Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:children's literature, fiction, disabilities, read 2013

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

"Out of My Mind" is a spectacular read. It tells the story of an eleven-year-old named Melody who has cerebral palsy. It's told in her point-of-view as she goes through her life, primarily her ventures to acquire new technology to be able to speak. She has many physical limitations and cannot speak herself. She's extremely intelligent, though, which often leads to great frustration. Being that its told from her point-of-view, the reader is able to really see the extent of her struggles and relate to her. Being able to make someone with such a seemingly-drastic disability so intelligent and relatable is an incredible thing to do and I applaud Draper's work in this regard. The language is just the right balance of simple and advanced to be as engaging as possible. Because of this, the reader is found to be rooting for Melody along the way. I know I was pulled in from the start. There are no pictures being that it's a chapter book; however, the author paints such vivid pictures of characters and events that none are needed. The plot is chronological and the point-of-view never changes, which I think is the smartest move for a story like this. I was a little upset with the ending, however. It came off a bit rushed, and dealt with mature themes, making it ideal for older readers (other than the reasoning that it's a chapter book). Overall, though, I'm absolutely in love with this book. It'll last me a lifetime. ( )
  scorco2 | Sep 29, 2015 |
This book had all my fellow school librarians talking a few years back when it was one of the Bluebonnet nominees. I ran across a copy a couple of months ago and was motivated by the appearance of the Medicine Chest Bookbox to finally read it.

Melody can’t walk. She can’t talk. She can’t feed herself or go to the bathroom by herself. But she has a photographic memory and remembers everything she’s ever seen. If only she could share with others….

And then she learns about a new computer that can speak for her. It changes her life.

What a great story. It reminds me a lot of another recent children’s story that I loved, Wonder. A story that can build empathy, I think. ( )
  debnance | Sep 27, 2015 |
Book Response #4
“Out of My Mind” by Sharon M. Draper follows Melody Brooks, an elementary school aged girl who was born with cerebral palsy. Melody has little control over her body, is non-verbal, and has a wheelchair. Since she could never communicate, people assumed she was not as intelligent as she is until she got a computer that would speak for her. The book follows Melody through her early years creating a real perspective to readers about what it’s like to be stuck in one’s head. Reading about what it’s like as a person with a disability is extremely valuable to children and young readers because they will comprehend the text and relate to Melody, creating an understanding for those with disabilities they meet in their lives. For this reason, I would have my students read this book. The lessons of patience and perspective are priceless for those who this book is their first exposure to disabilities. The book is also inspiring because although Melody faced many challenges, she overcame many to better her mind and spirit. Students facing challenges of their own may find strength in reading about how Melody triumphed, like when she succeeded in training for the trivia competition. ( )
  bboyd7 | Sep 25, 2015 |
Out of my Mind is an excellent and very rewarding chapter book that teaches a lot of very valuable lessons. The book was broken down into small easy to read chapters that would help students read the book piece by piece and get through it at their own pace. The book also does an excellent job at introducing the main characters and helping the reader to truly understand the main character Melody since the book is entirely written from her perspective. The book makes children and adults think more deeply about the people around them by the detail it goes into about Melodies life while keeping the book very light through her frequent use of sarcasm. This book also has an excellent use of figurative language in the way Melody describes her world especially with her connections of music to colors and her in depth memory of everything that happens to her. I also feel that unlike some narratives this one has a very clear plot and an excellent climax that keeps the reader interested up until the end. The lesson of this story is to show acceptance and kindness toward people who may be different than us. This is a very important lesson for children because it is easy to look down on people who are different because that is what society tends to do, but that doesn’t make it right. I think this is an excellent book for children of all ages. ( )
  ccarpe13 | Sep 24, 2015 |
Monti C. Katrib
EDUC 417.006
Reading Log #3
Out of My Mind
Written by: Sharon M. Draper
Published by: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2010)

This book was absolutely beautiful in every way a book could be, and I loved it! Probably the most interesting thing about this book is the fact that it is written in first person, however the main character herself is non-verbal. Melody introduces herself to the reader at the beginning of chapter 2 when she states, “I can’t talk. I can’t walk. I can’t feed myself or take myself to the bathroom. Big bummer.” With being said, however, Melody throughout the book is just like any other eleven year old girl who uses words like “bummer” and “duh” and phrases like “That’s tight” and “That’s what’s up!”, in this sense she is even more relatable to young girls entering adolescence. I really liked Draper’s character development in this book and I think it adds a lot to the story and message she is trying to tell the reader. Melody, especially, is beautifully developed throughout the book, and I grew to be very fond of Melody almost as if she was a friend. One way that Draper develops Melody is through her use and love of colors and how she uses colors to describe what she is thinking, or seeing. For example Melody states that, “There is nothing cute about a pink wheelchair. Pink doesn’t change a thing.” to show that even though she may like pink, it doesn’t change the fact that she uses a wheelchair. The language Draper used in this book was extremely descriptive and relevant to the main character and I think the fact that she wrote it in the first person adds so much depth to the story. The message I got from this story is how important it is to not give up on yourself or others, and to treat people with kindness because at the end of the day everyone struggles with something you may just not know it. I would recommend this book to anyone! ( )
  mkatri1 | Sep 15, 2015 |
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

118 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,671,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible