The God of the Hive by Laurie R. King

The God of the Hive (2010)

by Laurie R. King

Series: Mary Russell (10)

Won through the GoodReads First Reads giveaway program.

I'm not going to give a full review yet, to keep from letting loose any spoilers. Even though I am bursting at the seams. I will do a full write-up as soon as God of the Hive releases though!

I was really, really lucky to win one of the First Reads ARCs of the tenth Russell-Holmes mystery, The God of the Hive. I had just been wondering to myself how I'd ever manage to wait until the end of April to read this book! It just came in the mail a couple days ago, and I am already a little over halfway done. And if the rest of the book lives up to the promise of the first 240 pages, The God of the Hive will be the best of the 10 Mary Russells published to date!

LRK is coming to Boston on the release date...I am dizzy with glee!!! ( )
  mrsmarch | Nov 28, 2018 |
I really wanted to like this book more, but I was a little disappointed. It had been a while since I'd read the previous book, "The Language of Bees", so I didn't remember all the details and thus was a little confused as to what was going on. ( )
  bookhookgeek | Sep 7, 2018 |
A continuation of _The Language of the Bees_ this book sees Mary Russell on the run with Sherlock's grandchild and Holmes on the run with his wounded son who is suspected of having killed his wife. The plot becomes more complicated when Mycroft disappears after being questioned by Inspector Lestrade.
  ritaer | Aug 26, 2018 |
Sequel to "The Language of Bees" which was the first Sherlock/Russell book I read. Really good pace and characters, even the somewhat farfetched Captain Moreton. She brings all the goodies to life, so you care about them and don't mind a few stock baddies to round it off. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
This book picks up where The Language of Bees left off. A religious cult leader named Thomas Brothers attempted to kill Sherlock Holmes's son, Damian, and kidnap the young Damian's daughter, four-year-old Estelle. Brothers didn't succeed though, he just seriously wounded Damien before the melee ended. Holmes sets sail with Damian on a boat, hoping to get him some medical attention, and then get him to a safe place where he can get some rest and recuperate. Russell, meanwhile, takes charge of caring for and protecting Estelle. Chief Inspector Lestrade of, is fed up with Holmes's meddling and deceptions, has issued arrest warrants for Russell and Holmes. Even Mycroft Holmes, a power broker for the British Empire, can't help them, since he's been kidnapped by someone who wants to take away his authority and influence. All roads, in the case, lead to London, as Holmes and Russell communicate with each other via the agony column of the Times, staying one step ahead of the evildoers trying to find them, and Mycroft tries to figure out where he is and why and who kidnapped him.

This book is well written and has a lot of strong characters who are both good and evil. The story moves at a nice pace, as we are introduced to new characters and reconnect with some old characters. The author has done a nice job of bringing Holmes and Russell right into the 20th century, with the idea that one's time is passing by and that you have to change in order to maintain you're position in the world around you. ( )
  FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |

King, Laurie R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Noel, who would have loved Robert Goodman
Two clever London gentlemen. Both wore City suits, both sat in quiet rooms, both thought about luncheon. (prologue)
A child is a burden, after a mile.

The God of the Hive continues the thread King began in The Language of Bees, in which Mary Russell and her famous husband, Sherlock Holmes, face trouble with Scotland Yard and the deadliest of adversaries.

Mary Russell and her husband, Sherlock Holmes, have stirred the wrath of a murderous secret organization bent on infiltrating the government. Now they are separated and on the run, wanted by the police, and pursued across the Continent by a ruthless enemy with limitless resources and powerful connections.

Unstoppable together, Russell and Holmes will have to survive this time apart, maintaining contact only by means of coded messages and cryptic notes. But has the couple made a fatal mistake by separating, making themselves easier targets for the shadowy government agents sent to silence them?

A hermit with a mysterious past and a beautiful young female doctor with a secret, a cruelly scarred flyer and an obsessed man of the cloth: Everyone Russell and Holmes meet could either speed their safe reunion or betray them to their enemies—in the most complex, shocking, and deeply personal case of their career.

Maintaining tenuous contact only by means of coded messages and cryptic notes with her husband, Sherlock Holmes, and with Holmes' young granddaughter in her safekeeping, Russell will have to call on instincts she didn't know she had as the famous husband and wife sleuths are pursued by a killer immune from the sting of justice.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laurie R. King's book God of the Hive was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,109,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible