Last Words: A Memoir by George Carlin

Last Words: A Memoir (2009)

by George Carlin

Other authors: Tony Hendra

Recently added byaimeereadstn, private library, pirogoeth, jkjt, ricproctor, Alexeios, bookboy66, br77rino, Tklcw

Funny and candid, quite a bit will be familiar (as in verbatim) to his fans. The Carlin whose comedy matured over the years from juvenile to hard-hitting social commentary wrapped in humor turns the crosshairs on his own work (the middle years), his own life and failures, but rightfully takes credit for his successes. Great (next to) Last Words from the master - I read part of Sally Wade's book in a bookstore last year and wished I had bought it then. I very much enjoyed reading some of those last words and look forward to when I can read them all. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I miss George ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
I miss George ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
Memoir of the greatest stand up ever.Very funny and entertaining and sometimes simply wise book about the life and adventures of George Carlin. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Dec 15, 2014 |
George Carlin was the greatest, not only at using words, but at telling us what we miss when we look right at the elephant standing in plain sight. This 'sortabiography' was culled together from 15 years of tapes and notes of Tony Hendra's, so going into it, the writing is a little stilted. In a large part of the the book, there is fluidity and great history—George's parents, birth, growing up, education, street education!, going into comedy, family, drugs, people, TV, movies, touring, books, and words. George goes deep, speaking about how his brain works and how his career rose, fell, and then hit the summit. Nothing is left out, pouring over the details of a typical, dysfunctional family, his role as a husband and father, and the death of his first wife. His whole life is left splayed open in the book, with plenty of words.

Unfortunately, the book was not written all in one go. There are great details about his early life, up through the '70s, then the voice was lost. The storytelling becomes a little choppy, and the details drop off as the years go by, either by George's own volition, or loss of thought. And to better get through the book, George's speech style should really be adopted—this enhances the reading ten-fold! And visually, the arms and jaw are flailing!

The greatest comedian of our time left too soon, but he did leave some of his best thoughts and the meaning behind his words. ( )
  jimcripps | May 2, 2013 |

George Carlinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hendra, Tonysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carlin, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Gee, he was here a moment ago..."
--(What George wanted on his tombstone--if he'd had one.)
Sliding headfirst down a vagina with no clothes on and landing in the freshly shaven crotch of a screaming woman did not seem to be part of God's plan for me.
I have this real moron thing I do? It's called thinking.

An autobiography that the late comedian nearly completed before he died chronicles his storied career, during which he pushed the boundaries of comedy and language and influenced several generations of performers.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible