Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind

by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (378)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (381)
Melody is not like most people. She cannot walk or talk, but she has a photographic memory; she can remember every detail of everything she has ever experienced. She is smarter than most of the adults who try to diagnose her and smarter than her classmates in her integrated classroom - the very same classmates who dismiss her as mentally challenged because she cannot tell them otherwise. But Melody refuses to be defined by cerebral palsy. And she's determined to let everyone know it - somehow.
  dneirick | May 7, 2019 |
I enjoyed Out of My Mind because I felt like it described the social isolation Melody experienced in a way that young readers could readily empathize with. For example, even when people talk to Melody, she often feels that they are doing so out of politeness and not out of an authentic desire to connect. This fear is confirmed when the group does not invite her to breakfast before the big trip. I did not think all of the dialogue was particularly realistic. For example, I did not think a teacher would make students stand as a punishment, and she definitely wouldn't point out their abilities in a comparison to a student with a disability. I also did not like that part of the story with Melody's mother felt unresolved. The book ends with Melody saying they haven't talked since the climactic event. I did not understand the author's choice to leave this conflict without commentary or resolve. Overall, I think the big idea behind this book is to realize that everyone is more complex than they seem, and we will be happiest when we make significant connections with a diverse group of people. ( )
  Gnervi1 | Apr 16, 2019 |
We all have disabilities, only some are visible. A very touching and enlightening story. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Apr 10, 2019 |
Trapped by her inability to walk, talk, or write, Melody Brooks is treated as if she is mentally challenged. She's actually quite brilliant, has photographic memory, and remembers everything that has ever happened to her. She is determined to find a way to let others know, somehow.
  Gmomaj | Apr 9, 2019 |
I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of enjoyment I received from this book. When looking at a higher elementary and lower middle school level book I did not think that the themes and lessons from the text would make me so emotional but they did. Throughout this book we follow the life of a child with cerebral palsy. This disease restricts her to a wheelchair as well as affects her ability to speak verbally. Going through the story we follow Melody Brooks’ struggles and triumphs through the story. One of the things I loved so much about the book was the realism that we saw throughout. In no place in the story did I feel that these things could not have been really occurring. The realistic fiction genre was shown very well through the examples of everyday struggles we could see occurring with those that have cerebral palsy. I also liked the relentlessness the author had. Draper did not choose to make the character have only good and happy experiences and really illustrated the struggles the main character went through. But when researching the author more I learned that she was a former special education teacher. After many thoughts of “How do we really know this is what a student with this disability could be thinking?”, I was more reassured that she could have had the same experiences with a student like this in her classes as well. This book was a mixture of triumphs and heartbreak near the end where we see the struggles that not only Melody has but her family as well. Communication is a tool that most humans take for granted and we should all learn how to appreciate the gift we were given.
  svonne1 | Mar 11, 2019 |
This book could be considered an eye opener to many. I think this would be a good book to read for teenage students because at that age everyone is different and sometimes kids can be cruel to children who aren't like them. I have a friend who has cerebral palsy so this book was very emotional but quite nice for me to read.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green

Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind

To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

A brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy, considered by many to be mentally retarded, discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,629,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible