Claire de Lune by Christine Johnson

Claire de Lune (edition 2010)

by Christine Johnson

Member:DarkFaerieTales
Title:Claire de Lune
Authors:Christine Johnson
Info:Simon Pulse (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:**

Claire de Lune by Christine Johnson

This had an interesting take on werewolf mythology, and a nice case of realizing that your parents aren’t as nonsensical as they sometimes seem. I was less convinced by the romance, though I believe there’s a second book, so that might change my mind. [Oct. 2011] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
3.5 Stars

I'm not generally a werewolf fan, but I thought that this book looked interesting, and so when I won it through a giveaway I figured that I would give it a try. I did generally enjoy this one, but it did feel like it was missing a lot of depth, so I didn't enjoy quite it as much as I would have liked to.

I liked Claire, and I thought that she is a pretty typical teen, and to be thrust into this new life was pretty cruel, but she handled it well. Claire isn't the most popular girl in school, which is something that she struggles with, so when her life takes two major changes at once, it throws her for a huge loop. She just wants to be 16, date, have friends, a car, a little bit of privacy and independence... Be normal in other words, but normality is pretty much out of the question for Claire.

I really liked the different direction this book took with werewolf lore. Werewolves are real, but still exist in secret. They are not accepted into society and are still feared and demonized by many outspoken figures. I also enjoyed the way that lycanthropy is a trait passed along from mother to daughter, and one that seems to tie into Wicca, or if not Wicca, to the worship of the Goddess in general terms, and incorporates other abilities as well as extraordinary senses usually associated with werewolves. I like that the trait is inherited rather than passed through violence of a bite.

I wish that there had been more depth to the relationships in the book - the only ones that we really see in any detail are between Claire and her mother, and between Claire and Matthew. I would have liked to see more of the pack dynamic and understand more of the pack members themselves, as well as the laws that they are constantly referring to. But I suppose that this information will be revealed later in the series.

Overall, this was a quick and fun read - I enjoyed it, and I would recommend it to those who enjoy werewolf stories as something a little bit different. ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |
Meh. This was a little whiny for me with not enough actual plot; too much of Claire just being upset that she's a werewolf and not enough learning about actually being a werewolf. The end was a little better, but it just took too long to get there. Read [b:Raised by Wolves|6905534|Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1)|Jennifer Lynn Barnes|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1265140798s/6905534.jpg|7129899] or [b:Shiver|6068551|Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)|Maggie Stiefvater|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1257962751s/6068551.jpg|6244926] instead. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Coming of age has never been so complicated as when becoming a werewolf is added to the equation.

Opening Sentence: She killed him in the darkest part of the night, before the dew had settled on the grass.

The Review:

This book has left me on the proverbial fence. I honestly have no strong emotion for the story or the majority of the characters that take place in this world. On the other hand the author does strongly portray the angst and frustration between the main character Claire and her mother. This relationship grows the most during this story and changes from a distant and almost neglectful relationship to something much more.

Claire’s relationship with her best friend, Emily was more of a chore than a relationship I felt any desire to even see continue. Emily’s character is so obsessed with her immediate world that she really grated on my nerves after her fourth entrance into the story. When her parents finally send her to visit her aunt and uncle I couldn’t help but do a happy dance that I wasn’t going to have to see her for a few pages of the story.

Matthew develops into a fully rounded character by the end of the book but seemed a little one dimensional at first but maybe this is due to the fact that we are only seeing him through the eyes of a 16-year old girl with a crush. His relationship with Claire is one of the two high points of this story. As we get to understand more about the world and consequences of becoming a werewolf, we are then given an insight into Matthew’s core values that extend beyond his own family dis-functionality which is a mirror image in many respects as Claire’s with her mother.

The last major character in this story is the mystery of the werewolf that is killing innocent humans. We are taken on a bit of a roller coaster journey until we discover the murderer but I felt this one coming from the very beginning. So no shock to me when we discover who has gone rogue.

Overall, I’m neutral on this book which I didn’t expect. I have high hopes for Nocturne which is book 2 in the series and will let you know if I have had a change of mind after I finish that book.

Notable Scene:

“You come from a long line of proud women. Women who have survived, who have passed down a secret from mother to daughter.” She twisted the sheet around her fingers.

Claire crossed her arms and waited.

Her mother’s eyes darted up to meet Claire’s. “Like me, like your grandmother before me and her mother before her, you are what we call loup-garou.”

Claire cocked her head to the side. She hated it when her mother slipped back into French.

“A werewolf, chérie. You–we–are werewolves.”

FTC Advisory: Simon & Schuster provided me with a copy of Claire de Lune. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jan 11, 2013 |
ISBN: 9781847389282
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 336

Torn between two destinies...
Claire is having the perfect sixteenth birthday. Her pool party is a big success, and gorgeous Matthew keeps chatting and flirting with her as if she's the only girl there. But that night, she discovers something that takes away all sense of normalcy: she's a werewolf.
As Claire is initiated into the pack of female werewolves, she must deal not only with her changing identity, but also with a rogue werewolf who is putting everyone she knows in danger. Claire's new life threatens her blossoming romance with Matthew, whose father is leading the werewolf hunt. Now burdened with a dark secret and pushing the boundaries of forbidden love, Claire is struggling to feel comfortable in either skin. With her lupine loyalty at odds with her human heart, she will make a choice that will change her forever?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! I have read quite a few Shifter and werewolf books before but I have never come across the concept of werewolves all being females, which I really liked! My favourite characters were Claire, Marie and Zahlia, all of which are werewolves. Claire was my favourite character because she was the newest werewolf to enter the pack in this book and as she went on her journey to earn more about werewolves so did I. Marie was one of my favourite characters because of her stubborn, secretive nature and her loyalty to the pack. Zahlia was also my favourite because of her friendliness towards Claire as well as her different views on werewolf life. I love the cover of this book! The heart of branches ties in well with the story within.

Available at Amazon.co.uk. ( )
  Rai29 | Jun 9, 2012 |

In Christine Johnson's Claire de Lune a teenager learns that she is a werewolf, descended from a long line of female werewolves, and she must balance her human and werewolf lives, while tracking down the rogue werewolf preying upon the people of her town.

On her sixteenth birthday Claire discovers strange things happening and when her mother reveals their family secret which explains the changes, Claire feels her world, as she has known it to be, slowly slipping away.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,509,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible