The Cove (FBI Series) by Catherine Coulter

The Cove (FBI Series) (edition 1996)

by Catherine Coulter

Member:kidylit
Title:The Cove (FBI Series)
Authors:Catherine Coulter
Info:Jove (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

The Cove by Catherine Coulter

This is the first Coulter I have read in this series, and I loved it. It was quirky, funny, scary, and a few other adjectives I can't bring to mind right now. It is quirky in that the storyline is 'out there', but that is what makes it enjoyable.

There are two story lines running in tandem in the book. One, a story of power, politics, and how the most powerful are often the most sadistically cruel, vicious, and totally without morality. The main character, Sally, attempts to save her mother from her father, one of the said powerful sickos, only to become a victim herself.

The second storyline runs hand in hand with the first, when Sally flees from a horrific scene in her own home to her aunt's home in Oregon. This second storyline is even more twisted, in it's own way, and had me alternately cringing, gasping, and laughing hysterically.

No, it isn't "realistic" in tone - but, people, get a grip. This is a well developed story, with a ton of creativity, twists, turns, and fast action, sure to keep a quick mind engrossed and following along. As Oscar Wilde put it, "Consistency is the refuge of the unimaginative." And an unimaginative writer is definitely not one I wish to waste time with.

As for the haters, one in particular who raved about how Coulter didn't do her police and FBI research? Uh, hate to harsh your mellow, but with more than 10 years of police and forensics experience, I can tell you . . . if you don't know what you are talking about, it is usually wise to not speak. Especially when you open your mouth and stick your foot in all the way up to the hip.

If you like a story with lots of twists and turns, don't let the haters push you away.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Albert Einstein ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
This was too much like a soap opera for my tastes. I would have enjoyed it more if there was less cheesy romance and more actual crime solving and action. It was predictable, but even though I almost gave up on it a few times it did make me want to find out how it would end. I did like the epilogue. The dialogue was not well done and the writing style was not the greatest either. With the popularity of the author and series I did expect it to be better. Oh and it annoyed me that most people were referred to by their first name while she mostly used James Quinlan's last name. There was a lot of repetition too. Should have been at least 100 pages shorter. If I ever continue to read this series it will be quite some time in the future. ( )
  Barb_H | Dec 23, 2013 |
First in the series. Enjoyable. Fast paced. A different feel from CC's historicals or 80s romances. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |
The plot was ridiculous. The abusive father and a cold distant husband. The father with the help of the husband puts her in a santatarium so that he can continue to beat Sally's mother. The father is found on the living room floor by Sally dead (of course she picks up the bloody weapon) and everyone thinks she murdered her father. Sally manages to go on the run to her Aunt's house where she's in hiding and the aunt and her circle of friends are keeping her secret. Meanwhile an FBI agent has tracked her down and falls like a ton of bricks in love with her. She runs away again. It's almost a comedy. ( )
  Kathy89 | May 28, 2013 |

Leiahc | May 4, 2013 |

Catherine Coulterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515118656, Mass Market Paperback)

Catherine Coulter has written a truly suspenseful romance in this story of Sally Brainerd, hiding in a small town from the enemies who killed her father, and FBI agent James Quinlan, who believes she's the key to the murder he's trying to solve. Sally thinks she'll be safe in The Cove--but will she?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:18 -0400)

Sally Brainerd, daughter of the murdered Amory St. John, flees Washington, D.C., to seek sanctuary in the quaint little town called The Cove, pursued by undercover FBI agent James Quinlan, who believes that Sally holds the key to solving her father's murder.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,384,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible