Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:klarsenmd
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:children's literature, fiction, disabilities, read 2013

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Booklist starred (January 1, 2010), Horn Book starred (Fall 2010), Kirkus Reviews starred (February 15, 2010)
1 vote stonini | Jul 13, 2014 |
Seeing life from the perspective of someone who has amazing insight to who people really are is amazing! I really enjoyed this book. Melody's story is one that truly needed telling. I think I felt every emotion as I was reading, happy, sad/tearful, angry, frustrated, even embarrassed. One I'm considering to share with my students in the fall - just not sure how (read aloud, audiobook, or individually). ( )
  Renee.Brandon | Jul 5, 2014 |
This is a great book for many reasons. First, it is written from the point of view of Melody, a girl with cerebral palsy. It gives readers a look in the mind of someone who has no means of communication, and really puts the struggle into perspective. Due to the fact that Melody is 11 years old, students in the fifth or sixth grades can relate to her experiences. Next, the first chapter of the book introduces Melody’s feelings and condition. At the end, the story comes full circle when Melody begins writing her autobiography, using the same words as the first chapter written in italics. Also, I like that Melody’s words are written in bold because it makes it easy to distinguish her speech from her thoughts. In addition, every chapter begins with a few important sentences bolded to introduce the chapter. For example, the author writes, “What happened today was all my fault. I should have listened. We should have all stayed home and spent the day together. But we didn’t. Because of me,” in order to foreshadow the events of the chapter. Finally, there is a reading group guide at the end of the book with discussion questions, encouraging students to share their feelings on the book and discuss important dispositions. This book teaches children and even teachers how not to act and provides models of how to act. The central message of this story is that students with disabilities have unique abilities that make them who they are. ( )
  kfield9 | May 11, 2014 |
This book shows readers that you can overcome adversity. Born with cerebral palsy, Melody is unable to speak and has little control over her body, but her mind is always working. Despite her brilliance, most assume the 11 year old is mentally challenged because of her condition until she finds a way to communicate the things that are trapped inside her head. Melody’s character development is amazing, as it shows readers that no one should judge another person based on their appearance. This book also teachers an important lesson to its readers. The daily difficulties that Melody has to face make it clear that she has to work incredibly hard for all of her achievements. This shows young readers that you have to work hard to achieve what you want. Overall, this book shows that children with special needs can be just as intelligent as those without special needs and that you need to treat them equally. ( )
  fwaldm1 | May 11, 2014 |
16. Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (2010, 296 pages, Read Mar 8-11)

Surprising good juvenile fiction. Not sure why I was surprised. It has a great setting, a good enough plot and just came across as really thoughtfully done. The premise is Melody Brooks, a tween in middle school who suffers from cerebral palsy, meaning she can't really move and can't talk. She narrates the book as an intelligent observer unable to communicate with the world around her, which is both sad and fascinating. Many juvenile books don't seem to take themselves very seriously. They have enough to get a young readers pulled in, with lots of silly humor, and few emotional punches and then a happy ending. This was nothing like that. It's a serious work exceptionally well done and gives the reader a lot to think about. And I appreciated a juvenile book with an uncomfortable ending. ( )
  dchaikin | Apr 21, 2014 |
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:07 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible