Deception by Jonathan Kellerman

Loved it. Had a surprise ending though. ( )
  chrissilu68 | May 23, 2015 |
Detective Milo Sturgis and investigator Alex Delaware tackle the case of a murdered teacher who before her death made a chilling DVD describing the sexual trauma she was suffering at the hands of three fellow teachers at her prestigious Los Angeles school. By the Edgar Award-winning author of True Detectives. 500,000 first printing. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 27, 2015 |
This was pretty good. However, the plot was predictable and the pace was slow except for the last hour. There was not as nuch tension in the story as I prefer. ( )
  hemlokgang | Oct 15, 2013 |
This was a pretty interesting story, and I enjoyed the narrator. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Review for readers outside the primary audience, and those who don't generally grocery store bestsellers.

I think it's generally accepted as good reviewing form to not downrate a book simply because it's not the book you thought it was, or the genre you usually read.

Ever since I got my e-reader, though, it happens to me all the time, since by the time I get back to the book that surely sounded interested when I bought/borrowed it I can't remember what exactly attracted me, and e-books don't seem to come with descriptions.

Given this is a paperback and a Kellerman, I knew exactly what I was getting into. I raided my mom's shelves for fluff. And it did it's job. In fact, it read almost exactly like a crime procedural tv drama. Law and Order type: not much personality on the part of the narrators and no humor. That's OK.

However: I couldn't tell for sure whether Alex Delaware was a man or a women for about ten pages. No, I've never read anything else in this series, and I'm pretty sure I've not read Kellerman (though it's certainly possible)> ( )
  MarieAlt | Mar 31, 2013 |
To Oscar
The woman had haunted eyes.

Her name is Elise Freeman, and her chilling cry for help—to whoever may be listening—comes too late to save her. On a DVD found near her lifeless body, the emotionally and physically battered woman chronicles a year-and-a-half-long ordeal of monstrous abuse at the hands of three sadistic tormentors. But even more shocking than the lurid details is the revelation that the offenders, like their victim, are teachers at one of L.A.’s most prestigious prep schools. With Elise now dead by uncertain means, homicide detective Milo Sturgis is assigned to probe the hallowed halls of Windsor Prep Academy. And if ever he could use Dr. Alex Delaware’s psychological prowess, it’s now.

From the get-go, this case promises to be an uphill climb for truth and a down and dirty fight for justice. Allegations of rape, assault, and possibly murder at this esteemed institution renowned for molding Ivy Leaguers make for a social and political time bomb—especially given that one of the students has connections high up in City Hall. As the scandal-conscious elite of L.A. close ranks around Windsor Prep, Alex and Milo must penetrate the citadel of wealth and scholarship to expose the hidden anguish, dirty secrets, and deadly sins festering among society’s manor-born. But power and position are not easily surrendered, for that’s when the best and the brightest turn brutal and ugly. Searching for predators among the privileged, Alex and Milo may well be walking into a highly polished death trap.

Homicide detective Milo Sturgis and psychologist Alex Delaware probe the hallowed halls of Windsor Prep Academy, one of L.A.'s most prestigious prep schools, searching for the killers of a murdered woman.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,869,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible