Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Out of My Mind (edition 2010)

by Sharon M. Draper

Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:children's literature, fiction, disabilities, read 2013

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (meggyweg)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Struggling in communities that do not view them positively, the two unique characters in these novels strive for friendship and acceptance. These realistic stories are at times sad but are ultimately hopeful.
    Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea (kaledrina)
    Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (kaledrina)
    Dibs in Search of Self by Virginia M. Axline (marcejewels)

English (233)  Catalan (1)  All languages (234)
Extraordinary ( )
  ibkennedy | Jun 10, 2016 |
ILL but no CC
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
This was heart-rending and inspiring. Melody is a strong, assertive character who has been dealt a rough hand by life. The close adults in her life help and guide her to discover what she is capable of, but it is not an easy road. This novel challenges our notion of what is normal and examines prejudices and attitudes to disabled people. There is no happily-ever-after ending, but we are sure that Melody will be OK due to her resilience and the love of her family and friends. A great read!

mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
This is a young adult book with a lot of heart. Eleven year old Melody has a lot to say but she is unable to talk or walk. She has cerebral palsy and is confined to a wheelchair. Melody is the smartest kid in her school but most people; her teachers, classmates, and even her doctors don't think she's even capable of learning. The first half or so of this book we spend inside of Melody's head and it's a real eye opener to feel what she feels. Then, something happens that make it possible for her to speak what's on her mind and she certainly has a lot to say. I loved this book and can recommend it not only for young adults but for not so young adults as well. ( )
  Dianekeenoy | May 23, 2016 |
Out of my mind is a good book. Its about a young girl, melody. she has cerebral palsy. She can not move so she lives in a wheelchair. She also cannot speak. Her mind though, runs wild with imagination. Melody hates her special ed classes. she eventually gets a talking computer that helps her speak. She eventually gets to be in a special ed inclusion class. This is a good book with a good message, it talks about a touchy subject, disabilities. This would be a great book to use to open students minds to kinds who are different than they are. ( )
  lsavar3 | May 11, 2016 |
Out of My Mind was a book that put things in perspective for me. This novel is about a girl name Melody who is not able to speak or walk. Melody is a 12 year old girl who is was diagnosed with Cerbal Palsy, throughout this book it covers so many themes such as, courage, empathy, perseverance and so much more. We see the obstacles Melody is faced throughout the novel and how she is treated by those around her. Many people in the novel judge Melody by her disability instead of an actual person. The way this book put things in perspective for me personally was how we take for granted the things we are able to do and how there are cruel teachers and classmates out there. This novel was a prime example of how not all teachers are the best. I think this shows how amazing Melody is as a person and how she overcomes what is thrown at her. Melody is such a strong kind hearted girl who just wants to fit in like everyone else. It also shows the love and support of her family and close friends. They love Melody unconditionally regardless of her disability. I think this is a book that all people should read not just education majors. This novel reminds you of how people are different, but love them for them despite how different they may be. I would highly recommend this novel as it brought so many emotions to me as a person.
added by reganbounds | editOut of My Mind

To my daughter, Wendy Michelle Draper, with love
Words. I'm surrounded by thousands of words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141697170X, Hardcover)

Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always recording. Always. And there's no delete button. She's the smartest kid in her whole school—but no one knows it. Most people--her teachers and doctors included--don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.

Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind--that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it.

From multiple Coretta Scott King Award winner Sharon M. Draper comes a story full of heartache and hope. Get ready to meet a girl whose voice you'll never, ever forget.

A Note to Readers from Author Sharon Draper

People often ask me, "What was your inspiration for Out of my Mind?" I reply, "All great stories emerge from deep truths that rest within us." But the real truth of a story often can be found in places that not even the author has dared to explore. I suppose the character of Melody came from my experiences in raising a child with developmental difficulties. But Melody is not my daughter. Melody is pure fiction--a unique little girl who has come into being from a mixture of love and understanding. Out of my Mind is the story of a ten-year-old-girl who cannot walk or talk. She has spirit, determination, intelligence and wit, and no one knows it. But from buildings that are not wheelchair--accessible to classmates who make fun of her she finds a strength within herself she never knew existed.

I was fiercely adamant that nobody feel sorry for Melody. I wanted her to be accepted as a character and as a person, not as a representative for people with disabilities. Melody is a tribute to all the parents of disabled kids who struggle, to all those children who are misunderstood, to all those caregivers who help every step of the way. It's also written for people who look away, who pretend they don't see, or who don't know what to say when they encounter someone who faces life with obvious differences. Just smile and say hello!

--Sharon M. Draper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:41 -0400)

Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

139 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,756,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible