens With Love

by Josh Lanyon

I don't normally read Christmas books because they don't appeal and to me it seems like a band that suddenly releases a Christmas album and you know it's just for the money. Not that I am saying that is what was being done here, not at all, but that is my reasoning for avoiding most Christmas stories.

Having said that, I loved this book! I was immediately, completely drawn into James' world. The story is so well balanced the humor mixed with the sadness and stress of the season, just when it is needed. Both James and Sedgwick’s loneliness, born of different experiences, made the story all the more touching.

A delightful sweet read that will leave you smiling and, perhaps, as it did for me, wanting to explore more of Dickens’ Christmas stories (unfortunately not The Christmas Cake).
  aahickman | Aug 28, 2013 |
Sometimes it is a nice thing when a book is short, just a novella or a short story because only the most important parts of a character are depicted. James, in his solitude after being involved in a murder case, lost all his wealth but is about to receive a splendid gift. Yes, this is a Christmas story with a happy ending. Read it because it ought to touch you! ( )
  Kaysbooks | May 4, 2013 |
Read for m/m team bingo holiday challenge. ( )
  Nightcolors | Apr 8, 2013 |
RBRS #...lost track

Blessedly short. Surprisingly prosaic plot with a mysterious past, dastardly villain, a misunderstanding, and two hot people hooking up. Instead of a sassy gay friend, there is a dumpy hetero friend. There was a lot stuffed into this small story. Twss, with chocolate creme brulee body cream.

The secksy scenes used some odd metaphors. They were also blessedly brief. TMI, but I was kind of relieved that none of them "worked" for me. Exit only!

This is a text in wish fulfillment and immediate gratification. Despite the thrust of the relationship, no pun intended, the omnipotent viewpoint described the feelings as being of the enduring kind. Sadly, I don't think this pair would last beyond the holidays. ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
Nice romantic novella. Man is down on his luck, a little cynical meets man who is seeking meaning in his life. James is trying to get back his reputation and employment in the book appraising business. Sedgwick is selling a family treasure : an unknown Christmas Dickens story. This is short and sweet with a dash of spice. A bit too sweet for my taste. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Mar 30, 2013 |

Three years ago, a scandal cost antiquarian “book hunter” James Winter everything that mattered to him: his job, his lover and his self-respect. But now the rich and unscrupulous Mr. Stephanopoulos has a proposition. A previously unpublished Christmas book by Charles Dickens has turned up in the hands of an English chemistry professor by the name of Sedgwick Crisparkle. Mr. S. wants that book at any price, and he needs James to get it for him. There’s just one catch. James can’t tell the nutty professor who the buyer is.

Actually, two catches. The nutty Professor Crisparkle turns out to be totally gorgeous—and on the prowl. Faster than you can say, “Old Saint Nick,” James is mixing business with pleasure…and in real danger of forgetting that this is just a holiday romance.

Just as they’re well on the way to having their peppermint sticks and eating them too, Sedgwick discovers the truth. James has been a very bad boy. And any chance Santa will bring him what he wants most is disappearing quicker than the Jolly Old Elf’s sleigh.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible