Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative?…

Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative? (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Mark Fisher (Author)

331950,015 (4.05)6
Member:jamesshelley
Title:Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative?
Authors:Mark Fisher (Author)
Info:Zero Books (2009), 81 pages
Collections:To read with Curious Public, Currently reading

Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative? by Mark Fisher (2009)

A deeply depressing book about a system that all of us are born into and that slowly seeps into every facet of our lives, even the one's we think are free from its influence. Mark Fisher is good at pointing out the stupidity of the system and at highlighting how it effects the contemporary culture with some interesting pop examples. But Fisher could only be suggesting that any of us can do anything about it in jest. ( )
  sunil_kumar | Apr 1, 2019 |
  sunil_kumar | Feb 12, 2019 |
A lot of questionable logic and the typical blindness brought on by Marxist thinking, but also many solid observations and some interesting points. 3.5/5. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Apr 27, 2018 |
This book nails the lie of 'capitalist realism' and pretty conclusively shows that the neo-liberal experiment, as introduced by Regan and Thatcher, is now mortally wounded.

The book is written in a readable style that encourages the average reader to get a deeper understanding of the underlying theory at the heart of government within most of the Western world but, as with so many of these books, it does fall down when it comes to seeing the way out of the maze and a return, or indeed an introduction to, a sane society.

Whilst some form of left leaning culture is the only way to an equable society, there is no suggestion as to how this may be accomplished without creating a dogmatic state control as per the Soviet experiment and, worse still, there is no suggestion as to how we move the man in the street from reluctant acceptance that austerity is a necessary evil and that the poor are somehow dragging them into penury, rather than the true state of things whereby the rich are getting richer at their expense. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Sep 10, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,736,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible