No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Reckoners by Doranna Durgin

Just a wonderful book. Durgin always delivers the best, but this is a brilliant return to the more textured stories of her earlier work while keeping herself solidly in the romance friendly world of her recent categories.

Don't get me wrong, I love categories, but it's nice when there is a little more room to stretch.

I particularly liked the way in which the slow reveal of the hero's story is part of what was recently described elsewhere as the "protocols of reading sf and fantasy." Handling the presence of someone who is "not from here" in a believable way is a harder trick than you might think. Striking just the right note of "otherness" was pulled off perfectly.

In a completely separate note, the "not-cat" (not really a spoiler since it's in the cover blurb) is a fully realized character as well, with motivations and conflicts.

And of course and excellent heroine and secondary characters, but that goes without saying.

Oh, and I gather that there may be sequels, if all goes well - so I'm promoting this a lot because I *want* them. ( )
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
I really *wanted* to like this book... I mean, shape-changing cats, ghost hunters, and the famous Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, Ca--it should be fascinating, right?

Unfortunately, I was wrong. The Reckoners has oddly flat prose and almost reads like a first-time, self-published book...which is really strange, considering the author has apparently published several other books and won some awards. I also kept feeling like I was reading the 3rd or 4th book in a series and the author was assuming I already knew about a number of plot points, therefore having no need to extrapolate on what was happening. This problem lead to cardboard thin characters and the most boring ghost story I think I've ever come across. And don't get me started on the romantic aspects, which were clumsy at best, as the characters were written with absolutely no chemistry to speak-of.

I put this book down for a day-or-two several times, in an attempt to come at it with a different attitude (or find something nice to say), but it just didn't happen.

Unless you are a fan of her previous writing or can find The Reckoners at a library, I'd say save your money and buy something else.

ElizabethConard | Apr 5, 2013 |
Reviewed by http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blogspot.com/

I found the dialogue hard to follow, I would have to go back and read over a passage I just read to try and figure out who was talking and what they were talking about. Also the POV were really jumpy and made me wonder if I missed a page in between. Its classified as a Paranormal Romance but truthfully there isn't much of a romance. Lisa (Garrie) and Trevarr are hot for each other sure but all they really share is a steamy kiss a few times in the whole book. I liked the story, the characters were like-able and there was some great action, but the execution of everything was rough around the edges. The author left a lot of things I felt I needed to know out, Maybe it will be in STORM OF RECKONING? My overall opinion? I would MAYBE borrow it from the library ,but would not purchase myself a copy. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Jan 31, 2011 |
The book has several problems that weigh down the story. .. That said, the characters are quirky and appealing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible