An Artificial Night (October Daye, Book 3)…

An Artificial Night (October Daye, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Seanan McGuire

560None17,738 (4.1)24
Member:SharpSarcasm
Title:An Artificial Night (October Daye, Book 3)
Authors:Seanan McGuire
Info:DAW (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire

CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Very definitely the book where this series became worth reading to me. I might even suggest that people new to the series skip straight to it.

Toby is a somewhat shopworn changeling knight, stubbornly making a living as a private PI for the faerie and human worlds alike. But when one of her oldest friends' children is kidnapped by one of Faerie's oldest - and most powerful - bogeymen, she has to find new depths to herself to defeat him.

And the new depths is really one of the two things that made this book so utterly awesome to me. I had honestly started to dislike Toby from the first two books for being too stupid to live and having the self-preservation instincts of your average goth lemming writing bad poetry about the loveliness of cliffs. In this book, Toby still makes that goth lemming look like a sparkling princess of well-adjustedness, but at least it's acknowledged, addressed, and shown to exasperate the people around her as much as it does me. I will deal with a hell of a lot of stupidity when it's acknowledged as such in universe, and I have some hopes of the character growing a little past it.

The other thing that made it awesome? I just really like stories about stories. ( )
  trouthe | Sep 23, 2013 |
The Hunt is riding again. His hunt rides forth every 100 years and before it does it gathers new riders and steeds into the fold. But the source for these new recruits are children – fae children to ride, mortal children for horses and the nights before Samhain Michael recruits new steeds and riders from their homes.

And in comes October Daye. Her best friends have lost their children, the Court of Cats have lost children and her friend Quentin has lost his girlfriend to the Hunt and October, as a hero, isn’t going to let that happen. Even if her Fetch has arrived, predicting her imminent demise.

With the help of Luna, the Duchess of the Shadowed Halls and the ancient fae, the Luidaeg, she has to enter the lands of the hunt and retrieve the children. But she is entering a new world with this quest, playing by the rules of children’s games and songs, fighting with rhymes and half remembered rules of fairness in a world that isn’t bound to reality.

And, of course, even if you manage to save people from the Huntsman, how do you stop him turning his eyes upon you?

I think in this book we had the most powerful feeling of what it means to be fae –not just in the series but perhaps in Urban Fantasy in general. The surreal, malleable world, the shifting reality and the low grade3, unnerving terror was powerful. But more so was the simple use of children’s stories, of fairness and of arcane rules to the games. It added to the surreality and the alienness of the world, even told through the familiarity of children’s rhymes. In a way it adds to the terror of it – because these aren’t creatures that follow the rules and mores of adult society – not even of adult thinking – they are literally creatures of nightmares and as alien and incomprehensible as those nightmares.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
Brilliant new author, keeps getting better. I'm eagerly awaiting the next book. A well done take on Faerie, with enough of the weird in the best way. ( )
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Exceedingly better than the previous one, like bitter and sweet. Toby is actually a real hero in this one. At the end of the last book, Sykvester wasn't happy and Toby had really let him down but there's no mention of that here. I wish that the author had carried that over to this book so Toby could redeem herself but it all worked out. I was worried that all the action would take place in the fae lands which isn't as interesting to me (it's almost cheating when you don't have to worry about the laws of physics) but there was plenty of modern world as well.

Small things:
~ her obsession with house cats is getting annoying but at least now there're are some dog like monsters that may make cameos. I like the rose goblin but he is really too cutesy for being features in the whole story.
~ her track record hasnt been so great recently so why does everyone trust her so easily?
~ why would parents let her take one of their kids who's sick when they already have two missing? One of the parents would at least try to insist on going with her and they certainly would watch as she left
~ what the hell is going in with Tybalt? Is he bipolar or something? He's been so unexplainably hot and cold the last few books. Oh, and yes, I know that unexplainably isn't really a word but the author used it on page 14 so I figure I can use it in a review.
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

October "Toby" Daye tries to rescue the mortal and fae children who have been kidnapped by Blind Michael, lord of the Wild Hunt, forcing her to make a choice that could save them all or cause her to fall prey to the Wild Hunt.

102 wanted1 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible