QBQ! The Question Behind the Question:…

by John G. Miller

461922,528 (3.51)None
Member:gopfolk
Title:QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life
Authors:John G. Miller
Info:Putnam Publishing Group (2004), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 160 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Non-fiction, Business

QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life by John G. Miller

How can I make things better? Not why? or when? or who? !!!!! ( )
  mdubois | Jun 16, 2014 |
I was given this book as a part of a Dave Ramsey seminar. A short and easy read, the book is full of great ideas and self awareness thoughts. Made me re-think how I addressed problems both in my work and personal life. Just finished refreshing myself with the concept again I would highly recommend this book. ( )
  Bob_Vogler | Nov 25, 2013 |
Culture of my new department
This is like most corporate books – a very quick read. Even at 140 pages you definitely can read it over your lunch hour.
The concept is pretty simple and I have to admit had I read this prior to leaving my last role I might still be there…glad this book waited until I was here. My biggest take away was that you cannot change those others so ask the questions that will help you to determine what you can do to help yourself. ( )
  gopfolk | Dec 20, 2012 |
I like to collect books I've read as a sort of "badge of honor". But, they usually end up collecting dust after the first read. However, QBQ is different. I was amazed the first time I read it because, yes, it contains some "common sense" concepts, but they're presented in such an articulate and entertaining way that they really send the points home. So many stories simply make me smile.

I felt a profound change in my demeanor and attitude after reading this book because it really made me examine the way I thought and interacted with others. And every 6 to 12 months or so, I'll start feeling like I'm blaming others for things more than I should. I'll pick up QBQ and read a few chapters (or just the whole thing again!) and will feel "refreshed".

I love one thing John wrote about in the middle of the book too regarding "there's probably someone you're thinking about who should read this book" (paraphrasing). It was true! Although I know it helps me, there are certain people I interact with who would benefit from it greatly! In all honesty, anyone and everyone can benefit from this. Plus, it's so affordable and such a quick, entertaining read, how can you not afford to own it?

Lastly, I'd like to plug the QBQ Twitter feed and e-mail subscription. The QBQ concept is laid out beautifully in this book, but John sends out occasional e-mail stories exemplifying the QBQ mentality. It's a great way to keep QBQ fresh and alive. Great stuff! ( )
  jasonwhurley | Oct 3, 2011 |
Previous reviewers here on LibraryThing got this one right. Miller takes a commonsense idea -- that of personal accountability - and proceeds to go way over the top with it. While some of the underlying concepts may have some validity, this comes across as a diatribe against workers who have legitimate concerns and complaints, who (according to these philosophies) should just accept their lot in life and not question or show concern about idiocy foisted on them from farther up the food chain.

Sorry...but in addition to espousing philosophy that is sophomorically simplified, and using supposedly real-life examples to support the arguments which are patently unrealistic, the physical production itself of this book is something of an affront. Blandly and smarmily written, the size of the font used in the book, combined with egregious amounts of white space, create a work that is truly a tree-killer.

Can't recommend this one at all! ( )
1 vote cannellfan | Jan 14, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399152334, Hardcover)

QBQ! by John G. Miller is a motivational primer aimed at purging the "blame, complaining, and procrastination" from the workplace. Miller believes that one of the hallmarks of today's business culture is a lack of personal accountability; he prescribes the cure in this series of short stories and personal observations drawn from his years of experience running his organizational development firm. His main point is that positive change begins with individuals changing themselves: "Instead of asking, 'When will others walk their talk?' let's walk our talk first." The result is choppy (39 chapters in 115 pages), and at times Miller's advice boils down to truism and cliché. Nevertheless, managers whose workplaces demand remedial, straightforward advice should find a useful tool here. --Harry C. Edwards

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:08 -0400)

Offers advice on developing solutions that avoid blame to address such issues as how to improve a situation, recognize individual contributions, and emphasize personal solutions in order to improve service, teamwork, and adaptability.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible