Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:amysisson
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Favorite Covers
Tags:wishlist, favorite covers

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (278)  Catalan (1)  All (279)
THANK YOU so much for Out of My Mind. I'm 35 and I live with Spastic Quadriplegia Cerebral Palsy. Even though I can walk, talk, and feed myself, I use a power chair for my everyday life. I loved this book and I read it in a little over 48 hrs. I could relate so well to Melody, and I couldn't believe she was fictional. A yr. ago, self-published my own story, and I hope it does for readers what Out of My Mind did for me; It inspired me and reaffirmed what I have always felt, "That everyone's more alike then different. We all dream, we all laugh, and we all LOVE. ( )
  achally | May 21, 2017 |
In my opinion this book is a MUST READ! This book is unique because it gives the perspective of an experience that would have never been noticed. Melody, a girl who could not speak, write, or walk, but remembers every detail from birth. Readers build a connection to her character, and are suspended by her story. The determination Melody has to not allow her disability to define her leaves this book to be an amazing story to share. I would give this book five stars and encourage this book to be read and discussed by middle school students. ( )
  KrissyKares | May 14, 2017 |
Summary: 11 year old Melody has cerebral palsy. Everyone thinks she isn't coherent but she is inside. She learns how to communicate with the outside world. Gives a look past the disability to the person inside who wants to be heard.
Criteria: critique of genre: realistic fiction- Touching, difficult to read because of the content and the empathy felt for Melody. Seems real. Gives insight into what it is really like to live that way.
Age: intermediate, secondary ( )
  hwestin | Apr 20, 2017 |
In Out of my Mind, Sharon Draper depicts the courageous journey of a young girl with Cerebral Palsy. Despite the everyday struggles she faces in life, Melody is determined to be seen/known for her brilliance rather than her disability. This story is notable because it teaches young readers the values of inclusion and acceptance. This story also has the power to make all readers advocates of inclusion and fair treatment for all. ( )
  Cayetlin_Hardeman | Apr 16, 2017 |
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Summary: This book was about a little girl named Melody who had cerebral palsy, causing her to not be able to move well or speak at all. Despite this, Melody was very smart. Melody was very determined to let people see how smart she really was. Eventually she got a computer that allows her to communicate with others, and can finally share how smart she is. Although there are still many challenges, and Melody doesn't always get the respect she deserves, she still always has a positive look on life. This is realistic fiction because this is a true story. There are people with cerebral palsy that have to learn how to live and get to their fullest potential of life.
Use in classroom: This would be a good book if there was a student at the school with cerebral palsy to discuss how to treat them and what challenges they have.
Age Appropriateness: Intermediate ( )
  mdalbeck15 | Apr 9, 2017 |
This book could be considered an eye opener to many. I think this would be a good book to read for teenage students because at that age everyone is different and sometimes kids can be cruel to children who aren't like them. I have a friend who has cerebral palsy so this book was very emotional but quite nice for me to read.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green

Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind

To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

A brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy, considered by many to be mentally retarded, discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible