Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:children's literature, fiction, disabilities, read 2013

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

I enjoyed this first chapter book a lot! It was very relatable to with going into the special education field. I think that this book would be given to higher elementary children to introduce them to the world of special education and the students that are in it. They will grow a greater knowledge of how to treat them from learning from the examples in the book. The students will know no to treat these children differently because they are not necessarily any different from them. The word usage is not too hard for the students to understand and the flow of the events were very good. For example, from the book, the main character cannot physically talk. The author did an outstanding job of explaining the girl’s thoughts that were happening inside her head to what was really going on in the environment around him. It flowed so nicely and was easy to follow along.
  jbahri1 | Nov 11, 2015 |
Everyone who raved about R.J. Palacio's Wonder should read this book. Melody has cerebral palsy, which means she can't walk, can't even move her limbs much at all, and can't speak. But her limitations are purely physical. Melody has enjoyed reading and learning since she was read to as a baby, and now, at eleven, she is very intelligent. She knows the definitions of countless words, and knows a lot of trivia - she just can't prove it to anyone. The communication board her parents made is very limited, so Melody has to try and communicate through blinks, nods, and the occasional tantrum. When she starts fifth grade, her special class starts attending inclusion classes, which opens Melody's world up and leads to new opportunities. You'd think a book about a fifth grader would be low stakes, but there was some excellent suspense in this story! Melody was so well-written that I wanted to be her friend. I work with adults with disabilities, and this book really opened my eyes to what the individuals with CP are going through every day. It's an amazing book for everyone to read, and I'm going to be recommending it to everyone I meet.
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Amazing look into the life of a special needs child. Great insight for "normal" children. Wonderful read aloud! ( )
  Tracie_Shepherd | Oct 28, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading out of my mind because I thought it was very eye opening and interesting. It had my full attention the entire time because of the storyline. I think that the aithor did a great job developing the characters and the way the book was written really had an impact on my opinion of the book. It was a fast read because it was good so I did not really want to put it down. I think the language and writing are appropriate for the ages of students that would read this book. It is written in first person, told my the main character Melody. I think this book is a great way for people to learn about cerebral palsy, not only about what it is but how it feels to have it and what is affected on a daily basis.
  jcooke7 | Oct 12, 2015 |
I found reading this book to a very eye-opening experience and I thought it was a good book because of that. This book tells the story of a girl with a physical disability who struggles to gain the appreciation and respect of her peers. This dilemma is addressed and examined through the academic competition that the main character participates in, and even despite overcoming many obstacles, she is still not accepted as she would be had she not had a disability. The central idea of this book is to teach children to be cognizant of others thoughts and feelings because emotions are universal, regardless of whether or not that person looks or acts the way you do.

I think the language and writing are appropriate for the intended audience and because the book is written in first person, it adds and extra level of meaning and relatability to the characters and the plot. ( )
  rlove2 | Oct 6, 2015 |
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

120 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,834,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible