Monster Museum by Marilyn Singer

Monster Museum

by Marilyn Singer

Other authors: Gris Grimly (Illustrator)

This is a wonderful collection of poems. The reader enters a monster museum, and is led to each monster exhibit. this consists of a poem dedicated to the monster in question, and some fabulous art work to show the monster in it's full gory, er, glory! ( )
  BrindelStubbs | Jun 12, 2017 |
A group of children take a trip to the monster museum and their spooky guide introduces them to all kinds of monsters with entertaining rhyming poetry. I enjoyed reading this book aloud and had several favorite poems, Frankenstein's Monster and Medusa. Each poem had their own rhyming scheme and every so often the form changes, great way to introduce children to a variety of poetry. Also included in the back of the book is a really cool glossary full of all the monsters that made an appearance in the book with a brief history of where they originated, their abilities and weaknesses. ( )
  maturne2 | Nov 2, 2016 |
46 months - Well written rhymes and great drawings. O loves this book and she's had us read it every night since it came home from the library. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Monster Museum was a book compiled of various poems about different monsters that one would find at the monster museum. The one particular poem I liked in this book was Frankenstein's Monster. This poem talked about how Frankenstein is very frustrated that no one will give him a name of his own. I liked this poem (and this book of poems) for two reasons. The first reason I liked it was because it used a rhyme scheme. This poem used the rhyme scheme of AAB CCB DDB EEB FFB GGB. Using a rhyme scheme in poetry helps create a rhythm within the poem. For example, reading the following lines with a rhyme scheme helped me to read at a certain pace, and to catch the rhythm of the poem.
"They gave me some bolts,
They gave me some jolts.
They gave me a great deal of fame.

They gave me a bride,
And even some pride.
But they never did give me a name."
The second reason I liked this book was because it had an introduction to the poems in the beginning of the book, and and ending at the end. The introduction poem was titled "Monster Museum". Having an introduction allowed me as the reader to prepare for what was coming next. "So, come along, children, and let's start the tour!" At the end of the book, it sort of sums up what all the poems were about-monsters at the monster museum, and thanks the reader. "Bid farewell, brave souls, to the Monster Museum!" I believe the big idea of this book of poems is Halloween, and to not be afraid because these creatures are not looking to harm. ( )
  JeNeeH | Apr 14, 2015 |
Twenty-two poems take young readers on a tour of the 'Monster Museum' in this picture-book that is much enhanced by the suitably creepy illustrations of Gris Grimly. From the one and only Count Dracula - the Transylvanian monster with the most class - to the shrieking banshee - an Irish ghost with an unmistakably piercing wail - the fierce and fearsome, the ghastly and ghoulish, are profiled in Singer's brief poems, and deliciously depicted in Grimly's distinctive artwork. The result is a poetic collection that makes for spooky Halloween reading!

Although I enjoyed Monster Museum, I have to concur with the friend who recommended it to me, in finding Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich a far superior collection, when it comes to this sort of monstrous poetry. Unlike Rex's stellar collection, some of the rhymes here felt distinctly forced, and others left me cold altogether. I think I would have been significantly less charmed, were it not for the Grimly illustrations. I checked this one out of the library this past weekend, together with a follow up collaboration by Singer and Grimly, Creature Carnival, and now I'm debating whether I'll read that second title... That said, I do recommend this one, as I think it's an entertaining read for the Halloween season, and provides more than a few fun visuals, but I think readers should make an effort to track down the Adam Rex collection as well. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 13, 2013 |

Marilyn Singerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grimly, GrisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 078680520X, Hardcover)

Enter, if you dare, the Monster Museum, whose halls are crowded with the likes of Count Dracula, Bigfoot, poltergeists, Medusa, mummies, zombies, werewolves, and The Blob. Nine gawking children, dressed in itchy-looking green tweed school uniforms, are led through the spider-strewn museum by a sinister, leering docent, who introduces each ghastly monster in verse:
Alas, King Kong, he sealed his fate
When he climbed up the Empire State
Oh, why'd he try this great escape?
'Cause they called him a monkey
And he was an ape!
While Marilyn Singer's rhymes are often forced, the humor and subtle edification compensates. (One myth debunked: Frankenstein is the name of the scientist, not the creature himself, who whines "No wonder I'm cranky-- / Stop calling me Frankie! / Won't somebody give me a name!"). Gris Grimly's weird illustrations are appropriately creepy--even the regular human beings (who systematically disappear throughout the tour) sport some grotesque body parts, including giant, gnarled hands. (Ages 4 to 7) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:35 -0400)

Come in, if you dare, and meet the mummy, the werewolf, Count Dracula, and some of their slimy, screaming, slithery friends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,141,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible