Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:amysisson
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Favorite Covers
Tags:wishlist, favorite covers

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

This book is an amazing story of a girl who doesn't communicate verbally, but over the first ten years of her life, she finds her voice. This book is such a wonderful book in that it gives you a glimpse into not only what it's like to have a the main character's disability, but also how she felt about things people might say to or about her.
It's also a great example of perseverance, strength, and loving who you are. For example, toward the end of the book, Melody decides that she's going to try out to be on the school's academic team. After she gets a perfect score on the entrance exam, her awful teacher says "if Melody Brooks can win the first round, then my questions must not be difficult enough!" (page 155). For a chapter or so, Melody doesn't want to do the next round of tryouts because she feels too hurt and embarrassed. But with the love and support of her family and Mrs. V, she studies really hard for the next round and she makes the team. She didn't let her teacher and her nasty classmates stop her from doing what she wanted to do. And that's a great message for kids. If you love doing something, don't let anyone stop you from doing it, even if they are total jerks. ( )
  hphipp2 | Dec 5, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite books I've ever read because it allows such a unique, unusual perspective. As we are able to see into this young girl's mind and understand what she is feeling and dealing with as she has cerebral palsy, I think students are given the opportunity to see into a world unlike any they've ever thought of before. The book promotes compassion and respect rather than pity. 3-8 grade.
  sbutler9 | Dec 3, 2014 |
Chapter book about a girl named Melody with multiple disabilities that makes her unable to speak and use her muscles well. Told from her POV, struggles of being disabled, school and life experiences, making friends, etc. An awesome book for upper elementary grades.
  kzilinskas | Dec 3, 2014 |
Genre:Realistic Fiction
Format:Chapter Book

Out of my mind is a book about a very special girl, Melody, who is eleven years old and has Cerebral Palsy. She cannot speak a word; therefore she feels that she is trapped in her own body with no way out. She is a brilliant observer and thinker. In the book we come to find out that the disability that Melody has is only physical, through the beginning she struggles so much because she cannot communicate to her peers or even to her parents all her thoughts. Some important characters in the book include Mrs. V. pushed Melody when she was very young to try her best to do things independently.When she is placed in the fifth grade she is in the special education program that has inclusion in the general education classroom.She had a hard time with other students who would treat her as if she were mentally disabled. On Christmas melody recieves a communicaton device that would enable her to speak.She fight to be part of the "Whiz-Kidz" team for a trivia competition and she makes it. The story of Melody was very touching for me because I have worked with children with Cerebral Palsy and it is difficult to know what is going on in their heads, it is a great book for fith-sixth grade students to become familiar with students with special needs and inclusion.
  georperez | Dec 3, 2014 |
Another strong candidate for a Social Issues Book Club. This books opens up the readers eyes to what it would be like to be a child with cerebral palsy trying to get through day to day struggles and life. It deals with a very deep subject matter and requires a more mature reader. The characters change quite a bit from beginning to end, and we feel the frustration of Melody and her sadness at knowing she will never be like her new born sister, who is born healthy. Melody is able to find happiness, but not as easily as others do and not without some rocky roads to cross. ( )
  Taranto | Dec 2, 2014 |
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:07 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible