An Artificial Night (October Daye, Book 3)…

An Artificial Night (October Daye, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Seanan McGuire

Member:SharpSarcasm
Title:An Artificial Night (October Daye, Book 3)
Authors:Seanan McGuire
Info:DAW (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire

I picked this book up immediately after finishing the second in the series and, oh man, it did not disappoint. This book presents an old school Brothers Grimm style blood-curdling, toes-curling fairy tale, peppered with characters we’ve already come to know and love.

Blind Michael is scary. What he does to the children is really scary. Everything about Blind Michael and his twisted land scared the crap out of me, and I don’t scare easily. It was exactly the sort of scare I used to seek out as a child from the original Grimm Fairy Tales (the ones that are not cleaned up). This book goes a lot darker than the first two, which were already dark, and it went there in such a different way from the first two plots. The first two plots were entirely about murder, here we have someone stealing children from their beds. It’s a completely different type of scare and different sort of mystery for Toby to have to figure out.

The plot tells more than just this one mystery, though, it also brings out some information that is key to the overarching plot of the series. I really enjoyed how smoothly this was worked together, and I also must say I didn’t predict at all where it was going.

There are basically two themes in the book, one I appreciated and the other I didn’t particularly agree with. Let’s start with the one I didn’t agree with.

There’s a theme in the book that children on some level must deal with and be held responsible for the choices of their parents. Toby tries to pretend otherwise, but that doesn’t work out so well for her. It basically reads as the idea that you can’t run away from your family or from your blood, your nature. Personally, I don’t like that frame of thought. You can leave your family of birth and not have to be held responsible for them. You are not your parents. You are your own person. You are not responsible for what your parents do after you leave home. So this theme didn’t sit well with me. Other readers who agree with this theme will obviously enjoy it more.

The other theme was one I was quite happy to see so directly addressed in an urban fantasy and that is of suicidal ideation. There are many different ways that suicidal ideation can manifest, but with Toby her symptoms are that she firmly believes her death is imminent and is planning for it, and she repeatedly throws herself into risk situations because she doesn’t care if she dies. Suicidal ideation essentially means that a person is lacking self-preservation instincts and is ok with dying. They won’t actually commit suicide but they will put themselves into dangerous situations because part of them does want to die. So they might run across a street without looking, go walking alone at 2am in a dangerous neighborhood, etc… Toby’s depression from the first two books has grown so much that she is now at this point, and people have started calling her out on it. Seeing her realize that she’s, in layman’s terms, got a death wish, is interesting and well-done. What I appreciate most about it is how directly it is addressed.

Overall, this entry in the series brings back the characters readers have come to love and puts them into a new mystery much more terrifying than the first two. Two strong themes in the book include nature/nurture/ties to parents and dealing with suicidal ideation. Fans of the series won’t be disappointed. This is a roller coaster ride of emotions and peril.

Check out my full review, featuring quotes! ( )
  gaialover | May 5, 2015 |
Fun read, unbelievable that she survived. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 5, 2015 |
This novel is an absolutely pristine example of everything I love about Urban Fantasy. Character development, rebellion against patriarchal institutions, herosim (from the heroine, of course), love, family, the balance of nurture and career in the heroine, agency, teamwork, and the heroine overcoming all odds to face down her fears and save herself (penetrative death act!!)

Interestingly, this novel deals with the theme of growing up, maturing, accepting responsibility, and learning to live in one's own skin with the adult choices one is forced by circumstance to make.

Beautiful. THIS is what urban fantasy is about. Since I'm clear to write my thesis on the stuff, this series just worked its way to the top few that I would like to include. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |

raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
Very definitely the book where this series became worth reading to me. I might even suggest that people new to the series skip straight to it.

Toby is a somewhat shopworn changeling knight, stubbornly making a living as a private PI for the faerie and human worlds alike. But when one of her oldest friends' children is kidnapped by one of Faerie's oldest - and most powerful - bogeymen, she has to find new depths to herself to defeat him.

And the new depths is really one of the two things that made this book so utterly awesome to me. I had honestly started to dislike Toby from the first two books for being too stupid to live and having the self-preservation instincts of your average goth lemming writing bad poetry about the loveliness of cliffs. In this book, Toby still makes that goth lemming look like a sparkling princess of well-adjustedness, but at least it's acknowledged, addressed, and shown to exasperate the people around her as much as it does me. I will deal with a hell of a lot of stupidity when it's acknowledged as such in universe, and I have some hopes of the character growing a little past it.

The other thing that made it awesome? I just really like stories about stories. ( )
  trouthe | Sep 23, 2013 |

October "Toby" Daye tries to rescue the mortal and fae children who have been kidnapped by Blind Michael, lord of the Wild Hunt, forcing her to make a choice that could save them all or cause her to fall prey to the Wild Hunt.

76 wanted1 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,909,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible