Tim Burton's The nightmare before Christmas…

Tim Burton's The nightmare before Christmas (edition 2005)

by Jun Asuka, Tim Burton

Title:Tim Burton's The nightmare before Christmas
Authors:Jun Asuka
Other authors:Tim Burton
Info:New York, N.Y. : Disney Press, c2005.
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Tags:source=TheAttic, cost=50, retail=899, manga, halloween, Halloween Town, routine, emptiness, Christmas Town, trick or treat, Christmas Eve, Sandy Claws, scary Christmas, chilling New Year, abduction, contentment

Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas (Manga) by Tim Burton

Absolutely love this manga. It brings across the existential crisis that Jack is going through, and brings new dimensions to the story told in the movie. If you are a fan of the movie and philosophically leaning manga, then you must read this. The art is beautiful, and truly captures the spirit of the film.

Received for review ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Oct 21, 2016 |
I was eager to read yet another version of my Halloween favorite. However, I was disappointed by this manga version, as it lacked the atmosphere and fascination of the movie version.

First of all: the colors. I understand that a lot of mangas are done in b/w, but it simply does not work for this story, where the colors are a great part of the charm. The contrast between the brilliant colors of Christmas land and the darker shades of Halloween land, which perfectly mirror the different moods, is completely lost.

Furthermore, while the story and all text seems to be very close to the original, there were several pages where I would have had a hard time to understand what was going on in detail had I not already watched the movie. With some pictures I had a real problem figuring out what they were supposed to show.

Unfortunately, the magic of the original story is totally missing from this colorless retelling.

(I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review) ( )
  misspider | Oct 19, 2016 |
I received this book free from Netgalley in return for a fair and honest review.

This manga was okay. I wasn't overly amazed by it. The illustrations are well done, but I think it needed tightening up a bit. ( )
  Arkrayder | Oct 10, 2016 |

Tim Burtonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Asuka, Junmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Muell, JasonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jack Skellington’s got the blues. He’s sick and tired of his hometown holiday, Halloween, and is longing for something new. But when his soul searching leads to his good-intentioned kidnapping of Santa, things start getting pretty hairy! Now, for the first time, fans can read the story of how Jack almost ruined Christmas in manga form. This Japanese comic retelling of one of Disney’s most enduring films is the coolest thing to hit the shelves this season.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

The story of Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king, who decides to bring the magic of Christmas back to Halloween Town.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,840,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible