Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Member:klarsenmd
Title:Out of My Mind
Authors:Sharon M. Draper
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:children's literature, fiction, disabilities, read 2013

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

This book was great, until the end which ruined the entire book. The book was well written and very descriptive. It described Melody and her family and her life so that the reader could envision what she looked like and could feel what she was feeling. I felt like it was so well written that I was feeling the feelings myself. I enjoyed Melody as the main character. I felt bad for her but wanted to keep reading to see what happened to her. I did not like the plot of the book and the ending. I thought it was horrible and sad. How could Melody's mom run over her sister with a car, how could everyone leave her and make fun of her just one thing was worse than the next. The central message of the story was to be strong and that life could be worse so make the best of what you have. ( )
  sfinke5 | Apr 20, 2015 |
5th grade girl, cebral palsy, whelchair bound, cannot speak or write - technology helps her learn to communicate the brilliant mind she has. Accepting others, understanding others, do not judge others by appearances or visual judgement of disabilities.
  mbuxton | Apr 20, 2015 |
Melody is a fifth grader with cerebral palsy, and a gifted mind. Her greatest challenge is communicating her thoughts to others, because she has much to say. When she finally gets access to a Medi-talker, her whole world changes.
  mlbailey77 | Apr 16, 2015 |
I loved this book for a variety of reasons. To start, the plot was interesting for all readers because this story shows readers that a person can overcome adversity. Born with cerebral palsy, Melody, the main character, is unable to speak and has little control over her body, but her mind is always working. Despite her brilliance, most assume the 11 year old is mentally challenged because of her condition until she finally finds a way to communicate the things that are trapped inside her head. Melody’s character development throughout the novel is amazing because her perseverance shows readers that no one should judge another person based on their appearance. This book also teaches an important lesson to its readers. The daily difficulties that Melody has to face make it clear that she has to work incredibly hard for all of her achievements and her efforts are commendable. The character of Melody is very believable and relatable for those who are also struggling with disabilities. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and it opened me up to a person's point of view that is struggling with a mental disability and I have never gotten the chance to really think about what it must be like. The main message the story sends to readers is that everyone should be treated equally and no one should be judged by their looks because every person is multifaceted with positive qualities, even if they are not physically evident. ( )
  mpotts1 | Apr 7, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. It was very unique and interesting that the story was told from the perspective of someone who has limited physical mobility and is nonverbal. At some points in the story, I found myself to be very frustrated with some of the characters. I strongly disliked how some of Melody's classmates would make fun of her and teachers would pretend that she is invisible, but I guess that's sometime the reality of living with a disability. I also was very frustrated at the fact that Melody's school provided little to no services for her and her classmates who also had disabilities. As an elementary as well as special education major, I was appalled at the way some of the teachers treated Melody and the lack of resources they provided her. I even found myself thinking that for a child as bright as Melody, her parents should have bought the Medi-Talker well before fifth grade. I also did not like the ending at all, it was very sad and disappointing. To me, it seemed like the author wanted the reader to know that people with disabilities cannot win or be accepted no matter how hard they try. Overall, I thought the narrations were well-written, but some things I just did not agree with.
  amanna2 | Apr 7, 2015 |
To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:07 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,736,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible