Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Tide of War by Seth Hunter

The Tide of War (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Seth Hunter (Author)

Member:losloper
Title:The Tide of War
Authors:Seth Hunter (Author)
Info:Headline Review (2010),
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Roman, Naval Fiction, Engels

The Tide of War by Paul Bryers (2010)

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
2nd book in the story of Nathaniel Peake - a young post captain of the "Unicorn" in 1794/95 in the West Indies as he battles the larger French vessel "Virginie". The bar is set pretty low on Nautical Fiction (outside of O'Brian and Forrester) - but this one doesn't quite come up to even that low level. ( )
  stuart10er | Sep 27, 2013 |
I read the first in the series of Seth Hunter's Nathan Peake naval adventures a few years back, actually quite enjoyed the story and the character - then forgot all about checking for sequels! I noticed book the second on the library shelf - there is a perk to working in a public library after all - and thought I would try for a lighter seafaring story, after struggling with Mr O'Brian. Seth Hunter (Paul Bryers) is definitely easier on the imagination than the author of the Aubrey/Maturin series, which I suspect inspired the creation of Nathan Peake, and I fell straight back into a companionable appreciation of his quirky hero, here made post captain and given a beleaguered ship named the Unicorn, and her troubled crew, to go after the French vessel Virginie in the Caribbean. The naval jargon is not incomprehensible, the action is well paced , and the instructive but not intrusive blend of historical fact and fiction works well. Also, for readers returning after extended shore leave, like myself, or jumping straight in to the second novel, Hunter helpfully provides a backstory in the first couple of chapters to get everyone up to speed. Great fun in an exotic location - I promise not to wait so long before reading the next novel in the series! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | May 31, 2013 |
Summary: Commander Nathan Peake has finally been given his own ship, a commission for the captaincy of the Unicorn. There are only two problems: the Unicorn is currently in the Caribbean, an ocean away from Nathan, and the vacancy has come about because her previous captain was found washed up on the shores of New Orleans with his throat slit by mutineers. When Nathan is finally able to claim his ship, he finds her in good repair, but full of a sullen and ill-trained crew... not the ideal situation for the fulfillment of his orders, which include hunting down the French ship Virginie, which is suspected of fomenting rebellion among the slave populations throughout the colonies.

Review: I wasn't bowled over by the first book, The Time of Terror, but I thought it had enough promise that it would be worth picking up the second. Specifically, I enjoyed the characters, and thought individual scenes - particularly the naval ones - were well written, but I thought he tried to cover too much ground history-wise, and that it wasn't particularly accessible. The good news is that the things I liked about The Time of Terror were also things I liked about The Tide of War, and there were more of them; much more time is spent at sea vs. on land in the second book. However, the bad news is that the problems I had with the first book were also present in the second book as well.

Hunter's books are historically dense, and something about the way he presents that history doesn't entirely work for me - I think he's expecting readers to already be somewhat familiar with the time period and the political climate and the major players before they start reading. And while that may be a reasonable assumption for the French Revolution, it's maybe less so for the Caribbean politics of the same time - at least, I'd never read anything much about it. As a consequence, I feel like there were some angles of the plot that were lost on me, and the (rather lengthy) sections that described them felt like they dragged. Because The Tide of War spends more of its time on the naval adventures rather than on the political scheming, it's enjoyable enough as a series of set pieces; I found I could enjoy the action of the moment - say, of Nathan and his men storming a fort - without being able to explain the political ramifications of why they were doing so in the first place. But in general, I prefer my historical fiction with a more accessible history, so while this book definitely had some good moments, as a whole, it wasn't a particular standout for me. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Fans of the Age of Sail who have a better grounding in the history than I do (or are willing to read over it to get to the battles with pirates) should enjoy this one. It's technically the second in a series but doesn't really rely too much on the events of the first one, so it could be read independently. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jul 23, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Seth Hunter’s The Tide of War took awhile to get going, but once it did it was a ripping good tale. I look forward to reading the next book.
  amanda4242 | Jun 23, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I took the time to purchase and read the first book Time of Terror since it is helpful to me to know what has happened to characters in a book previously. The first book was good but a little slow going in developing the characters. The second book, Tide of Ward however moved along and since I was familiar with the different people in the book, it made it more enjoyable to read. The twists and turns to Nathan's life in and out of the Royal Navy were very well done and just when I thought I figured out how it would end, I was completely surprised by its ending. I love the discriptions of the old sailing ships and I look forward to seeing a third book so I can see what happens to Nathan next. ( )
  Mary-Anne42 | Apr 30, 2011 |
for Pat Kavanagh
The body had been brought up from the coast in a hogshead of rum and at the Governor's request they fished it out for him and laid it out on a tarp, the head lolling horribly in the glare of the new oil lamps from Philadelphia.

When the tide of war is on the rise, telling friend from foe is a dangerous proposition. It's 1794, and newly promoted Captain Nathan Peake is dispatched to the Caribbean to take command of the British navy's latest frigate, the 32-gun Unicorn, a ship with a tragic history of mutiny and murder. Indeed, her previous captain was found washed up in New Orleans with his throat cut, and the men who did it are still at large. But Peake has greater problems to deal with: he must find the French war ship Virginie sent to the region to spread war, rebellion and mayhem and stop her at any cost. Along the way, he confronts the seductive charms of La Princesa Negra, the witch queen of the Army of Lucumi, and falls victim to the dangerous intrigues of the American agent Gilbert Imlay.… (more)

6 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Tide of War by Paul Bryers was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,709,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible