Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley
4202625,247 (3.76)6
    Walk on the Wild Side by Christine Warren (AngelLocke)
    Tempting the Beast by Lora Leigh (tmommy4)
    tmommy4: Honestly, if you like this you will like any of the Breed series.
    Moon Awakening by Lucy Monroe (deep220)
    The Man Within by Lora Leigh (tmommy4)

I was really not in the mood for this book. Either that or this book was bad. I'll go with I wasn't in the mood.
I can understand why people like it though. It has an original and realistic idea on how people would actually act if shifters existed. I just wasn't in the mood and the heroine wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention. I'll probably try the second book. Shifters and all that. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
I thought this was going to be awesome, but it wasn't. it had its moments, but the characters didn't have depth, the plot was simple and predictable. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
Pride Mates
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Scorned and feared, shifters are believed to be animals in human form and are kept on the fringes of society. Assigned to defend a shifter on murder charges, up and coming defense lawyer, Kim Fraser, is in over her head and seeks the help of shifter leader, Liam Morrissey. Liam’s charm and wit cannot conceal the undercurrents of power that characterize him and Kim will need his strength and protection both to unravel the mystery and for her very survival.

Review:
An interesting take on the Shapeshifter premise. This is the first book I’ve read in which the shifters’ animal traits overshadow their human ones and it is an intriguing perspective.

The conflicts and prejudices that characterize humans/shifter interaction and the social rules, hierarchies and norms of the shifter community are exceedingly detailed and add credence to the world established in the book. The manner in which Ashley presents the discrimination against the shifters and the problematic ethics of the collar is particularly thought provoking.

The characters are wonderful and the romance sizzles. Kim's honesty, courage and stubbornness make her particularly engaging and Liam can charm the pants off anyone. However, there are a few things that bothered me. First, Liam and Kim have an immediate attraction and there is very little development of their relationship before they are mated. Second, Kim does not seem to fully grasp the significance of events going on around her, and lastly, the constant physical contact between all of the characters, not only the primary couple, takes some getting used to.

The supporting characters are also appealing, especially Liam’s tortured brother, his emotionally distant father, and my personal favorite, his boisterous nephew, Connor. One character who did not live up to his initial characterization is the villain. While he is a nasty piece of work, he does not evoke anything more than mild distaste and never becomes the uber-villain that would contribute to the tension and suspense of the final confrontation.

The story is the weak point in the book. It would have been better if more effort has been put into the murder mystery and Kim’s investigation, especially since it turns out to be a pivotal aspect of the plot – I won’t say anymore so as not to ruin it.

Overall, this is an entertaining book and I look forward to reading the next installment. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Really enjoyed it! I could hardly put it down. I love all the shifters. It think that Jennifer Ashley has created one of the most interesting shifter worlds that I have read. I'm excited for the next one. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Read for Fun (Library Book)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.00

First Thought when Finished: Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley was a fantastic introduction into a world I can't wait to delve into more. I am so glad that my library has these books. I am already starting book 2 and put a hold on the rest of the series. #LIBRARYSCORE

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Jan 8, 2015 |
A girl walks into a bar...

Collared and controlled, Shifters are outcast from humanity, forced to live in Shiftertowns. But waiting within are passions that no collar can contain...

Like most Shifters, Liam Morrissey has learned that trusting humans leads to no good. But when beautiful attorney Kim Fraser enters Shiftertown alone in order to prove her client's innocence, Liam's alpha nature leaves him no choice but to offer his protection.
Review

“Mysterious, heartfelt, sensitive and sensual...two big thumbs up.” —Barbara Vey, Publishers Weekly on The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie

“This sizzling new supernatural series begins with a bang. Ashley does a stellar job setting up the paranormal premise and delivering a blazing-hot love story.” —Romantic Times BookReviews on Immortals:The Calling

“Romance at its best.” —Romance Reviews Today

“Jennifer Ashley continues to deliver those to-die-for heroes while weaving a tale that you can’t put down.” —The Best Reviews

When Kim Fraser enters the lair of shifter Liam Morrissey to get answers for a client accused of murder, she is unable to resist her attraction to him, and discovers he is the only one who can save her from a feral shifter stalking her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,368,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible