His at Night by Sherry Thomas

His at Night

by Sherry Thomas

2821939,987 (3.88)4

English (18)  All (1)  All (19)

Y bue, uno al menos me tenía que gustar.

Muy bueno, muy entretenido y original.

Lo mejor: Lord Vere.

Reseña a completar ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This is the first romance I've read in a few months, and the first with a Victorian setting that I've read in ages. When a character in a Regency era historical seems too modern, it throws me off, but here in the Victorian era it seemed much more natural.

The plot in this book revolved around the various characters' lies and cover-ups. It was well-paced, and high tension by my standards (which aren't very high-tension) and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I don't think it's going to be a classic. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
I realized some interesting facts after listening to this title as an audiobook.

1st: I have no memory of having read this story 5 years ago... none.
2nd: Life can be so overwhelming that a functioning person can operate on remote without knowing they are.
3rd: Regardless of outside influences, I am consistent in my emotional response to a storyline; which comprises the majority of the rating I give a book.
4th: Ms. Thomas' earlier books published with Bantam Publishing are seamless and well-written. They were not cranked out nor limited to 304 pages (+/- zero).

When I came upon this title made available through the PLCHC's Hoopla account, I was excited the Author had a new title out. It sounded interesting and it was immediately available to listen to.

As the story progressed, it seemed Ms. Thomas had either returned to her original publisher/editor or stood up to her current publisher and demanded more time... a better editor... ? I know not what happened, but heartened that it had!

Logging onto LT today showed that I not only owned this book (okay, that's embarrassing), but had read and rated it! FIVE STARS! The SAME rating I was to give this title today!

Checking the publishing dates showed the book was published in 2010 and the audiobook was recorded in 2014. This was starting to make sense. As I've noted in the reviews of Ms. Thomas' recent books, there is a noticeable difference in her stories published with Berkley versus Bantam (her first publisher). Unfortunately, not a positive one. While her current books aren't drastically worse (average 4 stars vs. 5 stars), I detect the fervor over her literary offerings has become a thing of the past, as has happened to other gifted authors when met with early success.

I am gratified to know my emotional side has a consistency of its own, but saddened to realize that Ms. Thomas had not u-turned back to her publishing origins.

Five stars to Ms. Thomas.
Five stars to the reader Kate Reading.
  Conkie | Mar 5, 2015 |
I've been reading Ms Thomas' books out of chronological order, and [b:His at Night|6903194|His at Night|Sherry Thomas|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320458803s/6903194.jpg|7126917] is my fifth. Sadly it's also the first I didn't enjoy. The characters were unsympathetic, the plot contrived, and the narrative marred by technical flaws that I didn't expect from a writer of Ms Thomas' calibre.

Judging from the stellar ratings and the prestigious awards this book has garnered, mine is a minority opinion.

The pieces of this novel didn't fit together. Neither did the two leading characters.

Held prisoner by a sadistic uncle, Ellisande sees her last chance of escape roll up to her door in the form of a party of cheerful aristocrats fleeing a rodent infestation in their neighbouring country house. Staring from her window, Ellisande decides that the more handsome and muscular of two gentlemen in a carriage will do very nicely as the pass out of her prison. Over dinner she discovers that her rescuing Adonis is a clumsy, bumbling oaf and promptly decides that his younger brother will do as a replacement. Not very romantic, even allowing for her dreadful plight.

She plans to compromise herself and force younger brother Freddie into marriage by luring him to a midnight assignation, stripping herself naked, then letting the ton's worst gossip witness the scene and draw her own conclusions. Unfortunately it's not Freddie but Lord Vere ("Penny"), the moronic elder brother, who shows up for the assignation. Panic results, bodies and furniture tumble, arch-gossip Lady Avery shows up exactly on time, as do most of the guests in the house. The use of Lady Avery as a one-scene throwaway character and the Keystone-Cop chaos is reminiscent of classical farce and, again, not very romantic.

Having tricked a most unhappy Penny into marriage, Ellisande is desperate to consummate the match as soon as possible so that her uncle will lose the only cause for annulment. Penny being extremely uncooperative, a drunken Ellisande has to throw herself at him. He eventually responds with an angry and perfunctory coupling. The pain of Ellisande's defloration is, for a historical romance, refreshingly realistic but, yet again, not very romantic.

Ms Thomas' tries to draw the two leading characters together by providing them with matching and complementary traumatic backgrounds and similar 'safe' mental spaces to which both retire when the demons and nightmares become too much. However, right to the end of the book there is none of the simple sexual chemistry that blossoms between Freddie and his childhood sweetheart Angelica. Angelica's ruse of persuading Freddie to paint her nude is one of the oldest tropes around. It works, but lacks originality.

The serious technical flaws relate, for the most part, to the side-story of Ellisande's uncle. The origins and motivation behind the evil uncle's relationship to Ellisande's aunt—a key factor in the entire novel—are revealed in a few sentences of dialogue, then swept aside. I had to go back and re-read this section twice before it began to make even a little sense. The uncle's miraculous escape and unexpected death are, likewise, brushed aside with just a few words of completely implausible explanation.

I note that there are still two or three of Ms Thomas' books I haven't read, but I think I'll put them off for a while. I've a pile of unread books by two other of my favourite authors ([a:Kate Ross|201535|Kate Ross|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1239630632p2/201535.jpg] and [a:Meredith Duran|1330133|Meredith Duran|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1211894121p2/1330133.jpg]), and it's probably better if I return to Ms Thomas' work after I've forgotten my disappointment with [b:His at Night|6903194|His at Night|Sherry Thomas|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320458803s/6903194.jpg|7126917]. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
“Forced into a marriage of convenience, Elissande and Vere are each about to discover that they’re not the only one with a hidden agenda. With seduction their only weapon – and a dark secret from the past endangering both their lives – can they learn to trust each other even as they surrender to a passion that won’t be denied?”

The Marquess of Vere, to most people, is a man that should not be taken too seriously. It’s common knowledge that Lord Vere was a brilliant man in his younger years. A riding accident that occurred while Vere was in the prime of his life left him addled in the head. Vere was never quite the same. Most people perceive him to be an idiot but what most people do not know is that Lord Vere prefers it that way. Lord Vere works for the Crown and is a spy. The guise of the idiot allows him to learn vital information without raising suspicions. His latest case is against Edmund Douglas, a man who earned his wealth from a diamond mine in South Africa. Douglas is now suspected of extorting the diamond jewelers of Antwerp.

Elissande Edgerton has been kept under lock and key in her uncle’s home for the past eight years. Her Aunt Rachel is her only solace. Most would see Aunt Rachel as a burden as she is unable to care for herself and is addicted to laudanum. Elissande dreams of the day when she and Aunt Rachel will escape the evil clutches of her Uncle Edmund. Uncle Edmund demands that he be shown the love and respect that are due him and so Elissande plays the part of the doting niece to survive.

Vere and his associates plan a rat infestation in a home near Douglas’ hoping to be allowed to stay at Douglas’ home and gather incriminating evidence against their host. The infestation occurs during one of Douglas’ business trips and Elissande sees an opportunity to escape. Elissande allows the party to stay in hopes of catching a husband and escaping Uncle Edmund forever. Elissande ends up with more than she bargained for when she starts her entrapment.

For starters, she sets her sights on Lord Vere. His title and wealth could protect her from her uncle. After their first discussion together, Elissande decides that she must settle for Lord Vere’s younger brother Freddie. Thankfully, she does have an infatuation with Freddie so even though he isn’t titled she can still have a good relationship with him. She asks Freddie to meet with her in the library long after every one has gone to bed in the hopes of setting up her trap. In the end, she ends up entrapping Lord Vere.

What follows is a wonderful love story about two people who don’t know anything about the other except the masks that they wear. Along the way, they learn each other’s hopes, fears and secrets.

This is my first book by Sherry Thomas but it certainly won’t be my last. Thomas brilliantly brings together two people who are so alike and yet neither one knows it. Both Vere and Elissande wear masks and no one gets to see what is behind them. Watching these two grow and learn about each other is a treat. Edmund Douglas, Thomas’ villain is evil and gives you chills but he isn’t larger than life. There could be an Edmund Douglas in your own city and that in my opinion is what makes him all the more terrifying. If you consider yourself a fan of historical romance I strongly suggest that you do not pass this novel by. ( )
  Once-Upon-a-Chapter | Nov 10, 2014 |

Sherry Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reading, KateReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Afonso, Maria João da RochaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my dear friend Janine Ballard,
who is my story guide, my common sense,
and the wind beneath my wings.
May 15, 2003, has been and will always be
one of the luckiest days of my life.
The Marquess of Vere was a man of few words.

Love is hottest in the darkness before dawn.

Elissande Edgerton is a desperate woman, a virtual prisoner in the home of her tyrannical uncle. Only through marriage can she claim the freedom she craves. But how to catch the perfect man?

Lord Vere is used to baiting irresistible traps. As a secret agent for the government, he's tracked down some of the most devious criminals in London, all the while maintaining his cover as one of Society's most harmless -- and idiotic -- bachelors. But nothing can prepare him for the scandal of being ensnared by Elissande.

Forced into a marriage of convenience, Elissande and Vere are each about to discover that they're not the only one with a hidden agenda. With seduction their only weapon -- and a dark secret from the past endangering both their lives -- can they learn to trust each other even as they surrender to a passion that won't be denied?

Lord Vere is used to baiting irresistible traps. As a secret agent for the government, he's tracked down some of the most devious criminals in London, all the while maintaining his cover as one of Society's most harmless--and idiotic--bachelors. But nothing can prepare him for the scandal of being ensnared by Elissande and forced into a marriage of convenience awash with seduction and dark secrets. Set in Victorian England.… (more)

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible