Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:amysisson
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Favorite Covers
Tags:wishlist, favorite covers

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (268)  Catalan (1)  All (269)
A very interesting book about an intelligent girl with cerebral palsy who is unable to move or speak. It was interesting. I thought the ending was a bit much and unnecessary. But the book as a whole was interesting. ( )
  KamGeb | Feb 22, 2017 |
Summary: A story of Melody a eleven year old girl, born with cerebral palsy and cannot walk or talk is filled with life lessons and challenges. Although she is non-verbal she is highly intelligent and has a phenomenal photographic memory, for that reason she hates her special education classes, where she cannot make her thoughts and opinions known. and although her parents have done everything they can to give her a normal life, the fact that she cannot voice things she finds herself frustrated. Melody eventually does the research to get a computer which helps her speak an communicate her thoughts and participate in regular 5th grade classes. Melody finds herself in a opportunity to participate with the school in a regional and national trivia competition. And with the push from her neighbor Mrs. V she learns all the facts possible. However, even a great success cannot change the option of those who cannot see beyond the physical, and Melody is forced to stand against the challenges of the opinion and thoughts of others.

Personal Response: The author Sharon Draper brilliantly conveys and brings to life a fictional character who readers can draw a picture of in their minds. In this book the reader is able to see the world from Melody’s point of view, and take in how frustrating it is not to be able to voice your thoughts and the hardship of not being able to do anything for yourself, constantly feeling left out, and enduring bullying. The book reveals beautiful friendships Melody was able to form with adults and peers despite her disability. And the strength she has to push past her differences and be accepted into the eyes of others, with some success and some difficulties. It is a beautiful book that leaves the readers wanting more, and understand the differences of others.

Curriculum Connections:
This book can be used to teach students the differences in everybody. Understanding differences in people, embracing it, and accepting those differences. Students can research what cerebral palsy is prior to reading the book, and discuss how words both verbal and written play a role in our lives, and explore how one would communicate without the typical does of communication. During the reading, students can engage in writing activities, writing a piece on their perspective of Melody, and encourage deep discussions of the world she lived in, and what others could have done to make it better. After the reading, students could do a group project, and design a Medi-Talker that would benefit Melody and others with cerebral palsy and discuss what should be a part of the computer, and what might not be needed. And this book can also be used to discover other disabilities people have, and explore the differences and similarities in people. ( )
  ftakahashi | Feb 20, 2017 |
This book is about a young girl who is wheelchair-bound and was born with cerebral palsy. Even though she cannot speak or walk she has a photographic memory that no one can take from her. The central message of the story is how she overcome her adversary and found a way to express herself to other. But everyone was not ready for her to express herself yet. ( )
  jwedderburn | Feb 16, 2017 |
I liked this book for a number of reasons. First, the book had a good plot about young girl who had many physical disabilities but proved she did not have any mental disabilities and was extremely capable of learning just like other children her age. Second, the language was very descriptive and allowed for readers to picture what is going on throughout the story and picture the characters. For example, Melody describes her younger sister's favorite stuffed animal as, "...a soft, brown stuffed animal that might be a monkey or maybe a squirrel. It's so beat-up, nobody knows for sure what it really is." (pg. 82). Melody also describes her college student aide as not very stylish and describes a bunch of her outfits. Last, the main character, Melody, is very well-developed throughout the book. The beginning starts out with learning that Melody has not ever spoken a word, can not feed, bathe, or cloth herself. She has never been able to walk and uses a wheelchair to get around. Starting the book you do not realize what an amazing young girl Melody is because she has never been able to communicate with words. Melody goes on to be a very important player on the Quiz Team for the school, causing her team to make it to Washington D.C. to be on TV for a national quiz game. One of the main messages of this book is inclusion in schools and the acceptance that no one is perfect. Melody is put into special inclusion classes so she is able to be with peers her age and interact with these students, where some accept her and others do not. Melody has to prove herself to all the students in the class, including the teacher, that she is a very special and talented young girl. ( )
  kblanc2 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I liked this book for three main reasons. First, the point of view in this story is first person. As a special educator and someone who has had a family member become nonverbal due to a hereditary condition, it is remarkable to think about the inner dialogue that must be going on in someone like Melody's mind. For example, Melody thinks, "sometimes people never even ask my name, like it's not important or something. It is. My name is Melody." This was an extremely powerful way to introduce our main character by name while showing the emotion that is stirring inside of her. Next, I loved that the plot of the story showed the progression of Melody from her frustration in being unable to communicate and live normally to her becoming a prosperous student and valuable member of the trivia team. The flow of the story helped paint a realistic picture of what life is like for a student with disabilities. In the early chapters Melody's condition is introduced along with hers and her parents' worry. This progresses through a misdiagnosis and a suffering education due to it. Melody eventually becomes part of a special education program and eventually moves on to inclusion programs in which she can participate in the same lessons as her able bodied classmates. In the end Melody becomes a key member of the trivia team, a position she desired long before she could even communicate properly. Her triumphant progression is very well organized and heartwarming. Lastly, the characters are all believable and some are very inspiring. While this story is fiction, none of the events that take place are unrealistic. From Melody's jealousy of her younger sister Penny, to the kids in the music class that made fun of the special education students, to sweet Rose that showed compassion to Melody in music class, each character showed traits that we have all witnessed first-hand in our lives. The realistic portrayal of human nature in this book makes it easy to empathize with the characters and fully immerse ourselves in the story. The main ideas throughout this book are perseverance and compassion. ( )
  gregclemens | Feb 12, 2017 |
This book could be considered an eye opener to many. I think this would be a good book to read for teenage students because at that age everyone is different and sometimes kids can be cruel to children who aren't like them. I have a friend who has cerebral palsy so this book was very emotional but quite nice for me to read.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green

Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind

To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

A brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy, considered by many to be mentally retarded, discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

138 wanted2 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,527,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible