Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:amysisson
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Favorite Covers
Tags:wishlist, favorite covers

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (273)  Catalan (1)  All (274)
In my opinion this good was amazing. The main reason why I enjoyed this book was due to the point of view that it was presented in. Melody was a great character who was very verbal with how she felt on the inside. The fact that this book was in first person was a great way for us to get a true understanding on how Melody feels. The plot of the story was also interesting. There was a high build up towards Melody going to a contest but then the group excludes her. I feel that plot twist was terrible and me as the reader was excited for Melody to succeed and it made me cry and feel Melody’s pain. The message I got out of this story was that we must accept and try to include everyone of all abilities. ( )
  aromer7 | Mar 13, 2017 |
In my opinion, this is a very interesting and informative book. The topic of exceptionalities is not something we read about very often, so it immediately engaged me once I began to read. One of the reasons I enjoyed this book was the descriptive language. Here is an example, "Words have always swirled around me like snowflakes--each one delicate and different, each on melting untouched in my hands."
I also enjoyed this book a lot because it pushes readers to think about how others lives may be different from out own. The book is written as if the main character, Melody, perspective which makes it easy to connect to her and her emotions. Because this book had so many great qualities, I would recommend this book to anyone.
  epugli2 | Mar 13, 2017 |
I liked the book for a number of reasons. First, this book really gets you thinking from the perspective of children with disabilities and all they go through. It opens your eyes and makes you reflect on how you have interacted and perceived people with disabilities. Second, this book if from Melody’s’ point of view you the reader goes through all of her mistreatments and feelings with Melody. Lastly, Melody is a very well developed character, readers learn all about her likes and dislikes, how she goes through a normal day and how she feels throughout the day. You learn that Melody was born with cerebral palsy therefore she is not able to feed herself, go to the bathroom or get dressed by herself, but you also learn that she has a photographic memory making her very smart. The only problem is Melody has no way of showing how smart she is, as the plot develops you learn more about Melody and her family and how difficult their lives are and problems that come from Melody having a disability. I believe the message of this book is not to judge someone because of his or her disability because you might not know the extent of it. This book is a great read, especially for education majors. ( )
  awelch12 | Feb 27, 2017 |
This book is from the perspective of an 11 year old girl named in Melody who has cerebral palsy. Melody can't talk, walk, eat on her own, and go to the bathroom on her own. She is stuck in special needs classes and all she wants to do is talk and learn like all the "normal" kids. She gets the chance to go part time in a fifth grade class but that becomes a challenge because the students make fun of her and they don't see her true potential when is comes to school. Melody eventually gets and aid to help her in the classroom and she even gets a fancy device that she can form a sentence on and it will speak for her. Now that she has a device that can help her talk she was able to join quiz team that would go to competitions to test their knowledge. She was the smartest on the team but the students and even the teacher didn't see her full potential and on their biggest completion she was left. melody was devastated. She become depressed after that event but she chose to take the high road and show up to school and stay strong. This is a realistic fiction book because this is actually happens many people in the world today have cerebral palsy and this is a challenge they face today. ( )
  SabraR | Feb 27, 2017 |
Realistic fiction
Review: Melody is born with cerebral palsy and she grows up having a brilliant mind, but a body that does not function well. She lives her life trying her hardest to fit in, but fully aware of her situation and disability
Critique: This is a great realistic fiction because it brings out a very real struggle for children with disabilities in a way children will connect with easily.
This is a great realistic fiction because of the way it shows how to include a student with disabilities in the general education classroom. ( )
  lbenfield15 | Feb 24, 2017 |

This book could be considered an eye opener to many. I think this would be a good book to read for teenage students because at that age everyone is different and sometimes kids can be cruel to children who aren't like them. I have a friend who has cerebral palsy so this book was very emotional but quite nice for me to read.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green

Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind

To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

A brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy, considered by many to be mentally retarded, discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

138 wanted2 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,267,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible