Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Info:Atheneum (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Favorite Covers
Tags:wishlist, favorite covers

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (201)  Catalan (1)  All languages (202)
In my opinion “Out of My Mind” is a fantastic book. I believe that everyone should read it because we can learn from Melody, the main character. One reason I like this book is because of the main character Melody. The author does a great job describing Melody as a person and as a student. The book gives the reader a different perspective of a person who has a severe disability. It teaches us to appreciate those that are different from us and to embrace differences. In the words of Melody, the main character, “I have spastic bilateral quadriplegia, also known as cerebral palsy. It limits my body, but not my mind.” “But a person is so much more than the name of a diagnosis on a chart!” Melody explains that even though she unable to talk or move she is extremely smart with feelings. ( )
  eranda2 | Feb 7, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. First, the author used descriptive and clear language, which made the readers feel like they were living in Melody's world with her. From the start of the book to the end, the author had the audience constantly engaged. For example, the author wrote "Going to the bathroom at school just plain sucks. I have to be taken out of my chair, lifted onto the toilet, and held there so I don't fall. Then someone has to wipe me when I'm finished." This allows the reads to visualize the struggles Melody goes though everyday. Additionally, the characters were believable and well developed throughout the span of the book. For instance, Melody struggled to find her place and voice in the beginning chapters but manages to make a name for herself by the end of the book. The big idea of this story is that appearances should not have an impact on our view of other’s capabilities and that bullying is not acceptable in any way. Almost everyone judged Melody by how she looked and acted, including doctors. This impacted Melody in many ways, some good and some bad. Furthermore, teachers and classmates bullied and sat back and watched as Melody got bullied because of how she looked and how she acted. This is completely unacceptable and standing by and doing nothing about Melody being bullied is just as bad as being the bully. It is very important that students learn these big ideas from this book. ( )
  mennis2 | Feb 5, 2016 |
Amazing book. Perfect for grades 3-8. Inspiring story. Doesn't hold back and isn't sappy. If you like realistic fiction and stories that touch many emotions, you will like this. A similarly inspiring book: Wonder by R.J. Palacio. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author did a great job of trying to write from the perspective of a child with a severe physical disability, but with an exceptionally high intelligence. The language that she used in the book was clear and descriptive; the metaphors and symbolism were easily understood. What really stood out for me is how the author developed the character of Melody. She went from being a misunderstood girl who just wanted to blend in, to a girl with a voice who was not afraid to use it. The author, Sharon Draper, crafted Melody as a 3-dimensional character who had realistic feelings, wants, and reactions to the complicated world around her. Melody wants to fit in, she enjoys dirty jokes with her mom, she has a sassy mouth when she wants, and she fights relentlessly to achieve more and more in a world built against her. Despite the fact that she cannot talk, she manages to have people understand her favorite foods (spaghetti), and her favorite music (country), among many others. One of my favorite aspects about this book is how it challenges readers, especially those that it is geared towards (5th-6th grade), to think about diversity and difficulties of those they may not understand. It gives an in-depth voice to someone that young children may see, but never think much about unless they have a personal connection to someone with a noticeable disability. The big message of this book is that those with differences are not all that different from everyone else, and those differences are not the final definition of who they are and what they can achieve. ( )
  Casee | Feb 3, 2016 |
Melody has cerebral palsy, cannot speak and is confined to a wheelchair. But what no one knows is that she's smart, obervant and has a photographic memory. Those skills may help take the school to a national championship of the Whiz Kids. But will her classmates and teacher accept her as part of the team? This introduces kids to the challenges faced by the severely disabled and perhaps help generate discussion about their humanity. Other novels on disability have greater depth (Accidents by Nature, Marcelo and the Real World, among others), but this is suitable. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

139 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,079,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible