Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon

I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. It was nice to take a peak back at Nick when he was younger but I did feel this book is definitely geared for more younger teens. I enjoyed it though, more than I thought I would for a book about zombies (which I don't particularly favor). Hmm...so Nick gets his butt kicked a TON in this book.

I loved seeing some of my favorite Dark Hunter characters as well such as Simi and Acheron. I heart them both and it makes me sad to see everyone so happy here when I know what is impending from the Dark Hunter series. EEEEK. I will definitely continue reading this series. It is well written and I enjoyed it, not much else to say, really. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Although I went into this story wanting to like it it, I was unfortunately disappointed overall. Although there were aspects of the plot that did make me smile - witty lines, a couple of entertaining characters, curiosity about what event Ambrose was trying to prevent - it unfortunately just failed to captivate me on many levels.

Firstly, I have never read another of Kenyon's novels and found myself a little lost while reading. Despite the fact that this novel is supposed to be a prequel to her Dark Hunter series, very little was explained. Many characters appeared and disappeared rapidly with no explanation as to who or what they were and different demonic races were name dropped without telling the reader what they were or what they were capable of.

Characters within the story were very flat and received no development. Although Nick was likable and spoke like a realistic teenager, I did not ever feel like I could empathise with any of the rest. Nekoda was by far the worst offender, set up as the love interest with mysterious motivation but not appearing frequently enough to build up any mystique.

The overall story was also clumsily written, full of expository text and written in a style that made it feel more like a middle grade novel than teen fiction. Action sequences were especially weak, often only being resolved by the appearance of a random ally and never feeling tense or exciting.

All in all I was very disappointed. I do intend to read the next novel at some point to see if the series improved but this isn't one that I'd recommend to someone who is not already fan of the Dark Hunter series ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Sep 6, 2014 |
Nick lives with his single mom, a dancer in New Orleans. He's smart and smart-mouthed, but he's always been the odd kid out, a scholarship student at a prep school. Nick's friends turn on him when he refuses to mug some tourists, and a mysterious man named Kyrian rescues him and offers to give Nick a job; meanwhile, at the school, something seriously messed up is going on when the kids start attacking each other.

The story is a bit more complicated than that, but it unfolds carefully enough that I don't want to spoil the fun. This is basically the teen introduction to Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series, and I probably wouldn't have bothered to try it if a friend hadn't recommended it as good escapist fun when I was feeling particularly stressed out. Nick and some of the other characters are quick with quips and banter and made me laugh. Sometimes I found the writing awkward and a bit grating on the ear when something was particularly ungrammatical, but the truth is its main purpose is to move the story along and the more conversational sound of it keeps you reading fast. Once it got going it was hard to put the book down. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 3, 2014 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was expecting another vampire romance, and got something completely different. Hold on for a ride! Demons, zombies, were-creatures, and a redneck gun/computer shop. It is set in New Orleans, and has its wonderful paranormal elements. You never know what is going to come at Nick next. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
Young Nick Gautier, a high schooler in New Orleans, gets involved in strange goings on among his school mates. Anger and tension rage inside him when bullies take advantage of his short stature and mock the clothes his mother buys for him at the thrift shop. The job she holds to make ends meet adds fuel to the fire, but he’s not as alone as he thinks. Allies crop up, hinting to Nick that he possesses supernatural powers. They’re proven true when his school friends turn into zombies and try to eat people. A dark force is at play in town, and Nick has to decide who’s on his team if he can trust anyone. The safety of his loved ones is at stake. Fantasy turns into reality as he realizes werewolves, shapeshifters, and vampires are real. He just couldn’t see them before. But now with his developing power, it’s as though a veil is lifted from his eyes. He must resist the evil that tempts his soul in order to prevail.

If you like zombies, you’ll love this book. If they’re not your favorite paranormal element, look elsewhere for a lighter read. ( )
  NancyJCohen | Jan 2, 2014 |

At fourteen, Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything about the world around him. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is the stuff of legends. . . until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior who has more fighting skills than Chuck Norris, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity.

Nick quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one: a world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead.

But before he can even learn the rules of this new world, his fellow students are turning into flesh eating zombies. And he's next on the menu.

As if starting high school isn't hard enough. . .now Nick has to hide his new friends from his mom, his chainsaw from the principal, and keep the zombies and the demon Simi from eating his brains, all without getting grounded or suspended. How in the world is he supposed to do that?

Streetwise, tough, and savvy, Nick and his quick sarcasm are the stuff of legend... until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity. With his fellow students turning into flesh-eating zombies, how can he stop them... without getting grounded by his mom?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,318,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible