Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:children's literature, fiction, disabilities, read 2013

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (204)  Catalan (1)  All languages (205)
In my opinion, this is a great book that every child should read while they are in school. I believe this for many reasons. First, the main Character, Melody, is extremely well developed. Even though most of the readers might not have Cerebral Palsy, we can get a strong feeling of what it might be like. The author does this by creating very descriptive experiences, like when she gets frustrated about the classroom snowman or about her inclusion classrooms. Similarly, the point of view also helps develop this book into a well written story. If this story was in any other point of view, like her little sister, the reader would not get a true sense of what it would be like to have Cerebral Palsy. In addition, this book pushes readers to think about tough issues in the classroom. Not only is it a book for children can read, but future teachers as well because it makes readers think about the way a student with a disability should be treated in the school system. One of the weakest points of this book, however, was the plot. Since the book talked so much about the frustrations of Cerebral Palsy, I feel like it needed a happy ending. But with Melody missing the competition and Penny getting hit by a car, I don't feel like it had that at all. The main idea in this story is that people sometimes underestimate how much a student with a disability is capable of, and we should never assume they can't learn just as much as everyone else. ( )
  CSoude3 | Feb 9, 2016 |
This book was not only enjoyable, but eye opening for multiple reasons. For starters, the main character depicted what it was like to be a slave to your own body, unable to do what the mind wanted because the body was motionless and trapped in a wheelchair. As a future special educator, this was eye opening because it was a reminder that students need to been seen beyond their physical appearance in order to help them reach their full potential. Like Melody, the body and the mind can be disconnected yet there are beautiful and impressive things that the mind can still do. The book was also eye opening to peer discrimination and even bullying that takes place in the schools when students have different abilities. Melody was the star of the academic team yet left behind because her physical barrier was seen as a hindrance to the team. It reminded me of the life skills students in my elementary school and how my peers would go out of their way to make sure they weren’t on the same team in gym class with them. The book was detailed in a way that allowed me to feel what Melody was feeling during each challenge she faced, causing the entire story to have a deeper in pact because I, as the reader, could connect with her emotionally as if I had met her before and saw her struggles and triumphs in real life. ( )
  kkamin5 | Feb 8, 2016 |
I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because it was magnificently written in a way allowed people of all ages to understand what it is like to not have a voice. There is much meaningful lessons that are made throughout this book. The author was abel to reveal the struggles an individual with cerebral palsy suffers with by opening the doors of a girls mind who may be physically disabled, but certainly not mentally. She tells the story of her life as she grows up in a world that does not fully understand her and shares the emotions, feelings, and thoughts in such fine detail. By reading the accurate obstacles, ups, and downs Melody faces while having cerebral palsy, the reader's perspective becomes broader as well inspired to be more accepting, appreciative, and caring towards others. Melody's story is informative and teaches readers how it's okay to treat students with special needs just like they treat everyone else. Melody proves that there is so much more to her than her disabilities. The quote "It's what's on the inside that counts" is very well portrayed in this book as Melody's disabilities do not define her character. There is much suspense, as the language is full of decretive detail and allowed me to feel emotionally attached to the story throughout the entire book. I enjoyed the book being written in first person point of view, to allow Melody to share exactly how she felt during different occasions of her life. It made me feel as if me and her were the only ones to share the treasures she composed in her mind. My favorite part of the book was when Melody's mother fought for her right to have an education. Melody was lucky to have two extremely supportive parents who wanted nothing but the best for their children. The simple phrase "Let's get busy!" Melody's mother announced after fighting the doctor whom informed her that Melody should be sent away, gave me chills. The determination of the mother father and Ms. V is what Melody needed in order to become who she was at the end of the book. Melody will always have to struggle a little bit harder than most people during her life, but something about Melody's inner strength and persistence is truly heartening and something anyone can learn from. ( )
  Jcomfo1 | Feb 8, 2016 |
In my opinion “Out of My Mind” is a fantastic book. I believe that everyone should read it because we can learn from Melody, the main character. One reason I like this book is because of the main character Melody. The author does a great job describing Melody as a person and as a student. The book gives the reader a different perspective of a person who has a severe disability. It teaches us to appreciate those that are different from us and to embrace differences. In the words of Melody, the main character, “I have spastic bilateral quadriplegia, also known as cerebral palsy. It limits my body, but not my mind.” “But a person is so much more than the name of a diagnosis on a chart!” Melody explains that even though she unable to talk or move she is extremely smart with feelings. ( )
  eranda2 | Feb 7, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. First, the author used descriptive and clear language, which made the readers feel like they were living in Melody's world with her. From the start of the book to the end, the author had the audience constantly engaged. For example, the author wrote "Going to the bathroom at school just plain sucks. I have to be taken out of my chair, lifted onto the toilet, and held there so I don't fall. Then someone has to wipe me when I'm finished." This allows the reads to visualize the struggles Melody goes though everyday. Additionally, the characters were believable and well developed throughout the span of the book. For instance, Melody struggled to find her place and voice in the beginning chapters but manages to make a name for herself by the end of the book. The big idea of this story is that appearances should not have an impact on our view of other’s capabilities and that bullying is not acceptable in any way. Almost everyone judged Melody by how she looked and acted, including doctors. This impacted Melody in many ways, some good and some bad. Furthermore, teachers and classmates bullied and sat back and watched as Melody got bullied because of how she looked and how she acted. This is completely unacceptable and standing by and doing nothing about Melody being bullied is just as bad as being the bully. It is very important that students learn these big ideas from this book. ( )
  mennis2 | Feb 5, 2016 |
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

139 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,198,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible