The Cove (FBI Series) by Catherine Coulter

The Cove (FBI Series) (edition 1996)

by Catherine Coulter

Member:kidylit
Title:The Cove (FBI Series)
Authors:Catherine Coulter
Info:Jove (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

The Cove by Catherine Coulter

The Cove by Catherine Coulter
Book #1 on FBI Thriller
2 Stars

Synopsis:
Sally Brainerd is on the run from an FBI agent, who believes she has information about her father’s murder, and from a sadistic doctor who wants to keep her quiet. She seeks sanctuary in a picturesque town called the Cove but strange things are happening there and the townsfolk are not what they seem. What is really going on in Sally’s life?

Review:
This is one of the worst plots I have ever read. It is ridiculously implausible and becomes seriously confusing with numerous disorienting transitions in location. The dialogue is stilted and the characters are like card board cutouts with no real development. The female lead is idiotic. Really, how many times can the same woman be abducted? She seems to be on a really slow learning curve. Even her name is puzzling – is she Sally or Susan?
I will not be continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
An escapee from a sanitarium, a hot FBI agent, and a crazy town, what more could you ask for in a book?! It definitely kept me on my toes. I loved it! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
AUTHOR: Coulter, Catherine
TITLE: The Cove
DATE READ: 05/27/15
RATING: 4,5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Romantic Suspense/ 1996/ 372 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE #1 in FBI series
CHARACTERS FBI special agent James Quinlan & Sally Brainerd daughter of murdered high-powered attorney Armory St. John of Washington, D.C.
TIME/PLACE 1990's / Oregon coast
FIRST LINES: Someone was watching her. She tugged on the black wig, flattening it against her ears, and quickly put on another coat of deep red lipstick, holding the mirror up so she could see behind her.
COMMENTS: Sally Brainerd is on the run. Her father a very public figure in Wash. D.C. was killed recently and since she is one of the last persons to have seen him, as well as making it known she does not like him, she is suspected of being his killer. She is innocent but thinks her mother may have finally had enough of his abuse and killed him and flees to protect her. She flees to her mother's sister's home on the coast of Oregon in a very small (and strange) town -- The Cove. She thinks she will be safe here w/ her aunt… The FBI have been tracking Armory St. John for various nefarious business dealings and are one step ahead of Sally. Sally is unsure who to trust due to her upbringing w/ an abusive father and a mother who would not stand up for herself. She is uncertain whether she can align herself w/ Quinlan or not.. There are quite a few twists in the story and it is a good read. I did try reading this quite awhile back but The Cove and its residents were so odd to me I could not get into it…this time it was easier for me to suspend belief and enjoyed the book. ( )
  pammykn | Jul 15, 2015 |
This is the first Coulter I have read in this series, and I loved it. It was quirky, funny, scary, and a few other adjectives I can't bring to mind right now. It is quirky in that the storyline is 'out there', but that is what makes it enjoyable.

There are two story lines running in tandem in the book. One, a story of power, politics, and how the most powerful are often the most sadistically cruel, vicious, and totally without morality. The main character, Sally, attempts to save her mother from her father, one of the said powerful sickos, only to become a victim herself.

The second storyline runs hand in hand with the first, when Sally flees from a horrific scene in her own home to her aunt's home in Oregon. This second storyline is even more twisted, in it's own way, and had me alternately cringing, gasping, and laughing hysterically.

No, it isn't "realistic" in tone - but, people, get a grip. This is a well developed story, with a ton of creativity, twists, turns, and fast action, sure to keep a quick mind engrossed and following along. As Oscar Wilde put it, "Consistency is the refuge of the unimaginative." And an unimaginative writer is definitely not one I wish to waste time with.

As for the haters, one in particular who raved about how Coulter didn't do her police and FBI research? Uh, hate to harsh your mellow, but with more than 10 years of police and forensics experience, I can tell you . . . if you don't know what you are talking about, it is usually wise to not speak. Especially when you open your mouth and stick your foot in all the way up to the hip.

If you like a story with lots of twists and turns, don't let the haters push you away.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Albert Einstein ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
This was too much like a soap opera for my tastes. I would have enjoyed it more if there was less cheesy romance and more actual crime solving and action. It was predictable, but even though I almost gave up on it a few times it did make me want to find out how it would end. I did like the epilogue. The dialogue was not well done and the writing style was not the greatest either. With the popularity of the author and series I did expect it to be better. Oh and it annoyed me that most people were referred to by their first name while she mostly used James Quinlan's last name. There was a lot of repetition too. Should have been at least 100 pages shorter. If I ever continue to read this series it will be quite some time in the future. ( )
  Barb_H | Dec 23, 2013 |

Catherine Coulterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515118656, Mass Market Paperback)

Catherine Coulter has written a truly suspenseful romance in this story of Sally Brainerd, hiding in a small town from the enemies who killed her father, and FBI agent James Quinlan, who believes she's the key to the murder he's trying to solve. Sally thinks she'll be safe in The Cove--but will she?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:05 -0400)

Sally Brainerd, daughter of the murdered Amory St. John, flees Washington, D.C., to seek sanctuary in the quaint little town called The Cove, pursued by undercover FBI agent James Quinlan, who believes that Sally holds the key to solving her father's murder.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,586,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible