Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:klarsenmd
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:children's literature, fiction, disabilities, read 2013

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (241)  Catalan (1)  All languages (242)
I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked it because the point of view was very thought inducing and intriguing. The book was written from Melody's point of view, I girl with severe cerebral palsy. She is extremely frustrated because although her intellectual levels are extremely high, she has no way to communicate any of it to others, she is literally trapped in her body. I have never read a book from that point and it created a lot of interest. I didn't like the book because there was no great resolve at the end of the book. While reading, I think that most readers want some type of closure to the conflict or to end on a good note. However, in this book the end did not provide this feeling which I found to be particularly frustrating. You begin to sympathize for Melody a lot, but at the end she is still trapped without a way to demonstrate her full potential and knowledge. Overall, the book was very thought inducing but left me with a feeling of hopelessness. ( )
  vrobey1 | Sep 28, 2016 |
In my opinion this was a good effective book for older students or advance 3rd-4th graders. The language made this book very effective because it is clear and descriptive and it does a good job and conveying to the reader what Melody is really thinking or going through. "I may not be able to make clear sounds, but I can make a lot of noise... I screeched because I couldn't talk and tell her to shut up. And that made me cry because I'd never be able to tell anybody what I was really thinking." (pg. 54) The language is very clear and descriptive. The words are written in the perfect order/pace to make the reader feel along with Melody what she is going through. The organized writing paired with the clear descriptive language make the emotions jump off the page and makes this book easy to connect to if you are reading it. The book also forced readers to deal with very tough issues- loneliness, disabilities, unfairness, tragedy, and bullying. But even with dealing with these very difficult issues the book was fun to read and it made these topics and approachable. It touched on each issue and gave information.events to make readers think about the issues and address them but it did not make the topics overwhelming or make the reader uncomfortable which can happen if tough issues are pushed too hard onto the reader. The book was thought provoking and lead to meaningful reading and lessons. The plot also aided in this books effectiveness. It had so many twists and turns that it kept the reader interested and engaged. The reader wants to keep reading to find out what happens. There are also such highs and lows emotion wise in this book that it keeps the reader reading because it is so suspenseful and the reader wants to know if it ends happy or sad because at many points the reader is not sure which way it is going to turn out. For example when she is trying out for the team the reader is not sure if she will make it or not and it is very suspenseful! It is also very tense when Penny gets ran over, the reader does not know if she is going to be ok or not and it is very hard to keep reading because it is so emotional. The conflicts eventually all resolve and it ends on a happy note, the organization in the plot/story-line is excellent and the events happen at the perfect time to move the story along. The message of the story is to never give up and always have faith. Even when Melody was left at home by her team she still persevered and wanted to go to school and when Penny was hurt she still stayed strong for her parents and sister. Melody is a great role model and really shows readers that anything is possible if you put your mind to it and do not give up. ( )
  cduboi2 | Sep 26, 2016 |
“Out of my Mind” is a story about Melody, an 11-year-old girl with severe cerebral palsy. It is narrated by Melody, although, as she puts it, “I have never spoken one single word”. As Melody brought me through her difficult and frustrating life, I felt an overwhelming sense of empathy and understanding for not only her, but for every soul who has so much to say but no medium to say it. She was condemned as “severely brain-damaged and profoundly retarded” by her doctor because she couldn’t use her words to pass the aptitude test. This book brought to light the many flaws in the medical diagnostics system as well as the average public school system, which would have had Melody reciting her ABC’s when she was capable of writing essays. Finally, Melody is given a contraption which allows her to communicate, allowing her to say “I love you” to her parents for the first time. I felt this moment was of particular significance because any parent who reads this can identify with the feelings that these fictional characters expressed, although they didn’t feel fictional at all. She shows her intelligence over and over again, to the surprise (and sometimes dismay) of her parents, teachers, and peers. She answers trivia way beyond her years, showing everyone she is much more that her body gives her credit for. She eventually makes the Wizkids team to compete against other schools. This is the story of the triumph of a little girl who never gave up on what she knew she was capable of. This book brings you through what it is like through the eyes of those who are ignored and judged by their diagnosis and appearance, and has certainly enlightened me. I would recommend this book for grades 4-5th grade.
  btadde1 | Sep 21, 2016 |
Wow! What an inspiring story.... Although this story is based on a fictional character, it is not difficult to imagine that Melody represents many disabled individuals that live within our communities and have to deal with challenges that are similar or even worse to Melody's. I would highly recommend this book for everyone - both young and old - because it opens your mind to tolerance and understanding. Even though some people have disabilities (no matter how small or large) each person is still a person with feelings and hopes. Everyone deserves kindness and a friend. I was also extremely glad that the author, Sharon Draper, created Melody as a strong and independent character to show that overcoming difficulties actually helps a person to grow and mature and develop internal strength that continuous success does always leave room for. Amazing Book! ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
Melody is brilliant, she has a photographic memory, and can remember everything she has ever experienced but she can’t speak or walk. Melody has cerebral palsy. She is dismissed by her school mates but she refuses to be defined by cerebral palsy and she is determined to show them what she is made of. This is an eye opening book.
  CindyNeils | Jul 29, 2016 |
Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind

To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

138 wanted2 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,196,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible