Tim Burton's The nightmare before Christmas…

Tim Burton's The nightmare before Christmas (edition 2005)

by Jun Asuka, Tim Burton

Member:bertilak
Title:Tim Burton's The nightmare before Christmas
Authors:Jun Asuka
Other authors:Tim Burton
Info:New York, N.Y. : Disney Press, c2005.
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:source=TheAttic, cost=50, retail=899, manga, halloween, Halloween Town, routine, emptiness, Christmas Town, trick or treat, Christmas Eve, Sandy Claws, scary Christmas, chilling New Year, abduction, contentment

Disney Manga Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas by Jun Asuka

Pros: great artwork, good condensing of the story, one scene is moved creating more tension

Cons: abrupt opening, inclusion of lyrics makes for disjointed storytelling

Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of Halloween Town, is tired of his job. When he stumbles across a doorway to another holiday land, he comes up with a plan to take over Christmas.

This is a manga version of the Disney film The Nightmare Before Christmas, based on Tim Burton’s children’s story of the same name. It follows the film exactly, even going so far as to reproduce song lyrics and dialogue verbatim.

I enjoyed the stylized manga artwork. The characters had a vibrancy and motion to them.

The story is condensed well, keeping the essentials but not including everything. One scene towards the end was moved to a different place, creating significantly more tension than that scene has in the film.

The opening is quite abrupt, starting with the line about discovering where holidays come from rather than the lead in lines the movie has.

Unfortunately the inclusion of lyrics made some dialogue and narration feel clunky and disjointed. There’s unnecessary repetition in some scenes, while others have phrases that go nowhere. The scene where Lock, Shock, and Barrel discuss plans for kidnapping Sandy Claws goes like this:
“I heard he has razor sharp claws!”
“We’ll kidnap Mr. Sandy Claws!”
“First we’re going to set some bait.”
“I can’t wait to see how scary he is.”
“But you know… Mr. Oogie Boogie Might be even scarier.”
In the film, the bait line in the song is followed by the rest of the plan to use the bait to catch Santa. Here, it’s mentioned but not referred to again, making it feel out of place. The end of the comic has fewer song lyrics, and the storytelling becomes more coherent. Instead of forcing one or two lyric lines into the text and explaining what the missing lyrics would have, the writer was able to simply tell a good story.

Despite my annoyance with the text at times, it is a good physical rendition of the film, for those who love it. ( )
  Strider66 | Nov 29, 2016 |
I may be the only person left alive who hasn't seen this movie.The first time it came on television I do remember starting to watch it but for some reason switched it over. I love the art, though, which any person who ventures into the world of merchandise has seen. The art is great in this manga retelling and from what I can tell everyone looks exactly as they should. It is a decent story but doesn't make me want to watch the movie, as it has songs in it and I'm not partial to musicals. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 28, 2016 |
Tim Burton’s Nightmare before Christmas is one of my favourite movies partly because it combines two of my favourite holidays, Halloween and Christmas and partly because it is so visually stunning. It is, to a great extent, that second fact that made me less appreciative of the manga version, Disney Manga Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas, produced by Diamond Book Distributors, and adapted by Jun Akura. It is drawn in black and white and very well drawn I might add but it just didn’t have the same impact as the art of the movie version. As well, although in the parts of the story it reproduces, it stays very close to the original, much of the story is left out, not surprising of course but, had I not seen the movie (actually, several times), I’m not sure I could have easily followed the story. It didn’t, for example, really make clear who Jack Skellington was or why he was so depressed or, for that matter, pretty much who or what any of the characters were except perhaps Santa Claus. Perhaps that’s an inevitable result of adapting a book from a movie – sort of the same reason why it is so rare to see the reverse, a movie adaptation of a book, live up to the original story. To a certain extent, being released in a manga version felt kind of like a gimmick to cover up the problems of adaptation since so much of the movie’s appeal is visual both in the action as well as in the colouring.

Still, despite my criticisms, although I can’t say I love the book like I do the movie, I did enjoy it and I did appreciate the art. For fans of manga and for those who love the movie and are into collecting anything connected to it, this would be a great addition to their collection – something to think about with Christmas fast approaching.

Thanks to Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review ( )
  lostinalibrary | Nov 13, 2016 |
Absolutely love this manga. It brings across the existential crisis that Jack is going through, and brings new dimensions to the story told in the movie. If you are a fan of the movie and philosophically leaning manga, then you must read this. The art is beautiful, and truly captures the spirit of the film.

Received for review ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Oct 21, 2016 |
I was eager to read yet another version of my Halloween favorite. However, I was disappointed by this manga version, as it lacked the atmosphere and fascination of the movie version.

First of all: the colors. I understand that a lot of mangas are done in b/w, but it simply does not work for this story, where the colors are a great part of the charm. The contrast between the brilliant colors of Christmas land and the darker shades of Halloween land, which perfectly mirror the different moods, is completely lost.

Furthermore, while the story and all text seems to be very close to the original, there were several pages where I would have had a hard time to understand what was going on in detail had I not already watched the movie. With some pictures I had a real problem figuring out what they were supposed to show.

Unfortunately, the magic of the original story is totally missing from this colorless retelling.

(I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review) ( )
  misspider | Oct 19, 2016 |

Asuka, Junprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muell, JasonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jack Skellington’s got the blues. He’s sick and tired of his hometown holiday, Halloween, and is longing for something new. But when his soul searching leads to his good-intentioned kidnapping of Santa, things start getting pretty hairy! Now, for the first time, fans can read the story of how Jack almost ruined Christmas in manga form. This Japanese comic retelling of one of Disney’s most enduring films is the coolest thing to hit the shelves this season.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

The story of Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king, who decides to bring the magic of Christmas back to Halloween Town.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,640,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible