Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Sons of Destiny by Darren Shan
8302016,296 (4.1)3

Glad this series is done. I have to admit, I would have tried to get Mr Tiny killed instead of just bypassing him. He might be powerful, but he has weaknesses. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
3.5 Stars

A finale that ends up being depressing and cheerful at the same time. A beautiful ending that somehow seems hollow but ultimately stays imaginative in its twists and creative in its results. Darren Shan's character being named after the author is fully revealed and makes ironic sense in a warped humor. I think the hollowness is the feeling of so many lives touched that, in the presence and the reality, don't know what they're missing anymore since the events were so changed. But it was a respite to see Darren's end and how all worlds and all lives must come together anyway, so it's good after all. Again, depressing and sad - but cheerful and peaceful in a way too. I would another paragraph or two would have been added to show more of a reunion I wanted, but the magic of mystery stays strong by keeping it short.

There's plenty of action in this one; again the pacing is non-stop and the book easy to breeze through. There's a lot of tragedy and loss, in the ending as well, but the book ends in such a creative way you can't help but admire the plot structure. The fights are brutal and drawn out but not overbearing, and even the worst of the villains become more three-dimensional as they show more sides than 'just evil.' Well, besides that Mr. Tiny...

Such an excellent series, my favorite YA world. Every book has it's ups and downs but it all added together to be a gritty, surreal, one-of-a-kind journey. In a way I admire the ending, in a way I wanted a different one.

The Cirque Du Freak has been visited, it has been experienced, and part of me even survived it. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
A good ending to the saga. I've enjoyed this series although by now I'm happy to stay away from Darren Shan for a while!! Kids in my class absolutely love the series, I can totally see why. A great read and fantastic for getting boys into reading. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
As Darren faces the final showdown with his archenemy, Steve Leopard, he seeks a way to trick destiny and avoid the requirement that one of them die and the other become Lord of the Shadows, fated to destroy the world.
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |
The climax of this book was very powerful. What I loved about it was that it really could have gone either way and I was on the edge of my seat to find out what happens next. This is the kind of book that you have to read in one sitting because there's no way you're putting it down. As amazing as part one was, I think I enjoyed part the most. Endings can make good stories bad and vice versa. This one made a great story awesome! I applaud the author for the thoughtful and rewarding way that he wrapped up this saga. Great book!! Great series!!! ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
For: Bas, Biddy and Liam - my three pillars
OBE's (Order of the Bloody Entrails) to: "Lucky" Alan Moriarty, A and Bo - Bangkok's best banshees, Emily "Lilliputian" Chuang, and Jennifer "Stacey" Abbots
Saga Editors: Domenica De Rosa, Gillie Russell, Zoe Clarke and Julia Bruce - you done good, girls!
Bloody Brilliant Buccaneers: The Christopher Little Cutthroats
And an extra special thank you to all of my Shansters, especially those who have kept me company on Shanville. Even in death may you all be triumphant!
If my life was a fairy tale and I was writing a book about it, I'd start with, "Once upon a time there were two boys called Darren and Steve..." But my life's a horror story, so if I were to write about it, I'd have to begin with something like this instead: Evil has a name - Steve Leopard.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316016640, Mass Market Paperback)

Time seemed to collapse... There was a sharp stabbing sensation in my stomach... Steve crowed, "Now I have you! Now you're gonna die!"

Dead if he loses - damned if he wins. The time has finally come for Darren to face his archenemy, Steve Leopard. One of them will die. The other will become the Lord of the Shadows - and destroy the world.

Is the future written, or can Darren trick destiny?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,482,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible