Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2012)

by Sharon M. Draper (Author)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.
Member:JamieStark
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper (Author)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages
Tags:The Boy on the Porch

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (415)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (418)
I decided to read Out of My Mind when my 5th-grade daughter was assigned to read it for school. It’s the story of Melody, a 5th-grade girl with severe cerebral palsy. She’s in a wheelchair and can’t talk at all. However, she’s extremely intelligent. One day, she gets a computer that can talk for her, similar to what Stephen Hawking uses, and that changes everything. Almost. Even though Melody can speak, she is still vastly underestimated by both children and teachers at school. Some of the students are downright mean. Almost no one has any faith in her when she decides to try out for the school’s quiz bowl team.

I have seen some adult reviewers who thought it was unrealistic that Melody learned to use the speaking computer so quickly without the help of a speech pathologist. I’m sure it is. It’s also unrealistic that she never had any doctor’s appointments or physical therapy. However, I don’t think the point of the story was to teach 5th graders the specific medical details of a person with CP’s life. I think the simplified version accomplishes what the author set out to do. If a reader is interested in learning more about the medical side of having CP, I’m sure there are other books for that.

Out of My Mind is a great story for kids around Melody’s age to show them that you can’t always tell what’s inside a person by just looking at them. Melody is in a special education classroom with kids that not only have physical disabilities but intellectual disabilities as well. Children reading this book will see that all types of kids with disabilities have feelings and young readers will empathize with them. Actually, any age reader will emphasize with them – this book made me cry! My daughter and I both give Out of My Mind our recommendation, especially for middle-grade readers. ( )
  mcelhra | Jan 4, 2021 |
Melody is different than most people, she has cerebral palsy. While having cerebral palsy she has a photographic memory and can remember every single thing she has done and been through. Melody is tired of letting her disability define her so she is making a point to show her classmates she is someone other than the girl with disabilities.
10/10 recommend ( )
  ecernosek | Nov 16, 2020 |
Out of My Mind gives an entirely new and detailed perspective of how our society almost neglects feelings, thoughts, and other cognitive functions in people who have disabilities. Melody (the main character) is a prime example of this. She can't walk or talk yet she is still equally as bright if even brighter than her classmates. Out of My Mind perfectly depicts her struggles and enables the reader to see her perspective of life. This book teaches a few different lessons, one of which being although we can make an assumption of someone just by looking at them people are constantly full of surprises and doubting someone's abilities based on the way they look, the color of their skin, etc. is never accurate and reflects negatively on yourself than it does the person. ( )
  danafriedlander | Nov 5, 2020 |
When a book makes me chuckle, cringe, cry, and cheer, well, WOW! Should be required reading for anyone between 9 and 90. "We all have disabilities. What's yours?" ( )
  lasvegasbookie | Aug 20, 2020 |
Strengths: Very readable, with a strong beginning and an interesting view into the mind of a girl with CP who cannot speak.

Weaknesses: It's too pat. She's too brilliant, her teachers are all too dismissive, the other kids are two-dimensional. It's the kind of book that gets dated quickly.

dmturner | Jun 29, 2020 |
This book could be considered an eye opener to many. I think this would be a good book to read for teenage students because at that age everyone is different and sometimes kids can be cruel to children who aren't like them. I have a friend who has cerebral palsy so this book was very emotional but quite nice for me to read.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green

Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind

To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,571,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible