Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:children's literature, fiction, disabilities, read 2013

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (247)  Catalan (1)  All languages (248)
I really liked reading this book. I liked the character development with Melody (main character) and how she overcomes her Cerebral Palsy. Her parents know how smart she is as well as her neighbor Ms. V. Ms. V watches Melody while her parents are at work and she encourages Melody to learn and even teaches her how to read. Melody has limited movement in her arm and can make grunt noises but is unable to talk. Ms. V sets up a communication board so Melody can point to things she needs such as bathroom. When she starts school, she is in an inclusion classroom. To her she is in class with “normal
kids. This makes her happy. She makes some new friends, especially her one-on-one aide Catherine. Catherine helps Melody take full advantage of all of her classes and even helps her acquire a new communication computer. This becomes a game changer when she is able to prove to others how smart she really is. The class has an opportunity to go to Washington D.C. to participate in a national quiz show. Since some of the students, particularly Claire, go out to breakfast and don’t invite Melody. When Melody and her mom get to the airport they realize their flight is delayed. There is a big snowstorm that is currently hitting the D.C. area and no flights are getting in or going out. Her mother later finds out, through the flight attendant, that the group had taken an earlier flight and neglected to tell Melody or her mother. The team wound up losing and realized they needed/should have had Melody there with them. Everyone realizes just how smart she is and they should stop looking at her as a disability and start looking at her as an actual person. It is after this experience that she decides to leave her inclusion classroom. I also like the way the author wrote the story. It is written in Melody’s perspective with the type of language someone her age would say and ways in which she sees the world. I like how the author tells you the impact Melody’s disability has on everyone and the impact Melody has on those around her. The big picture of this chapter book is to look past someone’s disability and remember there is a person. This person has a heart, is intelligent, and just wants to feel “normal.” The parents want their daughter to just be included. ( )
  JennyRiesett | Oct 17, 2016 |
This book can be considered an eye opener to many. I think this would be a good book to read for students because people and children can be very cruel to others who aren't like them. I have a cousin who is different from the rest of the family so this book was very emotional but nice for me to read. ( )
  Tiarra16 | Oct 7, 2016 |
Out of My Mind is a story of a girl named Melody who faces challenges bigger than most people can imagine. Her day to day life is so different from everyone around her, but she still manages to come out on top. The book is a wonderful, easy read and tells the story of a girl who overcomes adversity. This book can open the eyes of people and change their views on people with special needs. This book helps make a very important point that even if life gives you challenges you can still overcome and do whatever you set your mind to. I would highly recommend putting this book in any middle school or high school classroom library. ( )
  audrarye27 | Oct 5, 2016 |
I absolutely loved reading this book. First, the use of first person point of view made reading this story very emotional. I loved how the main character's mom always stuck up for her and noticed how intelligent she was, even when the doctor categorized her as mentally retarded. In addition, this book has pushed me to broaden my perspectives on my abilities. Sometimes we take what seem like simple, given abilities, such as speaking, for granted. This book has truly made me appreciate the fact that I can talk and communicate with others on a daily basis. ( )
  vziolk1 | Oct 3, 2016 |
"Out of My Mind" is a beautiful journey of adversity, finding yourself for any reader and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Melody, a girl with severe cerebral palsy, is filled with words, ideas, happiness, anger and love yet has "never spoken a single word." I mostly enjoyed this book so much because it's felt so real. She was torn down by doctors, teachers, schoolmates and adored by her family and friends like family. The emotion was real and most importantly, the plot was real and lacked an unrealistic fairy tale ending. I'd recommend this book who wants longs for insight of disabilities they don't understand. ( )
  eshiel3 | Oct 3, 2016 |
This book could be considered an eye opener to many. I think this would be a good book to read for teenage students because at that age everyone is different and sometimes kids can be cruel to children who aren't like them. I have a friend who has cerebral palsy so this book was very emotional but quite nice for me to read.
added by m.marie.g | editMSU AdolLit, Michelle Green
Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

138 wanted2 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,700,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible