Where the Trains Turn by Pasi…

Where the Trains Turn (2000)

by Pasi Jääskeläinen

381298,882 (4)None

A rational middle-aged Finnish woman thinks about her late son and his obsession with trains. This has a wonderfully unique character voice. Here's an example (the narrator's son was out all night, while the narrator sat up worrying after him):

"I wasn’t able to utter anything for a while, so as not to start crying or screaming uncontrollably; I wasn’t able to even move, because I felt a compelling desire to seize the child and thoroughly shake him for scaring me like that.

Finally I said surprisingly calmly: “I’ll make you a cup of cocoa. You’ll drink it without a murmur and then go back to sleep. The camera stays here. We won’t talk any more about this, but if you do something like this once more, I won’t even ask you anything, I’ll make a stew of you while you sleep and sell you to that drunkard Traphollow for mink food. And with the money I get I’ll bribe Mr. Starling to close his eyes about your disappearance. And if anybody asks about you, I won’t admit you ever existed. Do we understand each other?”

Rupert stared at the camera with nostrils wide open. He pointed at it and whispered: “But there’s evidence in there!”

“Do we understand each other?” I insisted. My voice could have peeled an apple.

He struggled long with himself before he gave up and nodded."

But also, the magic in here is exceedingly slippery in a way I really appreciate. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Pasi Jääskeläinenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rantalaiho, LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruth, GregIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible