Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:amysisson
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Favorite Covers
Tags:wishlist, favorite covers

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

As a reader I really enjoyed this book for many reasons. First, the book was easy to "jump into", it hooks you right away. Second it was an easy read, the language of the book was up to date and the characters used todays "slang" during dialog. I enjoyed the characters, each of which I thought were very well developed. Although the book didnt include pictures I was able to visualize many or the scenes, settings, and characters which showed the organization, and imagery the author used. I also liked that the author wrote about something different than other books, the main character of the story has cerebral palsy and is unable to talk, her struggles and triumph throughtout the book make for an entremely inspirational story and one that will change the way you look at and think about those around us with disabilities. By far one of my favorite books i've ever read! ( )
  Lwatso7 | Mar 2, 2015 |
Absolutely excellent!!! If you enjoyed Wonder, you'll enjoy this as well. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
This novel describes a young girl, Melody, who feels as though she is trapped in her own mind. Melody goes throughout her elementary school years frustrated and unable to truly connect with others, until 5th grade. Melody gets a talking machine and is finally able to express herself. She competes in a brain challenge but doesn't get to go to nationals because her "friend" didn't call her about the airplane. Melody rises above the bullying, stands up to those who were mean to her, and grows. ( )
  sommerkirk | Feb 24, 2015 |
(4.3)
  mshampson | Feb 23, 2015 |
I liked this book for many reasons. First, it tells a story of an unbelievably smart girl who is unable to show her talents at first due to her disability. The language is very descriptive and you have a realistic image of who exactly Melody is. The story is told in first person point of view in the voice of Melody. She expresses her ideas, thoughts, and feelings to the reader, that the people around her are not yet able to understand. The plot is well organized and the reader gets to go through the many obstacles that Melody faces along the way. While reading this story, you really feel as if you are there with Melody, stuck inside your own body unable to tell people what she really wants or how she really feels. The book pushes readers to be more considerate of those with disabilities. Everyone has thoughts and feels and it is important to always be considerate of those who do. The big idea of this book is that if you have a disease or disability you are not defined by it, just like Melody proved that she was more then a girl who has cerebral palsy. ( )
  agassa1 | Feb 23, 2015 |
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:07 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,288,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible