Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley

Pride Mates

by Jennifer Ashley

Series: Shifters Unbound (1)

When Kim Fraser enters the lair of shifter Liam Morrissey to get answers for a client accused of murder, she is unable to resist her attraction to him, and discovers that he is the only one who can save her from a feral shifter.
Recently added byPurrmaid, rena75, chrissybowring, private library, Carlie1005, miloh86, blucatgirl
    Walk on the Wild Side by Christine Warren (AngelLocke)
    Tempting the Beast by Lora Leigh (tmommy4)
    tmommy4: Honestly, if you like this you will like any of the Breed series.
    Moon Awakening by Lucy Monroe (deep220)
    The Man Within by Lora Leigh (tmommy4)

i loved it. Even though Liam was a thickhead, he finally came through victorious. i so can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  RobinCripps | Jul 12, 2019 |
Shifters were created by the Fae, wildcats, lupine and bears. They are collared, segregated from humans and our treated as less than human with unequal rights. Kim reaches out Liam when she tries to save her client who is accused of murder. She doesn't understand the shifters, their culture and ways are so much different than she's used to, lots of touching and hugging and hierarchy etc. Within a day Liam ends up claiming her as his mate to protect her and because he wants her. I hate seeing the unjustness and poor treatment of the shifters and love that Kim wants to champion them and their rights not only with humans but within the clan.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I have been putting off reading this book, and really I don't know why. I love anything Shifter related and this was no exception.
I was really hooked by the first line of the book " A girl walks into a bar... No. A human girl walks into a Shifter Bar..."
Kim is a lawyer that was given the case of a Shifter accused of killing a human girl he was dating. She goes into Shiftertown, which is what they call where all collared shifters live. She is determined that Brian, the shifter in question is innocent and is out to find as much information as she can to prove that. She meets with Liam, whom she has an instant attraction to. Liam and his brother Sean, take Kim to see Sandra; Brian's mother. Kim gets the feeling that Brian's mother is content to let Brian go down for this crime, whether or not he did commit it.
You can tell from the get go that Liam is in lust with Kim and while Kim feels it, she is afraid of what it really means for her, Shifters and humans do not mix without there being backlash on one or both ends. Human women who take up with shifters are labeled as Shifter-Whores. Kim is drawn into the shifter world and begins to fall in love with Liam and vice versa.
The story is an amazing one, and the reasoning behind the Shifters being collared is silly, but it works wonderfully in this book. The last few chapters had me mad as all get out, and then I was jumping for joy with the rest of the characters in the end. I can't wait to read the next book in the series and find out more about the Shifters.
The character development was well written and while I was anxious to know everything, most things were explained easily and clearly. I fell in love with Liam, Kim, Conner and Sean. Dylan wasn't my favorite character till late on in the book, but I grew to love him too. ( )
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
Pride Mates
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Scorned and feared, shifters are believed to be animals in human form and are kept on the fringes of society. Assigned to defend a shifter on murder charges, up and coming defense lawyer, Kim Fraser, is in over her head and seeks the help of shifter leader, Liam Morrissey. Liam’s charm and wit cannot conceal the undercurrents of power that characterize him and Kim will need his strength and protection both to unravel the mystery and for her very survival.

Review:
An interesting take on the Shapeshifter premise. This is the first book I’ve read in which the shifters’ animal traits overshadow their human ones and it is an intriguing perspective.

The conflicts and prejudices that characterize humans/shifter interaction and the social rules, hierarchies and norms of the shifter community are exceedingly detailed and add credence to the world established in the book. The manner in which Ashley presents the discrimination against the shifters and the problematic ethics of the collar is particularly thought provoking.

The characters are wonderful and the romance sizzles. Kim's honesty, courage and stubbornness make her particularly engaging and Liam can charm the pants off anyone. However, there are a few things that bothered me. First, Liam and Kim have an immediate attraction and there is very little development of their relationship before they are mated. Second, Kim does not seem to fully grasp the significance of events going on around her, and lastly, the constant physical contact between all of the characters, not only the primary couple, takes some getting used to.

The supporting characters are also appealing, especially Liam’s tortured brother, his emotionally distant father, and my personal favorite, his boisterous nephew, Connor. One character who did not live up to his initial characterization is the villain. While he is a nasty piece of work, he does not evoke anything more than mild distaste and never becomes the uber-villain that would contribute to the tension and suspense of the final confrontation.

The story is the weak point in the book. It would have been better if more effort has been put into the murder mystery and Kim’s investigation, especially since it turns out to be a pivotal aspect of the plot – I won’t say anymore so as not to ruin it.

Overall, this is an entertaining book and I look forward to reading the next installment. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I thought this was going to be awesome, but it wasn't. it had its moments, but the characters didn't have depth, the plot was simple and predictable. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |

Ashley, JenniferAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Odom, TraciNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A girl walks into a bar...

Collared and controlled, Shifters are outcast from humanity, forced to live in Shiftertowns. But waiting within are passions that no collar can contain...

Like most Shifters, Liam Morrissey has learned that trusting humans leads to no good. But when beautiful attorney Kim Fraser enters Shiftertown alone in order to prove her client's innocence, Liam's alpha nature leaves him no choice but to offer his protection.
Review

“Mysterious, heartfelt, sensitive and sensual...two big thumbs up.” —Barbara Vey, Publishers Weekly on The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie

“This sizzling new supernatural series begins with a bang. Ashley does a stellar job setting up the paranormal premise and delivering a blazing-hot love story.” —Romantic Times BookReviews on Immortals:The Calling

“Romance at its best.” —Romance Reviews Today

“Jennifer Ashley continues to deliver those to-die-for heroes while weaving a tale that you can’t put down.” —The Best Reviews

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,150,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible