A Step Farther Out by Jerry Pournelle

A Step Farther Out (original 1980; edition 1981)

by Jerry Pournelle

Member:GVassmer
Title:A Step Farther Out
Authors:Jerry Pournelle
Info:Ace (1981), Paperback
Collections:Vassmer Paper Media
Tags:SFF

A Step Farther Out by Jerry Pournelle (1980)

A Step Farther out is a collection of Science Essays published by Jerry Pournelle throughout the 1970s, and collected here together, with updates, and additional comments.

I enjoyed this collection a great deal. Pournelle has a gift for easy communication of difficult information to those with little understanding of science (like myself).

I did read the book over a 3 week period, it probably would have been a bit much for a single sitting.

It was published in 1979, so no doubt some scientific knowledge has changed in the last 31 years, but that did not reduce my enjoyment of the book.

I went into this off the back of Pournelles 'Endless Frontier' and 'Endless Frontier II' which mix Science articles, with SF and even poetry. That format worked even better because it broke up the pure science, with stories using the effects. Great! ( )
  cosmicdolphin | Mar 22, 2010 |
This is an excellent book and holds up well, even though the individual essays are currently between 30 & 34 years old. If most of the stuff he talks about could have been done at the time, why haven't we done it?
Why did Carter cut research funding for fusion? ( )
  Lirleni | Dec 28, 2008 |
For Jim Baen, an extraordinarily good friend and editor.
I want to show you marvels.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441785832, Mass Market Paperback)

Essays on Technology, Civilization, and saving the world by Galaxy Science Fiction Science Editor Jerry Pournelle, PhD. Preface by Larry Niven, and Foreword by A. E. Van Vogt. From the Niven Preface: "Jerry Pournelle is our to make the whole world rich... He's been building the future since I was in grade school, and he's still at it." Essays include "Survival With Style" and "That Buck Rogers Stuff," as well as excerpts from The Strategy of Technology.
From the Preface to the 2011 Edition: “We live in an age of marvels. Despite that, we feel a sense of impending doom.... That's still true... We could still go to space. We could still mine the asteroids. We could still take part in developing mankind’s vast future. Indeed, it is easier to do now than it would have been when I wrote these essays. The unrelenting enmity of the Soviet Union has been replaced by other threats, some of them severe, but none comparable to 26,000 nuclear warheads. We have computers and the Internet. There is free exchange of ideas throughout most of the world, and the information revolution relentlessly expands that area. We still face the threat of famine, but it is not as acute as it was in the times when these essays were written. Communications, transportation, electronics, rocket technology – it’s all better now. We can still go to the planets.

We still live in an age of marvels, and it’s still true that the only limit to growth is nerve.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:08 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,500,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible