Camber of Culdi by Katherine Kurtz
Camber was the greatest of the Deryni who wanted to retire. But it was not to be. The kingdom of Gwynedd groaned under the tyranny of Imre and his sister and mistress, Ariella. And when Camber learned that Cinhil Haldane, a descendant of the previous kings, still lived, he was determined to set him on the throne in place of the evil ones....… (more)
Member:the_darling_copilots
Title:Camber of Culdi
Authors:Katherine Kurtz
Info:Del Rey (1980), Mass Market Paperback

Camber of Culdi by Katherine Kurtz (Author) (1976)

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
Katherine Kurtz really knows how to write a fantasy tale that keeps you both interested in the characters and moves the story on a nice pace. The Deryni novels are almost "must read" stories if you have interest in epic fantasy tales.

4.5 Stars for an excellent re-read. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
ok, bit too descriptive of scenery and objects for my taste. slow ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The detail in this book is just incredible - the use of high ritual magic in tandem with High Church rituals is very well done and does not conflict. The different world (that can almost be our own world) called Gwynedd is populated by humans and Deryni, a human race who possess powers such as telepathy and accelerated healing of themselves and others. I was so fascinated by this first volume, despite its dearth of female characters (there is one, then a second who becomes the Queen) that I read on to the others in the series. And maybe it's the others in the series that have brought my rating down to 2 stars, as it's hard to read this volume knowing what happens in future volumes. But as a standalone book, it is quite good. A little bogged down in the Court detail, too: I'm not that interested in whose standard bears the Gules Rampant. Others who are will enjoy these details. I thought the story of wishing to restore the human Crown Prince of Haldane to the throne is a fine and noble one; just wish there could have been less sacrifice from all concerned. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
This is the start of Kurtz's 'prequel' trilogy, going back in time to the life of Saint Camber. Camber was introduced in the previous trilogy as a patron saint of the Deryni and in particular the kingdom of Gwynedd.
I really enjoyed these novels. The combination of her magic system and the Deryni people, the richness of the medieval political and church background makes these very vivid books. The characters are strong, believable and complex. Very good books. This is a addition to my review of the paperback edition. ( )
  Karlstar | Mar 2, 2012 |
A truly great series, but the original trilogy is still the best. ( )
  willowcove | Feb 19, 2009 |

mountainous Meara, the Land Beyond the River;
and Kheldour, the windswept;
and pastoral Eastmarch;
Tolan, and Torenth, and myth-ridden Mooryn;
and lost Caeriesse, which sank beneath the sea;
and far-reaching Gwynedd, seat of the Haldane Kings.
--LAY OF THE LORD LLEWELLYN, Troubadour to the High King of Mooryn
For
Frederick Harry Kurtz
and for

The good folk of the Society of Creative Anachronism, without whom this book would have been finished far sooner, but far less well.
Author doth not live by typewriter alone!
By the reign of Kelson I, he had been a legend for more than two hundred years, in turn respected, venerated, and feared.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,791,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible