The Imperial Cruise: A Secret History of…

The Imperial Cruise: A Secret History of Empire and War (edition 2009)

by James Bradley

Member:realfish
Title:The Imperial Cruise: A Secret History of Empire and War
Authors:James Bradley
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages

The Imperial Cruise by James Bradley

Recently added byleylat, private library, JohnB23, LitaVore, ShawIslandLibrary, KimOtis

Theodore's Roosevelt's colonial aspirations ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 9, 2017 |
Teddy's desire for expansion. ( )
  busterrll | Oct 10, 2016 |
Historical fiction in the style of Bradley...a thinly veiled condemnation of Roosevelt's racist policies. ( )
  apomonis | Jun 2, 2016 |
Opened a whole new interest in history for me. Very intrigued by revisionist history angle. We had no idea our history books were one-sided and anything but 100% accurate. We were a horrible people...

Given to me by Jim and Sue Caldwell ( )
  sidrose | Jan 23, 2016 |
This had an unusual take on Teddy Roosevelt and some of the prewar politics in Asia, but it really wasn't much about his daughter as it seemed like it was going to be and overall, I didn't find a readable flow of the events. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
What could have been a clear, sharp revision of the Roosevelt myth is hampered by a clumsy attack... Bradley’s so incensed by Roosevelt’s foreign policies – especially with regards to Japan – that he forgets to organize his thoughts.

Mr. Bradley, the author of “Flags of Our Fathers,” does not simply cite Roosevelt’s egregious talk. He presents this much-ignored aspect of Roosevelt’s thinking with sharp specificity (“I am so angry with that infernal little Cuban republic that I would like to wipe its people off the face of the earth,” Roosevelt wrote in 1906) and then goes on to make a much more damaging point, angrily and persuasively connecting Roosevelt’s race-based foreign policy miscalculations in Asia. His thesis in “The Imperial Cruise” is startling enough to reshape conventional wisdom about Roosevelt’s presidency.

James Bradleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shandler, GeoffEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ward, George W.Map illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"I wish to see the United States the dominant power on the shores of the Pacific Ocean." - Theodore Roosevelt, October 29, 1900
For Michelle, Alison, Ava, Jack
When my father, John Bradley, died in 1994, his hidden memory boxes illuminated his experience as one of the six men who raised the flag on Iwo Jima.

In 1905 President Teddy Roosevelt dispatched Secretary of War William Howard Taft on the largest U.S. diplomatic mission in history to Hawaii, Japan, the Philippines, China, and Korea. Roosevelt's glamorous twenty-one year old daughter Alice served as mistress of the cruise, which included senators and congressmen. On this trip, Taft concluded secret agreements in Roosevelt's name.

In 2005, a century later, James Bradley traveled in the wake of Roosevelt's mission and discovered what had transpired in Honolulu, Tokyo, Manila, Beijing and Seoul.

In 1905, Roosevelt was bully-confident and made secret agreements that he though would secure America's westward push into the Pacific. Instead, he lit the long fuse on the Asian firecrackers that would singe America's hands for a century.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:37 -0400)

Analyzes the multinational conflicts that set the stage for World War II, the Chinese communist revolution, and the Korean War, documenting Theodore Roosevelt's 1905 diplomatic mission in the Pacific through which the United States forged ill-fated covert agreements.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

James Bradley's book The Imperial Cruise was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,446,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible