Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:klarsenmd
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:children's literature, fiction, disabilities, read 2013

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Recently added byAdorablyBookish, HeatherMoss, davidgn, private library, AKP1516, KHMSLibrary, blueberry-tea
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

my middle school patrons and I love this book

I loved this book because I understood the main character, Melody, who has cerebral palsy and is unable to speak, yet is highly intelligent. draper does a great job of getting the reader to feel what Melody feels and to empathize with her. The stakes in the story are high enough that you want to keep reading, and not falsely trumped up, as some middle grades can be. There is no unnecessary death to grab the reader through. rather, the normal ups and downs of a fifth grader told through an extraordinary lens. I would recommend this book to any middle school reader who enjoys complex characters, and a realistic yet unusual story well- told. this book will stay with you because it will expand your understanding of the human experience.
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
my middle school patrons and I love this book

KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
A powerful and must read for all students 5th grade and above. Melody, the main character, has a photographic memory and is by far the smartest student in her middle school. However, no one knows how smart she is as she has cerebral palsy and is mute and has no way to communicate all her knowledge.

The book follows Melody's plight through middle school and all the drama that occurs around her. She starts in a special needs class that does not challenge her and it is not until she receives a computer that talks for her does everyone realize how smart she is. She quickly joins the Quiz team and everyone, well almost everyone, is elated to have her on the team. Some team members are worried about the perception of having a special needs person on the team. (Melanie is unable to feed herself, etc.)

Melanie's growth through her pure determination of being able to communicate allows her to develop friendships and deal with normal middle school friendship pain and betrayal.

This is a must read book for people of all ages, young adults and adults alike. ( )
  StephanieFeist | Jul 6, 2015 |
This is a must for intermediate classrooms to teach non judgement, acceptance, and kindness.
  emaloney5 | Jun 9, 2015 |
cerebral palsy, brilliant, different, acceptance, disability
  elindseyziegler | May 30, 2015 |
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,030,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible