Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:amysisson
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Favorite Covers
Tags:wishlist, favorite covers

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Recently added bykrsimmons, mfdavis, Torion, DavidCady, KarenElissa, zenima, private library, huskynewbooks
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

A fictional tale of the experiences of a young girl with with severe CP. She is bright as a button but many people assume she is ineducable due to her communication difficulties. As she overcomes these she begins to write her life story. It's a brilliant story. The reader experiences her highs and lows, delights and frustrations, and ultimate coming of age. The author uses her family experience to convey the reality of growing up with a significant disability. As a Deaf Studies graduate I am acutely aware of the arguments against mainstream education for culturo-linguistic minorities, however this book makes a powerful argument for mainstreaming disabled students, but more importantly, doing it well. I loved this book so much I stayed up most of the night to finish it in 24 hours. ( )
  eclecticdodo | May 18, 2015 |
"Out of my Mind" is an amazing novel, in my opinion, for many different reasons. Draper tells the story of a young girl, Melody, who is stuck inside her head because of the disability she was born with, cerebral palsy, and how she fights the odds to get her thoughts heard by those who thought she was not capable of anything. The author uses amazing figurative language for the reader to visualize what Melody is explaining throughout the novel. For example, in chapter 6 the author writes "The rest of my body is sort of like a coat with buttons done up in the wrong holes." Also, Draper begins every new chapter with the first paragraph in bold. I believe the purpose of this is to introduce the reader to what the chapter is about. The message I got from this story is to never give up home and that you can do anything you set your mind to. ( )
  bridgetmcnamara | May 4, 2015 |
I found this book to be a rather enjoyable read up until the ending. The perspective of the story being from the mind of a young girl with cerebral palsy was liberating. Typically you do not receive this type of insight and the author's familiarity with the difficulties a child with disabilities face was refreshing.The plot of the story and the characters were very believable and the descriptive language only added to this. The plot engages you and makes you feel as though you are experiencing the difficulties that Melody is facing which definitely makes it a good read. The book forces the reader to consider the tough issue of being a person with disabilities and gives the reader a new perspective to consider. The only downfall that the book had was the ending, which was heart-wrenching. It felt like an unsuitable way to end such a wonderful book with such a powerful message. ( )
  agates5 | May 4, 2015 |
Melody is not like most people. She cannot walk or talk, but she has a photographic memory; she can remember every detail of everything she has ever experienced. She is smarter than most of the adults who try to diagnose her and smarter than her classmates in her integrated classroom—the very same classmates who dismiss her as mentally challenged, because she cannot tell them otherwise. But Melody refuses to be defined by cerebral palsy. And she’s determined to let everyone know it…somehow. ( )
  robynr | Apr 28, 2015 |
This book was great, until the end which ruined the entire book. The book was well written and very descriptive. It described Melody and her family and her life so that the reader could envision what she looked like and could feel what she was feeling. I felt like it was so well written that I was feeling the feelings myself. I enjoyed Melody as the main character. I felt bad for her but wanted to keep reading to see what happened to her. I did not like the plot of the book and the ending. I thought it was horrible and sad. How could Melody's mom run over her sister with a car, how could everyone leave her and make fun of her just one thing was worse than the next. The central message of the story was to be strong and that life could be worse so make the best of what you have. ( )
  sfinke5 | Apr 20, 2015 |
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:07 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,175,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible