Women's Home Workout Bible by Brad…

Women's Home Workout Bible (edition 2009)

by Brad Schoenfeld

Member:bittergrrl
Title:Women's Home Workout Bible
Authors:Brad Schoenfeld
Info:Human Kinetics (2009), Edition: 1 Original, Paperback, 336 pages

Women's Home Workout Bible by Brad Schoenfeld

This is one of the three books I got at once that are for fitness. This is my second favorite one. It has good, clear instructions and plenty of photos/illustrations.

It gives brief information on the stability ball and on fitness bands, (aka: resistance bands) The first two chapters are about claiming your workout space and such. It's Chapter 3 when this book starts with the exercises. For the arms/shoulders, there are just a couple of body weight exercises, but a fair number of resistance bands ones. Clear instructions on how to do it, and what materials you'll need. The different parts of the body that you are working out are color coded, such as a darker blue for the arms, green for torso, and so on. If you're not color-blind, this is handy.

Chapter 4 picks up with dumbbells and barbells and gives you some information again before going into the exercises. The info is worth looking at, especially if you are new to some of these things, such as the resistance bands, ball, dumbbells, and other things you'll find as you go through this book. Again, the different parts of the body are color coded in the same manner, which makes it easy to go directly to the area you want to work on in your fitness routine.

Chapter 5 brings in "The Machines". It gives good information on the different machines you may be considering for your home gym. I suggest reading this chapter carefully, especially if you're just starting out with machines. (I don't use them, and would need this, just to know some of the things to look for, if I wanted to buy a multifunction machine.) Once again, yes, color coded by area of body.

Chapter 6 introduces us to the Cardio. It gives us good information on "The Big Three" machines; Treadmill, Elliptical Trainer and Stationary Bikes. Good, basic information on what to expect and look for. It then gives some basic info on things such as the Rower, Stair Climber, Ski Machines.

Chapter 7 gives us "The Final Stretch". Their bad pun, not mine. Talks about the need for stretching and how it relates to a fitness program.

Part III gives us Strategies and home workouts. Talks a bit about the muscles and such with good illustrations. The workouts are in a nice "table" format to use. The workouts are grouped by how much you can/will spend for working out. For instance, for me, the $100 one is what I use, as I could not afford the machines, or barbells and such.

This book assumes that those using it are fully mobile, which I am not, but I am able to figure out how to modify the exercises to fit my situation. It may take some thinking to do this, but it's worth it. I do wish that books like this would have at least one chapter devoted to the mobility impaired and how to do modified exercises. (Or even right with the exercises, would be better.)

I do recommend this book for those looking to start strength training, and wanting exercises that use equipement from different budget categories. One thing that would be nice is a lay flat binding, so that the book can be laid flat to look at the exercises while trying to do them. ( )
  Sirsangel | Nov 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have a fair number of exercise books, and a good amount of exercise equipment already, but I still found this book to be very informative - and I as I was reading it, I found myself wishing I had owned it before I had purchased all of the equipment that I have.

The book is basically structured into two parts. The first part outlines the various ways you can set up a home gym based on your budgetary requirements. It is almost like a cafeteria approach, which shows you want the basic equipment is, and then gives you further options if you want to upgrade your equipment down the line.

The second part of the book provides exercises that will work various muscle groups using the equipment you would have purchased based on the recommendations from the first part of the book. There are exercises for all types of equipment and modifications for beginners and more advanced folks. Though I already know some of the exercises from my various other books, it's kind of nice to have a book that caters specifically to women (and not unrealistically thin women, or super muscular women).

The photos of both the equipment gives you an idea of what to look for when you're out at the store, and the photos of the exercises are straightforward and contribute to the descriptions.

What I found refreshing about this book is the relatively honest approach to recommendations and the flexibility with regard to both equipment and exercises. It is clear that the author is not interested in selling you anything, but in providing options and encouraging people to care about their fitness goals. If you're just starting a workout routine and don't want to spend a lot of money, then he suggests a way to do that, which will carry you through to more advanced and challenging exercises using that same equipment. As you progress, you can return to the book and decide what route is best for you, without feeling like there is only one way forward. Though I personally already had a lot of the equipment he mentions, I now have a better sense for how to use the equipment and which equipment I can probably do without. ( )
1 vote bittergrrl | Jul 6, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was very informational and motivational in getting me started on a workout plan that suits my needs. I would recommend it to friends who need a good workout plan. ( )
  Karbie | May 4, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
So you know where I am coming from, I am very out of shape, and I have no knowledge to compare this book to.

There are several different levels of budget, which I thought was very cool. It includes information about how to pick the equipment at each level - what to look for and what to avoid. Each exercise is laid out on a single page, with pictures. The women in the pictures look like normal women, who happen to be in decent shape. There are a lot more exercises at the lower cost levels than there are at the spend-a-lot-of-money-on-a-machine level.

Three basic routines for each cost level are presented at the end, for a total of 12 routines. There's also a cardio interval workout included.

It is a dry, informative book; it presents information clearly and concisely, without a lot of annoying pep talks and "You go girl!" attitude.

I am glad to have a copy, and I will be using it to craft a routine to improve my strength and health.
  redrose | Mar 23, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This one's a keeper. On my first scan-through, I found this book non-intimidating, easy to follow and a great reference. The author explains how to work out at home using a variety of tools and equipment - dummbells, barbells, exercise bands, exercise balls, etc. - in additoin to exercises using only your own body weight. Exercises are organized by muscle group and there are many options for working with an exercise ball as an alternative to a bench. You can customize, depending on what resources you have available. The photos are simple and easy to follow and the women featured look like fit and toned normal people, not necessarily models. There's a ton of information about exercising to target cardio health, fat loss, etc. and tips on customizing workouts. There are sample suggested workout plans. After my first quick read, I knew what to purchase to supplement the tools I already own without spending much money. I work out with a trainer at my gym who's been showing me many of these exercises to do at home and I'll find it helpful to refer to this book as a reminder of proper form, etc. I don't think I would have purchased this and now I'm glad I have it. ( )
  LitChick1 | Mar 21, 2010 |
Certified fitness expert Schoenfeld (Sculpting Her Body Perfect) offers 12 customizable programs for full-body conditioning and gives female fitness enthusiasts the skinny on setting up a home gym for every budget. He argues for just three essential investments: an exercise mat, a set of leg weights, and an adjustable chinning bar and points to household items as tenable substitutes. Each clearly illustrated move speaks to body parts targeted, variations, and proper execution; he is assiduous in telling readers not just what to do ("keep your chin up at all times") but why to do it ("this prevents rounding of the spine"). Set, rep, and rest interval specifications as well as a short but sufficient discussion of cardio interval training complete the book.

Verdict Pair with Leah Garcia’s equally instructive Weight Training for Women to create the ultimate at-home workout experience.—Raya Kuzyk, Library Journal
added by Fitguy | editLibrary Journal, Raya Kuzyk (Sep 11, 2009)

Women's Home Workout Bible is a fantastic book for any woman looking to get into better shape. It's one of the best books I've found to help you get started - from the very first steps.

Author Brad Schoenfeld does an awesome job - with great details - on getting your home setup with a budget anywhere from under $100 to over $2500. Brad lists the type of equipment that will work in each cost range, and what to plan in terms of space.

...Highly recommended!

Shed unwanted weight, sculpt your physique, tone muscles, reduce joint pain, or simply be healthier and more fit. Women's Home Workout Bible will show you how--all in the privacy and comfort of your own home.

In Women's Home Workout Bible, best-selling author and renowned personal trainer Brad Schoenfeld shares his secrets on the perfect at-home workout. Step by step, you'll identify the home gym setup and workouts for your fitness goals, schedule, and budget.

You'll learn how to set up your personal gym for as little as $100, or expand your options with more equipment for $500, $1000, or more than $2500. Whatever your budget, with over 160 exercises, you'll have plenty of variety, including bands, balls, free weights, and fitness machines.

Women's Home Workout Bible will then ensure you get the most out of your investment. You'll learn how to set up workouts and organize your training for noticeable results. To get you started, there are 12 four-week programs for conditioning, sculpting, and core stability, plus three levels of fat-burning cardio workouts. And with expert advice, exercise tips, and answers to the questions you always wanted to ask, it's like having your very own personal trainer and fitness consultant.

If you're ready to reclaim your body without the expense or scrutiny of public health clubs, you need Women's Home Workout Bible.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:23 -0400)

This is the ultimate guide to working out in the comfort of home by building a gym suited to each specific budget!

Brad Schoenfeld is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Women's Home Workout Bible by Brad Schoenfeld was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,460,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible