Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:amysisson
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Favorite Covers
Tags:wishlist, favorite covers

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (228)  Catalan (1)  All languages (229)
Out of My Mind is an amazing book and a must read. I recommend this book because the main character is believable and well-developed. It is written in her perspective. Readers are able to understand the life of Melody and the effects of having cerebral palsy and other disabilities. The conflicts within this book make it more enjoyable and engaging. Since I didn't know what was going to happen next, I never wanted to put it down. The theme of acceptance is often portrayed throughout the book, allowing the reader to understand the importance of self-acceptance and to accept others as the way they are. Finally, the language used within this book allowed the reader to easily understand Melody as the main character. ( )
  kbutki1 | Apr 19, 2016 |
This book is amazing and I have never read anything like it! This book is told in the perspective of an eleven-year-old girl with cerebral palsy. She cannot speak and her body is so stiff she must be in a wheelchair. Melody Brooks may be categorized as “special needs”, but she is extremely gifted with her photographic memory. Doctors are no help to her. She says “Doctors. Where do I start? Doctors really don’t get me. Mom’s a nurse, so I guess she speaks their languages, but they sure don’t know how to talk to me. I’ve seen dozens of doctors in my life, who all try to analyze me and figure me out. None of them can fix me, so I usually ignore them and act like the retarded person they think I am. I paste on a blank look, focus on one wall and pretend their questions are too hard for me to understand. It’s sort of what they expect anyway.”

Readers can see the world through such a unique perspective, it really makes you think and that is why I love this book. There are many instances in the book where people approach Melody and think that there is not a mind or person inside her body. Even teachers look down upon her and school is a joke for her. Melody says “I was so excited when Mom first enrolled me here. I thought I’d learn new things every day, but mostly it was simply something to do that took up time and got me out of the house. In 2nd and 3rd grade I probably learned more from the Sci-Fi or Discovery channels than I ever learned at school. My teachers were nice, most of the time, but they would’ve needed x-ray vision to see what was in my head.”

Once Melody received a computer that let her express her thoughts, things really looked up for her. She was so excited she could respond to questions and let her parents know she loves them. Melody even joins the school’s quiz team, which never featured a child with special needs until now. Students looked down on her as being stupid and even her teacher stated that if Melody Brooks was answering his questions right, then obviously his questions were not hard enough. The main idea of this book is that you should never judge a book by its cover and making assumptions about anyone is wrong because you have no idea what is going on inside their head. Melody has classmates that torture her and her teachers look down on her, but despite all odds can she come out on top? Can she win the first place trophy for her school? Find friends that accept her? Read Out of My Mind to find out what happens to Melody Brooks! ( )
  rleary2 | Apr 15, 2016 |
i wrote a book review for this book. i am not seeing it on here can anyone else see it?
1 vote | reganbounds | Mar 22, 2016 |
Very interesting perspective. I was rooting for the main character to have a voice of her own the whole time. Wonderfully touching. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
I liked the story though it felt heavy-handed at times and occasionally unrealistic. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 8, 2016 |
Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind

To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

139 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible