Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:amysisson
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Favorite Covers
Tags:wishlist, favorite covers

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (256)  Catalan (1)  All (257)
RGG: So well done. Perfect read-alike for Wonder. Even better since the messages aren't so on the nose (e.g., missing the trip vs. sister's accident). Also read-alike for The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg. Main character and family and neighmbor may be African-American. Reading Interest: 10-13, even though main character is in 5th Grade.
  rgruberexcel | Dec 2, 2016 |
Awesome story of an 11-year old girl who's a genius trapped by cerebral palsey in a body that doesn't work. You'll never forget this fiercely intelligent girl. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book because of its theme and because of its perspective. The theme of this book is unlike others, as it is not based fully around love or friendship or any other typical book theme. The theme is communication. Throughout the book, we our focused on a girl named Melody who is practically a genius, but has a hard time expressing it because she is unable to speak due to her cerebral palsy. This story is all about how she is able to communicate with others and how she is able to prove that she is just as smart, even smarter than the other students in her class. Noises and head nods were her main way of expressing her feelings or letting someone know if she needed something. Her communication is enhanced when she receives a computer that allows her to choose from an infinite amount of words and then produce sentences out of them. I thought the perspective was incredibly interesting because it was her speech that she had going on in her mind. The whole book is based inside of her head, unlike any other book I’ve read. It made me feel as if I had an advantage because I was able to understand what was going through her mind whereas her classmates had no idea. This also allowed me to experience the frustration she faced constantly when she couldn’t express herself verbally and made me just as frustrated because I knew she knew the answers to questions in school, she just didn’t have any way of expressing them. ( )
  tvance2 | Nov 16, 2016 |
This book could be considered an eye opener to many. I think this would be a good book to read for teenage students because at that age everyone is different and sometimes kids can be cruel to children who aren't like them. I have a friend who has cerebral palsy so this book was very emotional but quite nice for me to read.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green

Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind

To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

A brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy, considered by many to be mentally retarded, discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

138 wanted2 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,741,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible